iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I started the original Whatcha Sawin' ?? topic with this picture back in 2014.  Wow, how many of our logs have become lumber and sawdust in the past 8 years??

My next sawing year will begin with 10 now 11 now 12 jobs on the schedule book.  Probably the first being another whole house framing lumber job sawing 2X6's.  I have a very nice ERC job that I have looked at and a cabin to saw out which will be framing lumber and siding.  I have communicated with the "sand box" customer and will probably be there in February or March.  :-X  I know, but this is a repeat customer.

The 2022 topic is now locked so the question is:  Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kkcomp

Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

Larry

Slabs and cookies.  Pin oak yard tree.

Sorta reminds me of zebra wood.

I have 32" between the guides but the log stops steal 3".  Not a problem when slabbing logs but it is when sawing cookies sometimes.  To regain that 3" I clamp a couple pieces of steel in place to act as a log stop.

These cookies are right at 31" in diameter.  I sawed 30 similar size cookies for this customer a little over a year ago.  They sold all after making them into tables....I won't tell ya the price they get.

This job was for a repeat customer.  The business is a full time gig for them.  I'm proud to be supplier of choice.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

I had to saw some 20' pine. This stuff kicks my butt, because it disrupts the flow of how I do things on the mill. Everything is laid out around my board drag back, but on 20' logs the head can't go past the end of the log far enough for the drag back to drop off the end and hook the board. Not to mention everything is long, awkward, and heavy. 

The sawn finish on this frozen Red Pine is pretty incredible. Running some Kasco 1.5x.050 blades that are the same profile as WM Turbo 7's. Like the Turbo 7, they also leave a lot of frozen sawdust packed on the cant though. I ordered a couple of WM Vortex blades to try.

Too many irons in the fire

TimW

rusticretreater,
A quack and a whack are the same difference.  Just depends if you have webbed feet or not.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

olcowhand,
We didn't haggle long.  It was actually a total of $$$.  I said 300 and he said 500.  Then I said 400, then he said 450.  I gave him $448.25, as that was all the cash I had on hand.  I broke it down into a price per log, as all I had to compare the price to was McCoys lumber online price for 8 foot 7-8 inch top posts.  I did real well it seems.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Magicman,
Thanks!  I was going nuts thinking of ways to contact someone to get Jeff's attention for me.  I sent PMs out on TBN and got back on briefly enough to PM Jeff here.  I have no idea how I did that.  I remembered your Knothole webpage and found it, planning on calling you the day I connected with Jeff.

Since you got to post your ERC logs again................here is my quack, eh I mean Whack of ERC again................

hugs,  Brandi

cutterboy

Quote from: Bindian on January 01, 2023, 03:54:20 AM
rusticretreater,
A quack and a whack are the same difference.  Just depends if you have webbed feet or not.
hugs,  Brandi
:D :D :D
Brandi, you have a good sense of humor. Glad you're back.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

cutterboy

barbender, I have to give you credit for sawing lumber out in the cold and snow. That does not look like fun to me.

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on January 01, 2023, 04:07:39 AMSince you got to post your ERC logs again................here is my quack, eh I mean Whack of ERC again........
Yours are prettier than mine but then again, so are you.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Barbender, your pictures look like they could be sold as Wood-Mizer post cards.  

I hope that all of you enjoy good health and prosperity this year.

Caveman

Old Greenhorn

Brandi, glad you clawed your way back to the forum. I would say that quack of logs was a huge score. I don't see much rot and a lot of heartwood. Should make beautiful lumber! As for the money side, you should make that back in just a couple of those logs, easy.
 Happy new year!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Happy New Year all!  I think in 2023 I'm gonna saw more boards than live edge.  I'm getting tired of moving huge live edge slabs around.  I will still saw some when I get a log that looks good for it.  I do get requests for live edge tables, so maybe the ones I saw I will keep for myself and store them in my wifes office building after they are dried.  I'm looking forward to sharpening all of my own blades this year.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Happy 2023 to all y'all too! ;D
And thank you Mr. Magic Man for keeping the thread going! smiley_thumbsup

I'm thinking the same, cutting more 1" boards and fewer natural edge slabs. Some of the wider sugar maple slabs I cut and dried for a year, took a slight twist from end to end. Lost a sale because of it, and as said they get heavy when you have to dig through the whole stack to find one size.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

ladylake

Quote from: Larry on December 31, 2022, 10:27:33 PM
Slabs and cookies.  Pin oak yard tree.

