Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Quote from: Resonator on January 01, 2023, 11:16:12 AM
Happy 2023 to all y'all too! ;D
And thank you Mr. Magic Man for keeping the thread going! smiley_thumbsup

I'm thinking the same, cutting more 1" boards and fewer natural edge slabs. Some of the wider sugar maple slabs I cut and dried for a year, took a slight twist from end to end. Lost a sale because of it, and as said they get heavy when you have to dig through the whole stack to find one size.
That happened to me on the first few so now I cut them to 3 inches + and then put them back on the mill after they dry and take a quarter or so off each side to true them. Saves a lot of planning.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Resonator

Sounds like a good way to do it Richiway. smiley_thumbsup
Of the woods I saw, sugar maple tends to twist the most. 

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

randy d

We finally had some time and warmer weather so we pulled the mill out of the barn and sawed 2 White birch and 1 Cherry made good lumber sorry I don't have pics. But it was nice to run the saw again  Temp was around 26 degrees and no wind pretty good for January 2.  Randy

Magicman

I have already had to update my sawing schedule twice this year.  A job yesterday and another today.  There will be no sawing by me until after the 9th.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

I was expecting you ta say no more sawing for me 'till after today.    :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

Our plans are to go to the Cabin on the 3rd and hopefully be able to stay at least until the end of the week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: cutterboy on January 01, 2023, 06:59:34 AM
Quote from: Bindian on January 01, 2023, 03:54:20 AM
rusticretreater,
A quack and a whack are the same difference.  Just depends if you have webbed feet or not.
hugs,  Brandi
:D :D :D
Brandi, you have a good sense of humor. Glad you're back.
Thanks.  I am glad my humor is back too.
              hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2023, 07:58:14 AM
Quote from: Bindian on January 01, 2023, 04:07:39 AMSince you got to post your ERC logs again................here is my quack, eh I mean Whack of ERC again........
Yours are prettier than mine but then again, so are you.  :)
Lynn,
    I am so happy you think I am prettier than your whack of cedar! :D 8) :D
             hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 01, 2023, 08:41:30 AM
Brandi, glad you clawed your way back to the forum. I would say that quack of logs was a huge score. I don't see much rot and a lot of heartwood. Should make beautiful lumber! As for the money side, you should make that back in just a couple of those logs, easy.
Happy new year!
Thanks OGH!
First thing I looked for when they dumped out of the trailer was rot and only one of the shorter logs has a hole in the center about an 1 in diameter.
Yeppers, sawing three of the biggest logs should bring back the majority of my cash outlay.
hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

Are you sawing them into stock and speculating on the right buyer coming by or will you custom saw them on demand once you have a buyer? If sawing into stock what sizes will you saw? I have had several of my customers with a little cedar want it sawed into thin boards to make it go further.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

I sawed a juniper log into 5/8" thick stock and sold it all to a fellow for making jewelry boxes.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

E-Tex

A few things I really don't like....... (especially all at the end of a long day)  fiddle-smiley

Sawing stickers
Sawing into nails
Busted Hydraulic lines

But I LOVE milling 5/4 Post Oak Lumber!!

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

JoshNZ

We got finished laying the floors of our holiday batch last week, maybe NA folks would call it a cottage. A place 2 hours drive from home near the beach, which we added two stand alone bedrooms to.

It has been a long hair pulling process starting at stroppy tension laiden logs right through drying, machining, laying, and finally sanding and finishing. Every step has felt like we might not end up with anything useable so it has been a struggle to keep the faith!

Finally we have furniture moved in on top of it and absolutely delighted with how it looks. Acacia Melanoxylon or Blackwood as it's called here.

beenthere

Looks very pleasing to the eye. What is the finish?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JoshNZ

A floor wax/oil called fiddes, made in the UK. Low toxicity, rated for use on children's toys even. We had our floors at home refinished by a guy who used it and has stood up to the weather and pets very well. We only sanded the blackwood floors to 120 so it has given it a dry appearance rather that a glossy poly finish like at home, but it suits the setting up there perfectly

Rafterman

A couple of blowdown pines turned into about 100 board feet. 

