iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tricking Out a New Compact Track Loader for Logging Duty

Started by labradorguy, January 07, 2019, 08:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

In the process of buying a new Cat 299D XHP. It is heading into the woods for logging work.

It is the steel track version with some forestry guarding options.

I'm looking at aftermarket front and rear winch options, extra protection, and anything else that would make it a better logging machine.

I've been checking out AFE and their front door and top protection. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thinking really hard about a grapple/rotate attachment. A winch option on one of those would be cool. I see there are also skiddie winches that look really functional.

Any suggestions from anyone would be really appreciated. I'd like to make this one the ultimate logging skiddie.

Thanks!

mike_belben

Stump grapple bucket with a winch has been great for me.  
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I think it's a pretty slick set up, the guy makes 2 diff style grapples for the rear, if I was going to run a skidsteer it would be handy. His name is Jeff Karshner, I see his videos and on FB alot. 

I've got a "forwarder style bucket" grapple attachment and unless your moving shorter logs its awkward. The ones with the winches added onto the plate look handy. 

stavebuyer

I have a CAT 289D. I thought about buying a logging grapple with winch to log my ash trees before the EAB wipes them out. I am currently using  a TAJFUN #8000 winch on the 3pt of my NH 1520 4x4 tractor. The little tractor is too small and doesn't have much guarding. The 299D on steel would be a real beast compared to my 289D but would still suffer some of the same drawbacks. Climbing in and out of the thing is a major project. You cant see out of the back very well even with the back up camera and you have to be "strapped" into the seat to use the hydraulics(winch). Clearing ground or in a clear cut where you could move tops and grapple the logs it would work great. I am just cutting my Ash and doing some TSI as I go so minimal residual stand damage is more important to me than productivity. That means a lot of winching and it didn't seem the CAT CTL platform would be effective as a cable machine. I decided against buying a grapple and am shopping for a little larger tractor.

jimbarry

I got my grapple from Wallenstein. They didn't have winch option at the time. I told them about it, said it would be a good idea. Next thing I know, they are selling a unit similar to the US made one and it more than doubled in price. Winch would be handy yes, but the grapple alone was a good investment in my opinion.

labradorguy

Thanks for the replies guys.

I like that rear grapple. Wouldn't it be tough to back up and grab the log if you didn't have another guy to help you? Maybe it's just me... Many people using those with CTLs?

I have a Cat industrial grapple on the 299D I have now. It's the berries. Moves logs like crazy if you have the width. Being able to parallel logs with the direction of travel would be really nice.

barbender

Those grapples could be real slick. Would you be able to see with your back up camera? One note on the front mounted grapple like jimbarry has- it's really easy to have a log join you in the cab, especially when heeling and moving longer poles like in Jim's picture.  If you get the far end lifted much and it slips, you'll get impaled👎👎 Most skid steers that have enclosed cabs have glass doors that won't help you much. Forestry guarded ones usually have polycarbonate that has impact resistance. Be safe out there, guys!
Too many irons in the fire

Riwaka

Have you watched enough Logger Wade and Turner Logging youtube videos - number one?

I thought your part of the world for logging was old John Deere rubber tired skidders with tire chains, trailer-log loaders?

Turner uses the Cat compact track loader as a landing, sorting/ loading machine and uses the old John Deere skidder for tree pushing and hauling. Wade has had the Cat 313/ 314? with the rotobec claw grapple & saw.

Depends on the size of the wood, what options to take.
I would find a used skidder (cable or grapple with cable) or dozer with cable. Just leave the cat ctl with a set of forks. for the start. 
Two machines - two loggers as a minimum on site. Later in small timber could use the 311 with a grapple , larger wood need something larger.    
or
cancel the cat compact track loader, find the best skidder for budget and use the 311 as the sort/ load machine.(depending on timber size etc)

Bruno of NH

On U-tube there is a movie of a crew with the rear grapples on CTLs going like mad men skidding logs. 
The rear grapples look sweet 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

This will fetch 12ft logs off a curly-Q quad trail without damaging a single keep tree.  Its not appropriate for long skids or rough/soft ground but a skidder cant touch a bobcats maneuverability.  And i can grab any way i want.

Ive been hauling quarry stone to hardscape distributors and am blown away at what a deere 332 has been lifting off the flatbed.  It would be a beast in the woods with my grapple and some OTT tracks.
Praise The Lord

labradorguy

I already have a skidder. The Cat is for more than logging but I want it set up to hit the woods.

Thank You Sponsors!