iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is old residential Elm worth hauling home

Started by busyguyfish, March 16, 2023, 11:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Doc,
We call any wood that has the characteristic epicormic look as "bear claw" because it looks like the leftover claw marks of a bear climbing the tree.  We see it much more in poplar here, but yours was striking indeed.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Larry you got me pumped about this 40" Elm that's on the hit list that's dead about saving the crotch wood! 

farmfromkansas

We have lots of elm here in Kansas, I sawed some, and was air drying it in an old grain bin, and the whole pile filled up with PPB.  So next time, will treat it with solubore right off the mill.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Larry

"U" crotches show the best figure.  "V" crotches have ingrown bark which can be cool if you fill with epoxy.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Larry thanks for the reminder! I've got several serious U crotches on several big walnuts I will be taking down and saving

Ed

American Elm is  eautifull wood, still have 2 millable trees that are healthy.

It is tricky to work with, it moves alot. I've found it best to cut/plane it several times to get final dimensions.

Ed

tacks Y

Quote from: bitternut on March 17, 2023, 04:12:54 PM
tacks Y...... I think you may need to get a tree book. I have a hard time believing that there are no elm trees in NW PA.

They are those large trees with a vase shaped crown. A lot of them usually die from dutch elm disease before they get big but some still mange to reach saw log size.
You are right, just none that I know of or have access to. I had one here that I sawed down for my flooring.

Stephen1

Larry do you have a side view of that table? I am air drying 2  piles of Elm slabs and crotchs, . I hope to make my new dining room from the elm. It is my favourite looking wood. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Resonator

QuoteAnother friend grabs all the big elm for slab tables.  Think this one sold for 6 grand.
That table looks like it weighs 6 grand too. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

JoshNZ

I was given a red elm log last year, we did really well out of it. Giant butt log I had to break into quarters to get on the mill and a nice few couple of chunks further up. The bed was a project with a buddy in our workshop, that was the last of it. I sure would jump on another one if I came across it.

Walnut Beast

Looks great Josh! Nice job and great pictures! 

Larry

Quote from: Stephen1 on March 18, 2023, 01:56:55 PM
Larry do you have a side view of that table?
Sorry, those are the only two pictures I took.  Should have got additional pics as it was a work of art.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moodnacreek

On that elm tree I would put my metal detector on it before I did anything else.  Elm is to me the most beautiful hardwood. However it is not easy to handle. It warps, twists, bows, etc. worse than the other hard woods and does not air dry well for me. Don't saw any thing less than 5/4 and put your sticks 12" on center and wide sticks overhanging the ends of the boards. High narrow piles weighted heavy. Cut alot more than you need. If you are not familiar with elm don't judge it until is has been planed and sanded down with fine sandpaper. Either gray or red elm, it doesn't matter, the beauty is undeniable .

Menagerie-Manor

The piles of the Old London Bridge were of Elm and lasted for nearly 600 years.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Magicman

Maybe so but my Elm has no rot resistance, below or above ground. 

Submerged could be a different story.  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanMc

Quote from: kelLOGg on March 17, 2023, 09:08:55 AM
How many feet does she have!? ;D
A woman has two feet, but never enough shoes or clothes.
A man has two feet and two hands (most of the time), but never has enough tools.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Stephen1

Years ago I was contacted by the purchasing agent of Canada's submarine maintenance company. They wanted 24"x24" Elm blocks 36" long. They attached them to bottom of sub for when the Submarines scrape the bottom, elm did not split as oak or other hardwood because it is so stringy. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!