iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardwood NHLA lumber grading video

Started by beenthere, April 23, 2024, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Informative video on the NHLA lumber grading rules. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Good explanation of hardwood grades and the grading process.  There are some things that are left out, such as being able to get additional allowable cuts by getting higher amounts of cutting units in a board.  But, its a short video.

The NHLA does have short courses that are about 1 week long that covers all the grades and gives hands on experience.  I took one many decades ago, and it really helps a grade sawyer figure out sawing patterns that pay the best.  Defect positioning is really a big deal when sawing for grade.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chet

Very informative video, thanks for posting it.  :thumbsup:
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Stephen1

A very good video of Hardwood grading. Simple to follow. 
I have been reading all I can find . It certainly helps when sawing to understand where the money is in the log. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Larry

Thanks for posting the utube beenthere. I looked up the link mentioned in the video A Guide to Sustainable American Hardwoods and found it quite interesting also. It didn't seem quite right when they talked about CLT's, I don't have many of those trees growing on my land. ffcheesy

Like Ron I took the short course years ago. It was well worth the ticket.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!