iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle lap siding jig

Started by Crossroads, March 18, 2023, 10:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattM

Here you go. The angled pieces sit on the mill rails and the plywood is to stop the thing from sliding forward or backward.
Its very simple to use, I just lay it on the rails with my back stops up an inch or so and I clamp the jig with the mills screw clamps.

Soon I have to make a new one to fit the woodmizer and There are a few changes I would make. 
1. I'd use a 2x for the bottom so that there would be a little more meat.
2. I'd cut a 1/4-1/2inch rabbit down the side the the backstop is on to have a spot for sawdust to go.
3. I'd have large holes every few feet of the rabbit so I can easily scrape the sawdust out of the rabbit.

LT35HDG25

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Picture of my Planer Shed. I have the lapsider I picked up used. Works Great. I have a stack of cants to run through it to finish the siding.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Crossroads

No apologies necessary OG, I appreciate the information! I would have been upset to set it up and find out about the 2" dog board. 

I like the looks of that jig! I bet I could make more than one for $1300 😋 I'm still going to swing by WM on my way home, but I'm pretty sure I won't have a jig in the back of my truck when I get home. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

GAB

Mr. Crossroads:
Bring your tape measure with you and measure from where the cant rests to the top of the clamping pawl corner and add 1/4" for safety and that will be the approximate height of the dog boards.  The added 1/4" is to avoid what I did when I thunkeded that I could squeeze out one more layer.  (I was making shingles)  Yup you guessed it, I scrapped a blade, but part of my first pawl was nice and shiny for a bit.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Crossroads

Good call, I really dislike cutting pieces off of the mill. I had planned to try to make it to WM today, but the customer found more logs. Fortunately the extra logs have so far been without nails. Unlike the first 2 logs of the day that sent 3 blades to the scrap pile. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

After a half day on the mill, I headed back to idaho and stopped by Woodmizer. The jig didn't make the trip home with me. Thank you for the information, it saved me some frustration 

SawyerTed

After following this thread, the resaw attachment has my attention instead of the jig.  So +1 on saving some frustration.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

The resaw works well, you do need to make a few tweeks as far as down pressure goes, and I still need to add a second hold down wheel on the output side.  I have 10' of skate roller on the infeed and outfeed of my RS2 and that makes all the difference.  Made a bunch of 1" boards today to run through it next week actually.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

I think I'm going to tap the brakes on any purchases for the time being and try the wooden jig that was pictured earlier. I think I might be at a crossroads, things seem to be slowing down for the mobile sawmill side of things and picking up on the excavation side. Should be an interesting year either way. The new mill was slated for April, but the last report I received was maybe July. 

barbender

Once you get it dialed, that wooden jig will put the biggest smile on your face every time you use it. The problem it doesn't solve is sawing shingles. I've had some big ideas but never got around to doing anything.
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

After Ted's comment last night I started thinking back and realized that we too started looking at the jig, but I did some research and asked some questions here and Bill and I had a long talk over a few beers at the kitchen table with the specs and some videos. We decided when the time came to get the re-saw. Of course, Bill, being Bill, ordered it within a week. If we ever get the WM parts and get the debarker fixed I sure would like to get a run going this summer.
 My opinion is that if you are doing a run or runs for yourself or a single customer, you can do very well with the jig or a homemade one. Little investment, quick run, then back to 'regular' milling. But if you have plans to do production runs for stock or a large build, the RS-2 is the way to go. Since we are building out a plan to make, stock, and sell material some day, we picked the re-saw. 
 So it looks like several others have reached the same conclusion. I see the jigs selling used or being offered for cheap, but never have seen the re-saw being sold off. 
 I looked, but cannot find, one of our members had posted a complete process he uses with pre-cut dimensions and his post drying process and planeing dimensions for lap siding. If anybody comes across that I will print it out so I don't loose it again, but I can't find it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

MattM

Quote from: barbender on March 26, 2023, 01:44:53 AM
Once you get it dialed, that wooden jig will put the biggest smile on your face every time you use it. The problem it doesn't solve is sawing shingles. I've had some big ideas but never got around to doing anything.
For shingles I was planning on making something similar to this one that I saw online last year. I never plan on making shingles for anyone other than myself (at to moment anyways) so this would work fine for me. You just flip the little stick under each mini cant each time you cut a row. 
One thing I would change is to make it 3 across x 6in to get the most production for each 'flip'. With the price of metal roofing now where I live I'm going to start doing all my future roofs with wood shingles. If this jig ends up taking to long I would make a metal one with a cam system to tilt the shingles that gets pushed by the hyd clamp... But only if the wooden one is too slow  :)

LT35HDG25

Crossroads

My thought was to do custom orders since I have limited storage. As well as a couple of projects for myself. There's an actual shingle mill not far from me, so don't really plan on cutting shingles. 

customsawyer

I had the resaw attachment for a couple of years. While it worked okay it had certain things that could be improved on. With the volume I do that is why I bought a actual powered resaw. It all depends on the volume you are doing. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodrat

20 years ago, I had a couple of customers want me to cut lap siding for them, but I didn't have the siding/shingle device and so I passed on those jobs. Then I found a barely used WM siding/shingle setup for $300, so I bought it and then never had another inquiry about siding or shingles again... Still leaning up against the wall in the barn... lol

Some day I'll get some cants together and use it for my own projects... 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

Crossroads

I actually haven't had anyone ask for it. The one I get asked about is shiplap and that would be pretty easy to make with my woodmaster 721 

Thank You Sponsors!