Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

That usually sums up cedar pretty well🤷
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

An ERC is next on tap for me to saw but the customer is having a bit of difficulty getting tailgunner help.  It will not be next week for sure so maybe the next.

There is one other that might get ready but there again.....might not.

I am thinking that after school is out the the Senior Trips over, customers can find help.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

No sawing in WV for me. :(

I went over and put the new Up/Down switch on and the down portion works but not the up. Bob talked me through reversing the poles on the motor of the the down switch raised the motor so I could move the head and hydraulics to the travel position. Of course I had to reverse them back to lower the head then. I'm going to make me a couple of jumper wires with alligator clips to make that easier in the future and for other testing needs. Anyway the mill is home right now.

We determined/concluded/guess/hope it is the H-Bridge to the SimpleSet and I ordered another one of them and it is in process now. I will see how hard that is to replace and if that fixes the problem later this or more likely next week.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

After getting rid of my backlog my plan to slow down a bit is finally taking shape.  I am excited about getting a break from the action.  My objective is no more than 2-3 jobs every 3-4 weeks.

I have 5 jobs on the book with no one actually ready.  A year ago there was 12-15 jobs on the book with 2-3 ready and waiting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Lost about an hour this morning customer didn't have logs arranged, he called a neighbor with a tractor to come move them while I waited. Tractor guy was none too happy. Then wanted 2x full width out of 2 25" x 8 ft maples, after first narrow one I pulled them forward and showed him how to get them off the mill without picking up both ends. Took about 4-1/2 hr overall on site to do three logs but I made a good minimum it being an hour from home. 

There was a silent protest at McD on the way there I think it was over McNuggets on the menu. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Now that is funny no matter who you are.  :D

mapleveneer

Today it was white pine bar tops slabs.  36 in wide, 2 in thick, and 16 ft long.  Maxed out the 36 in wide mill.

Stephen1

We went to a great job yesterday, brought my helper/organizer, the customer had a Skidsteer and a helper. Great location, all pine logs from his house build. I was afraid the logs were going to be full of weevil but they were okay. I missed getting the early pictures of the yard we were set up in. 

Just fit, in fact I had to push and pull this to fit as the I sawed it.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

richhiway

Cut a small ash that was dead in my yard. Has a few nice boards.
Then picked this Cherry with a sweep in it to cut gunstock blanks. My brother in law builds flintlock rifles and pistols. I leveled it to cut parallel to the bark and cut these near the center above and below the pith so they are the closest to quarter sawn. The closest to quarter sawn provides equal grain on each side.Many stock builders like crotch figure, these Cherry's have a little bit if you can work around the knots. Gunstock blanks are interesting, something I would like to learn more about. Yellow Hammer's videos have given me an education in attempting to cut decent hardwood.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Cut a couple small Hemlocks into 1X6 for a friend, started cutting the clapboard siding to finish the planer shed. We have had a long run of beautiful weather here in the Catskills.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

I didn't saw much this morning from these 4 pecker poles from one SYP tree that fell during a recent storm.  2X4's & 2X6's.  Didn't get paid much because I didn't charge much.  ::)

Sometimes I will do stuff like this simply because I can.   :)

The ERC last Wednesday was another example and tomorrow's sawing will be another.  Just getting rid of some stuff and making a few previous customers  happy.  ;D

bags

Sometimes its good to keep folks happy Linn.

I started in on bug bit ponderosa this afternoon in between rain storms. 23 logs to go---

Magicman

Looking good Dave.

I did not think that this one was going to be much, but it is OK.

The SYP that will be sawn into 2X4's & 2X6's next week after I finish the Poplar and Cherry.

Cherry and Tulip Poplar.

Some of the Poplar was OK.  ;D

I did not get any pictures of the Cherry, but this is some of the Poplar.  I sawed 1014bf today and will return tomorrow for my last day this week.

jpassardi

That rainbow poplar is sweet.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

firefighter ontheside

I had a customer bring some sweet gum to saw today.  We milled it all 8/4.  I was actually a little disappointed in the color.  Previous sweet gum that I have milled has had a lot of color.  This was mostly white with some color as you got real close to the pith.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I only had about 10 logs to saw before finishing the Poplar.

