iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody able to translate all marks on this

Started by captain_crunch, April 08, 2010, 12:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain_crunch

I kinda got the left hand side figured but what about the rest of the marks??

They must be important but I give up on what for
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Tom

It appears to be a sawing scale for some kind of band sawmill.   The left side is in true inches and when used on-the-inch will create a board that is one inch, minus the kerf.  Usually that is around a 7/8" board.

The other columns to the right are  quarter scales.  4/4 is said as four quarter.  It has the kerf figured outside of a full inch board.   Depending on the scale, it will usually generate a board that is between 1" and 1 1/8", though some might legally go as thick as 1 3/16"; as long as it doesn't reach 5/4, which is the same as 1 1/4"

The other columns are probably  representing 5/4 and 8/4 drops.  A clean column might be for you to mark your own.

My eyes aren't good enough to see the detail in the picture.

uncle kenn

the scale looks like the same one that is on my belsaw cicular saw  left column is for full 2 in lumber, middle is for 1-1/2 inch lumber and right column is for 1-1/4 inch lumber, figured with a 3/8 saw kerf.

Bibbyman

Is it on a circle mill?  It looks like a scale used on a circle mill.  ::)

From CC's photo album.  Is that the scale we're looking at standing to the left of the log?

In any case, band or circle; what they said.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Peder McElroy

I have the same scale on my belsaw,I just use the numbers on the left side. They tell me what is left on the cant to the saw blade.Peder

captain_crunch

Thanks I think that makes sence. I generally use the cheat wheel. I may have it set wrong because I set it reading from knee(headblock) to blade so This maybe wrong. A friend in Utah is sending me his old Bellsaw manual. I just wanted to sound Professional when someone ask what it does :D :D
Bibbyman
Yep that be it in the Picture that I forgot to lighten up :( :(
Got a couple more bigger logs like the one in pic and after cleaning up 6-8 " tops all winter they are fun 8) 8) 8)

Who is wiseguy with that Flea like critter to left of blue area About beat puter screen to death and wiped me Glasses twice before figureing it out ::) ::) ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

One of the toughest things on a handset mill is setting your last slab cut so everything figures out to the last board.I made up a chart with the number of 1",2",and 4"pieces and where to take the last slab cut,never works out perfect but its close.Those scales depend on a certin width bit,for each cut includes the desired board width plus the kerf.The math will get you close final tweeking will need to be done to get real close.Most of the heavy handset mills can be adjusted real close.I've never had too much faith in those marks,I've always started my last slab cut acording to my chart,as always your mileage may vary.Frank C
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Two-Lady-Sawyers

Hey Captain, I can email you two PDF files that are comeplete belsaw manuals from Timberking if you like.
Jillian
Politically incorrect (LH feed) Foley-Belsaw M14 W/mods, Ford Ranger 4cyl 4sp power plant, Oliver Super 88RC, 93 Ford F150 4x4, Echo CS530, Echo CS306, Half finished log arch

Ron Wenrich

The biggest problems I had with the scales is trying to get down to a certain target size.  I wouldn't want to normally go below 6" for one side of a cant.  I learned how to saw from inside out in a hurry.  I could build a stack in my head and start from a point and end at the desired thickness.  When all else fails, you can write it down. 

Those scales assume you're going all the way and leaving a dog board the same thickness as you're sawing.

It gets to be fun when you saw multiple thicknesses, like 4/4 & 5/4 on the same log.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dail_h

I can't do all the math in my head n keep it straight, so I use cheat sheets. If I'm cutting for ties, I'll start at 7 x9 , and add boards plus kerf to outside of largest log. Then all I have to do is cut to the next dimension, ending at my finished size. Same with 6 or 8 or 10 in lumber,have sheets for all common sizes. Not professional , but works for me.
   Now with the new mill , have to make a new batch (sigh)
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

captain_crunch

Jillian
That would be cool babjfoster@ msn is addy
I would like to figure this out I adjusted it to size of cant left and that parts work ok but have to scrach me bald spot too much to figure what is left on board side of saw
Brian 

Two-Lady-Sawyers

Brian, Tried to figure out the addy you listed. everything came back. Got a different Email addy I can try. Also if anyone else wants or needs a copy of these M14 Belsaw manuals let me know via PM and I can send them right out to you.
Politically incorrect (LH feed) Foley-Belsaw M14 W/mods, Ford Ranger 4cyl 4sp power plant, Oliver Super 88RC, 93 Ford F150 4x4, Echo CS530, Echo CS306, Half finished log arch

captain_crunch

Jillian
Try again again if you would babjfoster@msn.com Think I forgot the .com part ::) ::) Me not puter wise can fix about anything else if I can get my hands on it but keyboards just ain't my style ;D ;D But have to admitt my typeing has went from 10 words per min to 15-20 8) 8) so must be comeing out of dark ages :D :D
Brian

Joe Lallande

I have several old and new books for my Belsaw. None of them explain this scale and how to read it. I use a steel yard stick with big black numbers to check my self against this scale. I need to make a cheat sheet. The printed copies of the complete manual are avialable from the good people at Timberking. They also have a few of the small parts left for the Belsaw. When is someone going to make this type of circular saw again? Price it under $8,000 and they would sell. Have the buyer sign a waiver that he will not hold the company responsible for any injuries. Is this even possible today?

Thank You Sponsors!