iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I fought the log and the log won (it wasn't a piston)

Started by kkcomp, March 12, 2023, 06:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

It was one of those days I guess. Had a nice oak log just over 16 ft and 26 inches diameter almost no taper. Beautiful log until it got to the mill. First I forgot to dog it and it spun while cutting. Somehow managed to get out of the cut without killing the blade. Flipped the log 180 good cut, back 180 go half an inch below the first cut and get past the spiral cut. Half way down the blade climbs over a knot. stop back out again and flip log end for end. Go back in for the top cut blade climbs over the same knot so back out again. Obviously this side don't want to get cut so put it on the 90 and start cutting again. Boom bang and the distinctive sound of hitting metal. Well blade is full on trashed now and I am beyond fed up, it's chainsaw time. Cut around the knot that keeps giving problems and started digging. The tree had grown around what appears to be a piston out of a small engine.

Pulled out the phone and said I have to get a picture of this SHFT. Dropped phone stepped on it and broke it. I hope the cap comes off a bottle of Jim Beam without incident.

Finally got back to that log. This is what I dug out of it. 

Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

fluidpowerpro

Ya, the log won! Would love to see a picture of the piston inside to log.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

thecfarm

I would use a plastic cup for the Jim Beam.
Don't want to break a glass one.  :(
Better sit in the house for the rest of the night. 
Don't touch anything you don't want to replace. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Some days just aren't meant to be easy.

Murphy is a cruel hard-hearted enforcer.  There are times to let him prove his point and win the battle.  Just don't let him win the war. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

B.C.C. Lapp

Yup. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

TSAW

Dang sorry you lost the fight, but there is always tomorrow.  Yes please get someone to take a picture of that piston in the log.

moodnacreek

The older I get the more time I spend sorting logs and metal detecting them. I hate screwing around when the generator is running. I really hate having to fix something on the days I have a helper and hardly a day goes by without a breakdown.  To have to put teeth in the saw and get a bad log out ruins the whole day.

Old Greenhorn

We ALL get days like that. I think your plan B was appropriate and hopefully you got through that without incident. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Some logs just beg to become firewood, and then some beg to simply become worm food. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Bucking logs in the hot sun 
I fought the log and the log won
I needed lumber cause I had none 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Old Greenhorn

Good one Percy, you should finish the whole tune and record it. Call it the Sawyer's theme song.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rusticretreater

I left my sawmill and it feels so bad
Them logs was a bad run
They the worst logs I ever had
I fought the logs and the logs won
I fought the logs and the logs won
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

kelLOGg

Maybe the cause of your problems were bad piston rings. 😳 
Oh man, what a day!! You deserved a jim beam break. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DanMc

Don't let the log win!  Once you've cooled off, get in there and dig out whatever that was.  That's a prize that you can boast about for years.   A piston from a modern engine would be aluminum and easy to cut through,  but the rings would be super hard and wouldn't give up easy.  There's still a lot of good wood left in that log.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Redmt

Never let an inanimate object win no matter how much explosives it takes to maintain superiority.
Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

ppine

Every log is a new challenge, because you never really know what is in there. 
Defect is the wild card in all larger trees. 
I would rather work with larger timber and work around the defect than spend my life in the pulp business or pre-commercial thinning. 
Forester

Resonator

Funny thing is this is least the second (or third) time someone has used that song on here. Last time it was termites I recall, and I wrote a verse.  ;D

I lost my shirt on a dirty oak
the termites ate a ton
All my profits went up in smoke
I fought the log, and the log won
I fought the log, and the log won smiley_guitarist
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

kkcomp

Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

AndyVT

Thank You Sponsors!