Machinebuilder

I'm here to ask for suggestions on how to cut this

its a Box Elder that was cut yesterday before a monsoon hit.

I would like to get the most red/flame, look in the boards, probably cut 1" thick

My first step is going to be turn and trim it so I can get the head over the log
after that it where I am looking for suggestions

I also have a couple white oak that I will quartersaw the best I can

They will fit on the mill better

Thanks

Dave
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Resonator

Box elder is kind of hit and miss, not every log has the red flame streaks. You'd square it up into a cant (or cants) and keep turning it, looking for the face with the best color. I quarter saw oak by breaking to log into quarters, and turning each individual piece to cut 90° to the rings.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

rusticretreater

Turn it vertical(hopefully it is narrow enough for the saw gullet).  Trim it down until it can be turned and fit in the gullet.  Get it to a cant and then whatever you want after that.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

richhiway

Quote from: JoshNZ on January 03, 2023, 05:04:24 PM
We got finished laying the floors of our holiday batch last week, maybe NA folks would call it a cottage. A place 2 hours drive from home near the beach, which we added two stand alone bedrooms to.

It has been a long hair pulling process starting at stroppy tension laiden logs right through drying, machining, laying, and finally sanding and finishing. Every step has felt like we might not end up with anything useable so it has been a struggle to keep the faith!

Finally we have furniture moved in on top of it and absolutely delighted with how it looks. Acacia Melanoxylon or Blackwood as it's called here.

Beautiful. Great result for your efforts!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: Machinebuilder on January 04, 2023, 10:14:41 AM
I'm here to ask for suggestions on how to cut this

its a Box Elder that was cut yesterday before a monsoon hit.

I would like to get the most red/flame, look in the boards, probably cut 1" thick

My first step is going to be turn and trim it so I can get the head over the log
after that it where I am looking for suggestions

I also have a couple white oak that I will quartersaw the best I can

They will fit on the mill better

Thanks

Dave
Here is some Box Elder I cut last spring.

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

boonesyard

Boxelder is hard to keep flat while it's drying. Overcut it substantially so you've got enough meat to make something of it after it's dry. You need a lot of stock to get enough to make something, but it's striking with natural finish.

This is a fireplace surround I just recently did for a customer with some good flame in it :D. Turned out well, but took a lot to get what we needed.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Rafterman

Good day sawing up this cherry even though it was snowing. I have a guy who is interested in buying 6" wide 4/4 so I got as much as I could out of the butt. It was only about 7' long and had a little punk around the pith. I'd say I ended up with about 70 board feet. I am not sure what is a fair price per bf?

I also took the crooked section and laid it on its side and made these. The sweep meant I needed a 3" thick piece to contain the pith. I have someone interested in buying these as well. No idea what I should charge.

Also had a broken recoil so I ended up using my electric start by hooking/unhooking jumper cables every time I wanted to start the engine. Kind of a pain. Finished up just as it was getting dark.

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 03, 2023, 09:20:28 AM
Brandi,

Are you sawing them into stock and speculating on the right buyer coming by or will you custom saw them on demand once you have a buyer? If sawing into stock what sizes will you saw? I have had several of my customers with a little cedar want it sawed into thin boards to make it go further.
A customer that I sawed cedar for before requested the three biggest logs cut into 1 inch live edge.  12 foot long
When I get a chance, I will saw some for myself into 1x3s and 1x6s for window and baseboard trim.

Only spec sawing I do is SYP 8 foot 1x12s and 12 and 16 foot 2x6s.  Then I post an ad on Craigslist, where folks inquire if I can cut other stuff.  BIG ERC is too hard to find around here to cut hoping someone will want what you cut.

I have a Craigslist ad right now for custom cut cedar.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!