iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is 61 MPH fast enough?

Started by ElectricAl, April 30, 2004, 06:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

Last week we had a high wind Warning by the NWS.

Linda was keeping an eye on our weather station as the wind picked up. It held steady at 50 to 55 mph then a blast of 61 :o

Yep, 61 MPH is fast enough ;D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

A gust like that cleans the dead sticks out of the trees and makes the air smell good ;D :D

Are you moving?  Putting the wheels back under the house?

Linda

You would never guess it took ElectricAl and myself 2 hours to reset the top and fix the roof. :o

It's been windy here a lot lately.  A couple of days ago we had a few 60 plus gusts.  Hang on to your hat and body!
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Sawyerfortyish

Wheww I thought you put a radar on your saw  ::). 61mph now thats lumber production :D :D ;)

Percy

If it blows like that steady or at least regularly, you otta think about a wind generator. You could mount it atop of that uptown winnabegga with the removable roof ya got pitcherd there. ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

CHARLIE

Electric Al and Linda, we got the same DanG wind here in SE Minnesota when you did. It was steady starting at night and all the next day. My windows and steel siding really rattled. I was guessing the winds to be about 50mph, but the following day, the weatherman on the radio said they were 60 mph winds.  My house faired OK but I had quite a few shingles in my yard from the house just west of me and the house across the street from me lost all their vinyl siding on the west side of their house.  Sure glad that doesn't happen often. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Sawyer40, you shoulda knowed that wasn't sawmill speed. ???  That's measured in KNOTS! ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norm

We lost some shingles during that one that went through on Sunday a week or so ago. Then Wednesday it took a couple of more off. I'm gonna kidnap ck for a couple of days. ;D

oldsaw

I was driving back from Waterloo that day.  Trucks were getting blown all over the road on I-80.  I-35 wasn't that bad since you were driving dead into it, but the gas guage dropped like a rock.  Then again, I was doing a bit better than 61 going into it. ;D
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Stan

A 61 mph fastball would sure have Kenny Jr. cussin'.  8) Course he might just hit it the second time around.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Linda

Percy,
I've been trying to talk ElectricAl into a wind generator for several years now.  He says it's not cost effective (his dad used to work for the electric company...a bit biased, I'm afraid). ::)  Or it could be he thinks our winnabegga might transport it to someone else. ???

It blows all the time here. We are on top of a hill in open farm country.  We're usually any where from 5-20 mph above the local measurements. The other day we all seemed to be within 5 mph of each other.    

About a year ago we bought a weather station to be able to monitor the weather better.  The highest gust we have recorded was 77mph. :o  It's been in the 70's three times in the last year.  Makes a person, in a metal pole building with 16' side walls, a little nervous.
Especially, when you're told that pole buildings are able to withstand 70 to 80 mph winds. :-/
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

J_T

Be a good time to get rid of some sawdust :D :D
Jim Holloway

Jeff

We were in the eastern U.P. for the last 3 days and it looks like every other house out in the open had shingles blown off. It was our first trip up to the cabin this spring. Lots of barns did not survive the winter. Seen at least a half dozen caved in or collapsed from snow loads.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ADfields

March of 2003 the Anchorage air port had to shut down for 3 days due to high winds.   For 26 hours of that it never got slower then 60mph with gusts well over 100mph, for a half hour it was sustained wind speeds over 95mph. :o :o   After the first 100mph gust they cleared everyone from the air tower and stated that it was swaying back and forth over 10 feet up there and they got sea sick. :-/   It blew the windows out of most of the office buildings down town and the 5 degree temps froze all the pipes inside in a flash. :o   Hear in palmer it blew the roof off the school and most every thing around but all I lost was our green house and a bunch of trees.   My roof shingles were froze down and no one was killed thank god!! 8)   I don't have much use for wind after that!!!! >:(
Andy

Ianab

From experience.. around 70mph the walls peel of a pole barn  :o
After that me and Dad BOLTED the walls on!
Also from experiance.. at 80 mph the 12" pine poles snap off and the complete wall flys away, bolts and all  :o  :o
Luckily no one lived within 2 miles downwind.
Found a complete wall with 3 poles still attached about 1/4 mile away.

really strong wind is scary stuff  :o

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bibbyman

Shortly after putting up our dust pipe, we had wind gusts up to 35mph.  It held steady.   :)

Wednesday evening we were getting gusts up to 45mph.  We passed the limit.  

Fortunately,  not much damage was done.  We haven't set it back up yet as we've been down in Arkansas the last couple of days.  Looks like a 20 minute job I can work at most of the day. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

QuoteLuckily no one lived within 2 miles downwind.

ian

Does this mean you wiped them ALL OUT? :o
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stan

Remind me to use the cheapest, flimsyest, vinyl siding I can find on my pole barn.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!