Sorta reminds me of zebra wood.

I have 32" between the guides but the log stops steal 3".  Not a problem when slabbing logs but it is when sawing cookies sometimes.  To regain that 3" I clamp a couple pieces of steel in place to act as a log stop.

These cookies are right at 31" in diameter.  I sawed 30 similar size cookies for this customer a little over a year ago.  They sold all after making them into tables....I won't tell ya the price they get.

This job was for a repeat customer.  The business is a full time gig for them.  I'm proud to be supplier of choice.
That log should give your blade  good test.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

GAB

Quote from: Larry on December 31, 2022, 10:27:33 PM

These cookies are right at 31" in diameter.  I sawed 30 similar size cookies for this customer a little over a year ago.  They sold all after making them into tables....I won't tell ya the price they get.

This job was for a repeat customer.  The business is a full time gig for them.  I'm proud to be supplier of choice.
If those were oreo sides it would take an awful lot of middle.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Rafterman

Uncle brought over white pine, Said he wanted as many 3" thick pieces as I could get. Ended up with this pile. It was about 50 degrees out and muddy.

KWood255

Planed some white poplar this afternoon for the new house. It's such an under rated species around here. 

cutterboy

white poplar? Is that aspen, what many people call popple?

John S

No photos, but I milled some red oak and then a few white oaks on Friday (December 30) for trailer decking.  Turbo 7 (fresh from Resharp) for the first log (red oak) did a great job.  One pass on the next log (white oak) looked like waves on the ocean.  I put a brand new 4° on and smooth sailing for the rest of the job.  Glad I brought the 4° box with me. Happy New Year to all!!!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

beenthere

Quote from: cutterboy on January 02, 2023, 07:00:22 AM
white poplar? Is that aspen, what many people call popple?
Maybe Kwood255 means Populus alba
White Poplar (Populus alba) - British Trees - Woodland Trust

Would be helpful to all if Kwood listed his location in his profile. Easy to do, just click on user name and there the profile can be updated to include where one is in the world. 8)

We don't know where "around here" is located.  ;) :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

Quoted from  Wikipedia

Populus tremuloides is a deciduous tree native to cooler areas of North America, one of several species referred to by the common name aspen. It is commonly called quaking aspen, trembling aspen, American aspen, Quakies, mountain or golden aspen, trembling poplar, white poplar, popple, as well as others. The trees have tall trunks, up to 25 meters (82 feet) tall, with smooth pale bark, scarred with black.

If I'm not mistaken, Kwood255 is in the Kenora, Ontario area
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mooseherder

Some Quaking Aspen I harvested last summer.  It's air drying now. :)

barbender

Aspen will make you think you have your saw really dialed in, because you can fly through it about wide open😊 It has a lot of stress in it though. As seen in Kwoods pictures, if you work around it's quirks, it makes beautiful paneling!

I'd venture a guess that quaking aspen is the most harvested species in Minnesota. It is the backbone of our entire timber industry. We cut it down, it grows back and we cut it down again in about 40 years. Rinse and repeat.
Too many irons in the fire

richhiway

<b

r>Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you. Have not been running the LT 40 we have had some not so nice weather. Had 50 and rain and the lows the next two mornings were below zero. Ice everywhere. We have had mild temps for the last week or so so I was able to finish the doors and start on the trim and siding. Really like the lap siding. I have a few cants and need a few more so I can put the lapside attachment on the mill and cut the rest. Should have the planer set up soon. Ordered a 3 phase converter the other day. The planer is 5hp 3ph. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!