It was a smallish log but I did find a bit more Rainbow.

Sawed 581bf this morning and done by noon.

I'll go back Tuesday and begin sawing the 22 SYP logs which will all be framing lumber.

I guess that folks are waking up because I got 2 more calls this morning.  10 on the Book now, crap.  :-X

WV Sawmiller

After replacing the H-bridge on my mill I needed to run a test log or to so I bucked  a stock poplar log to 8' and 10'. I have a 3' butt cut-off at a sharp curve I may mill into stickers or a bunch of short 2X4s.

I sawed them into 4/4 boards for stock for my use or sale (Anything I have in stock is available for sale if a customer comes by and wants it :D).

A couple hundred bf of 4/4 boards. I called my last customer and he brought a rollback over with 3 more chestnut beams to resaw into 3/4" boards for paneling.

The second log turned out to be poplar. It also had 2 nails about 2" from the end on the final face he missed so he bought me a new blade. He wife also told him to bring back another dozen tomato stakes as seen on the left on this picture. She had already bought 2 dozen. This is the customer where my mill broke down last week so I was glad to finish with him for now and these are the last chestnut beams he had to saw. I had one scare with the mill stopped moving forward or up and down and I thought either the new H-bridge or Switch had failed. Turned out it was just a tripped breaker. I never found what got it bound up to make it trip so I sawed another log after the customer left. No more problems.

I decided to saw a few more tomato stakes out of a 5' white oak "log" I had in stock. Jake did a better job ripping the 38' cypress than I did on this 5' log. ::)

I still got 63 5' long stakes and 11 4' stakes out of that section of the log and the other piece has over 2/3 of the log. It was too heavy to lift with my little FEL. All told a little over 500 bf sawed today.

I stacked and stickered the poplar, put points on the stakes and shrink wrapped them into bundles of a dozen and planed a 1X6 and 1X8 dry poplar board for crates and left that for tomorrow.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

FFOTS, if you can let Sweet Gum sit for 6 months or more and the color will bleed into the sap wood quite a bit, it also helps to reduce stress and movement in the lumber. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: Southside on May 24, 2023, 10:18:18 PM
FFOTS, if you can let Sweet Gum sit for 6 months or more and the color will bleed into the sap wood quite a bit, it also helps to reduce stress and movement in the lumber.
Glad you mentioned this.  A repeat customer dropped off 3 twelve foot Sweetgum logs yesterday.  What other advice do Y'all suggest for sawing Sweetgum?  I have never sawn it.
 hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Southside

What is their intended use? Quarter sawing it doesn't improve the appearance, but it helps with movement. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: Southside on May 24, 2023, 10:32:40 PM
What is their intended use? Quarter sawing it doesn't improve the appearance, but it helps with movement.
He hasn't told me the use or the sizes.  It won't be quarter sawn.  I won't be cutting them until next week or two. 
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Southside

Well if it's green, and flat sawn, I hope he is making airplane propellors, because there is a good chance that's what he will end up with. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I've been sawing 16' red oak trailer decking. Every time I saw long oak, I swear I won't do it again! Our hardwood quality up here just doesn't lend itself to getting long lumber without major defects. It seems I end up sawing at least double the board footage, to make my cut list. Plus, I smashed my finger with a 2x 16' oak flitch. Had to walk away from the project for the day🤬😁 

Too many irons in the fire

TimW

Quote from: Southside on May 24, 2023, 11:41:02 PM
Well if it's green, and flat sawn, I hope he is making airplane propellors, because there is a good chance that's what he will end up with.
I told him I have never cut Sweetgum, but he had to add lots of weights or ratchet strap the heck out of it.
                 hugs,  Brandi

Southside

Be careful around the pith, when it dries it will really fall apart, you want to box it into a beam or something. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!