iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed up some nice poplar today (video)

Started by 123maxbars, September 23, 2016, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Sawed up a good size poplar today for beams/post of a drying shed I am building.

Made a short video with a friend of mine supplying the tunes. Thought you guys would enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0l5gqYqd98
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WV Sawmiller

Nice video. I love cutting poplar - probably most common wood I cut although salvaging dead and dying ash now. A couple of observations:

1. Your LT35 starter switch is in a different place than mine (Who cares right as long as it works).

2. I noted you swing the moveable bed into place before loading the log. Advice I received was to load the log, lift it with the rollers then swing the moveable rail into place, lower the rollers and start sawing. I was told dropping the log directly on to the moveable rails can damage them, apparently more so than the permanent rails.

3. I see you are much more diligent about sweeping the sawdust off the board/cant. Good on you. If you have not tried using a 12" wide dry wall scraper (I think I picked this up from the Magic Man) I suggest you try it. You can scrape the dust off as you walk beside the mill while cutting the next board. I tend to just try to blow the sawdust out of the stacked and stickered boards with a good leaf blower but you are probably removing more sawdust.

Keep up the good work and keep those videos coming. (Maybe Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" should be our theme song :D).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

pineywoods

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 23, 2016, 09:42:08 PM
    Nice video. I love cutting poplar - probably most common wood I cut although salvaging dead and dying ash now. A couple of observations:

1. Your LT35 starter switch is in a different place than mine (Who cares right as long as it works).

2. I noted you swing the moveable bed into place before loading the log. Advice I received was to load the log, lift it with the rollers then swing the moveable rail into place, lower the rollers and start sawing. I was told dropping the log directly on to the moveable rails can damage them, apparently more so than the permanent rails.

3. I see you are much more diligent about sweeping the sawdust off the board/cant. Good on you. If you have not tried using a 12" wide dry wall scraper (I think I picked this up from the Magic Man) I suggest you try it. You can scrape the dust off as you walk beside the mill while cutting the next board. I tend to just try to blow the sawdust out of the stacked and stickered boards with a good leaf blower but you are probably removing more sawdust.

Keep up the good work and keep those videos coming. (Maybe Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" should be our theme song :D).

on item 2, they WILL break if sufficiently abused. Here's proof. Owner (not me ) elected to keep sawing without the swingout, now complains the bottom board is always thick on one end.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

larrydown60

samandothers

Poplar I cut seems to move more than yours did.  Could be some of my logs were smaller and came off side of hill.  The stress caused stress!  :D

123maxbars

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 23, 2016, 09:42:08 PM

3. I see you are much more diligent about sweeping the sawdust off the board/cant. Good on you. If you have not tried using a 12" wide dry wall scraper (I think I picked this up from the Magic Man) I suggest you try it. You can scrape the dust off as you walk beside the mill while cutting the next board. I tend to just try to blow
the sawdust out of the stacked and stickered boards with a good leaf blower but you are probably removing more sawdust.

Great advice on the bed rail. I didn't know that. I appreciate the feedback on here as always!
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: samandothers on September 25, 2016, 07:51:08 PM
Poplar I cut seems to move more than yours did.  Could be some of my logs were smaller and came off side of hill.  The stress caused stress!  :D

I have noticed that the smaller juvenile poplar trees are full of stress and the larger ones (over 20in DBH) seem to behave better on the mill.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Same here.  Much more growth stress in the small trees.  Small poplar can be one of the worst.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Thanks for sharing, the only poplar I've seen sawn was during the shoot out, and it seems just as explained here, some move a lot, while other logs behave. happy
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

roghair

NIce video!
I was wondering; is this a typical feed speed or is it lower while the log is bigger?
On my home made manual mill I go much faster through the log (listened to Peter Drouin :) )
built a sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!