iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's not fast

Started by woodmills1, May 13, 2009, 09:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

It is scary hire an employee now fast

so much for 2 shots of the new Bob's Lt 70 set up on the newly flattened by caterpillar area.  Man this thing cuts, need to hire an offbearer soon, it's fast but........ then the dreaded sound of o,  o.... O my good not one but two eye bolts 2 inches apart.  Was quite the ordeal to get this fiasco back to fast.  Blade took a turn inch up and it was a bear to get back to cutting.

made a few cuts with the chain saw and hacked out the metal with the old east wing framing hammer

started to learn a little about the accuset on the next log and hit maybe 7 dry wall screws................ouch................ >:( :D

need some help learning how to use the pattern function to end up with like a 6x6 or 4x4.

but I sure do like the auto drop, when I remember to hit the right button............felt lika newbee all over again

DID i SAY THIS THING IS SERIOUS, SCARY, HIRE SOMEONE QUICK FAST
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

nas

Now who would hang drywall on a tree? ???

Nice pics.   8) 8)  Gotta hate it when the new machine works too fast 8) 8)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Dave Shepard

You'll think it's even faster when you start using accuset. I don't know if the first version is the same as Accuset 2, so I won't confuse you. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

I did get the hang of auto down and auto up, it is the pattern I don't have a clue on.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

We need someone to make a video. ;) I could make one, but I could hand deliver it before I could ever figure out how to edit it and upload it. ::) So you have any manuals with the machine?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

You can save 16 separate pattern, how you configure then depends on what you cut.
Example:
1 5/8   1 5/8   1 5/8   5 5/8
1 5/8    1 5/8   5 5/8   5 5/8
1 5/8   5 5/8   5 5/8   5 5/8
If I am cutting straight 2x6, I use these four patterns, and switch back and forth between them. I also have four more set up the same way for cutting 2x4's.  another four set for thin stock and the other four for thick stock, and I can change them on a moments notice if the customer wants an odd thickness. I have the accuset set for the thickness of the saw so that the kerf is added in with each bump.
The LT-70 sure kicks out the wood but them nails and screws will still stop it dead in its tracks.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

I found out about 3 maybe 4 years ago while sawing with my FIL, that an LT40 won't cut through a sheetrock screw.
In fact, won't hardly leave a mark.
I would suppose any band mill would have pretty much the same results.

You seem to be doing well with that machine.  Keep up the good work.
Good Luck;

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Jim,its takes a wile to get used to that puter,just be sure to put it on manual and not drop it on a cant.I still haven't figgured out how end up with the last board perfect.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ljmathias

Don't have accuset but I have discovered something that makes my life a whole lot easier- the last board is ALWAYS perfect, it just may not be a perfect you want right then so save it for later in your "perfect" stack, stickered along with all the other oddly perfect last-boards.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dan_Shade

most of the time, I can make my last board as perfect as the other ones...

take that how you will  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

If you are using accuset, the last board will be whatever the setting is in the computer. If it says 1-27/32", that's what it will be, unless you are in need of adjustment.

woodmills1

I am used to peeling the outside to end up with say a 6x6 or 4x4.  Can I use the pattern cut to do that?  The 70 up down is so fast it is hard to get it to stop where you want it.  I just got an idea though since it is in 1/32" increment I can just use one auto up and one auto down in 32's and then auto up what ever thickness I want to cut around my center untill I get to the top of the cant.

I think I have another problem.....  the accuset is not referenced to the bed rails, it is nearly 1" off.  It said I was at 7/32" and it cut an inch and a quarter board.

anyone have an easy way to make the adjustment to the accuset so it has the same zero as the scale?

Dave Shepard

I'd have to look in the manual. It is very easy to readjust the bed reference, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I take it you don't have the accuset manual? Will WM send you one? Also, call your WM dealer, I use New York, but I'm sure Maine can talk you through it over the phone as well.

woodmills1

wow I just figured it out.

on faces one and two, set log height on manuel, then switch to auto down for what ever thickness board I need at the time.

program say the fourth button on both up and down to 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 etc

now flip log to third face and say I want a 6x6.  bring head down close to 6. say it stops at 5 3/4.  go to auto up 1/4... bingo 6".  then back to auto up whatever thickness board I want and hit it as many times till I get to the top of the log.  then cut using auto down at same thickness till the accuset is at 6"

woodmills1

Yes I have the manual for the accuset but as good as I think I am at reading and learning that manual might as well be in Italian or french.

Papa1stuff

I had that problem also ,I called WM and they walked me through it .Now when Accuset says 1" from bed it is!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Dave Shepard

If you can program the presets, then all you need to do is set the bed reference. Is it possible to be on a phone will you are at the mill? Or tow the mill up next to your house and run a phone out to it? :D I saw all my cherry for flooring at 1 3/16" I also make 2x6 from the centers for our stone pallets. Here are a couple of my patterns:

Pattern 1

1 3/16
"
"
"
"
"
1 3/16

Pattern 2

1 3/16
"
"
"
"

Pattern 3

1 3/16
"
"
"
"

You will also need to set one of your auto downs to 1 3/16. Here is how I would saw a log. Level it up, set the band height by eye, press your auto down button. Take a slab, and as many boards as you want for your opening face. Rotate 90 degrees, set back to manual, and position by eye again, and take a slab and a board. Flip 90, now you have a flat on the bed, you are now pattern sawing. If you are going to take a 6x6, push the pattern button, and then select pattern 3. Now push down on your sawhead lever. It will drop the head to the first planned cut. All the cuts are planned, including kerf loss, and it will stop at 6". You can flip the log back and forth now, and it will always be sawing to get you that 6" cant. When you do flip, you will press the manual button to get out of pattern sawing, raise the head above your desired first cut, then select pattern 3, then the down lever, and away you go. I wish you were closer, I'd spend the day showing you how little I really know about sawing. :D

backwoods sawyer

Set one of your auto up-downs for 6" and it will take you there every time.
To solve the bed height issue, manually set the head so the tip of a tooth on the drive side that is pointed down is at exactly 12". Then push the manual button and follow the steps to calibrate the head. (Be sure to save it) Then reference the rest of the bed rails to that same tooth. The bottom board will be the thickness you set.
Now play with the accuset and see what you can get it to do, it is a real time saver. We got more tricks up our sleeve, and as you get used to it, you will find what works best for you. Although I have talked with several sawyers that just use the accuset as an expensive gauge and never realize the full potential of it.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodmills1

maybe I missed it but when I used auto up at 6" it looked like the saw went up 6" from where it was.  I will try again

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 14, 2009, 09:38:50 PM

on faces one and two, set log height on manuel, then switch to auto down for what ever thickness board I need at the time.

and say I want a 6x6.  bring head down close to 6. say it stops at 5 3/4.  go to auto up 1/4... bingo 6".  then back to auto up whatever thickness board I want and hit it as many times till I get to the top of the log.  then cut using auto down at same thickness till the accuset is at 6"
You can take a few steps out of this process.

Thank You Sponsors!