Congrats. I agree.

Happy Bday to you Fluid Power!
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

rusticretreater

And if one breaks you have a spare.  Also one to give to an heir.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Crusarius

you have all the parts you need and then some. I would almost be tempted to just keep the hudson and sell off the other parts. the hudson can always be modified.

fluidpowerpro

What model Hudson is it? How big will it cut?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

JoshNZ

One thing I've recently learned, if you're turning your own main shafts, make sure they're high tensile!

I had a bearing failure 3 years in and spun a sleeve on a shaft which ruined the journal. I decided to make new shafts all around as I'd not owned the tools to get a precision press fit when I did make them. 1018 steel was what I had on hand so it's what I made the new ones out of. First one snapped about 3 hours into work and second about 45 minutes later, which is somewhat impressively consistent hah.

So I've made a third set, out of 4140 again and back in business. Certainly the long way around.

I'm also not a fan of pillow blocks. Mine run hot all the time. Much better off with something like what cooks uses (and many others I'm sure) with a tapered roller bearing.

RetiredTech

Congratulations on your mill purchase. Sounds like you got a deal. I hope you don't decide to abandon your custom build. My mill is going to be stationary. But I'm already thinking about building a second lightweight easy to transport mill I can take into the woods much like the smaller Hudsons. I can see where two mills would be beneficial.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Thank You Sponsors!