iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Rain today so I thought you all would like to see this job. when I got to the job today I saw this :D :D :D A few logs all ln a row. so I set the mill up.

The customer gave me the cut list and I started. the customer did a good job to line up the logs, but sometimes they get out of alignment . so I made a log mover for my self.

It will work with any mill. just some 5" wheels and angle iron. the limbs are cut flush to the tree. I just roll the log up on it, I have 4"x4"x4' in front of it.

just push the log sideways and your all lined up. will work with biger logs to.

I use it all the time. it was hot to day so the umbrella came out today not to burn my but.

and at the end of the day I blow off the mill. I have a aircompressor that I bring with me.

I like to use a small tip, so I can get in all those small places. I like to blow out the filter too

and then cover the mill and go home :D I made a small dent in the pile. ill go back wednesday

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Norm

Now that's a big job! Cool idea on the log mover too!

Magicman

That is a nice whack of logs and a very good idea on the log mover/aligner.

What dimensions of lumber are you sawing?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Pete,good idea on that log evener,we just used the roller toe boards but only works if your on them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

A tapered slab in the middle of the logs lets you steer it easy as you roll it also, looks like a week or so of cutting  , might have to move the mill closer to pile after a coulple of days.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dblair

I like that log aligner . Nice whack of logs also.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Magicman

I like for the log pile to be at least 10' from the sawmill so I can adjust them with a 4"X4" as Steve suggested above.

I do have roller toe boards, but whatever method that you use, it is far easier to always have the log adjusted before it is loaded onto the sawmill.

Most times for minor adjustments on 8' logs, I roll it back onto the loader pulling the long end first and then back onto the sawmill pushing the long end first.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

A good idea. What kind of wood? Rain here today too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Great Whack O Logs Peter!

I like the idea of the "log shifter", must save a lot of hastle.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

markd

Peter, looks like you have a good system workin for you there, good job! Markd
markd

Peter Drouin

All the wood is w pine and hemlock. the cut list is for a 24x50 barn. the customer had me cut some dry wood for the sticking. my wood, he did not want to use green wood. and yes ill have to move the mill in. I do use a tapered slab to steer the logs. but the log shifter has been a good thing to get them lined up a big help to me. the next job is just as big and the phone is ringing off the hook with lumber orders.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Al_Smith

Clever idea .Egads you'll have a pile of saw dust before that job is done no doubt .

cutterboy

What a beautiful sight! All those logs lined up nice and pretty. Looks like you'll be busy for awhile. I love your log shifter.....very clever. Hey, and thanks for all the pictures.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

I just finished my first portable job, and I was running into the misalignment issue. I like Peter's solution, I was thinking a small arch would be slick too.
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

It does not get a lot better than that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I agree WDH, that is a dream job for sure.   8)

Peter Drouin

well I got at the job today and all the sawdust was gone and all the slabs . so I got out the atf and painted all the parts on the mill that move. :D

fuel up sharp blade and here I go :D well the log shifter is not perfict the hook on the mill will get it sometimes

on the cut list are some beams. the WM will cut nice and square but I check, I have a small square that I keep by my feet on the chair.

but sometimes I over clamp. so I will shave the cant so its square

I keep a pv on each side ov the log pile I think you can see them in the pic

when im cutting I have to look out for the outside wheel the sawdust will get in there and stop it from turning :o

.all and all to day went well. maybe after thursday ill have to move in. 2 days and I think im half way maybe :D :D :D

:D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

That pile looks like it keeps getting bigger.  Maybe the wood nymphs are secretly adding to it at night after you leave.  You may never get finished  :D.  It could be the Hotel California of logs  ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JohnM

Quote from: WDH on May 02, 2012, 10:28:53 PM
That pile looks like it keeps getting bigger.  Maybe the wood nymphs are secretly adding to it at night after you leave.  You may never get finished  :D.  It could be the Hotel California of logs  ;).
Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 02, 2012, 09:03:38 PM
well I gut at the job today and all the sawdust was gone and all the slabs too.

The nymphs take the slabs and dust, glue up 'logs' and put them on the end of the pile. ;D :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

WDH

Nymphs are like that  :D.

customsawyer

If you didn't have it all under control I would offer to come and help. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Thanks costomsawyer  :D  things are going good, but today it rained well a drizzlr. made some wet sawdust :D  to much work ahead to take a day off. :D I have logs to cut at home and under a roof, and only one mill :D  I dont want to pull the mill back and fourth. so I though if I leave 40 at the barn and tied to the 24' ex  I could cut while its raining and leave the new 50 at the job all covered up and I could stay dry :D :D I had to cleen up my sawdust this moring, just to tired yesterday

you guys are right the other log pile is growing :D

I caught the arm with a pice of stking and bent it ,when I bent it back  :o

it broke :D :D :D :D :D i did it before ill fix it again... I think its time to move the mill up for fridays cutting 

then bring it home to fix it and saw more logs , for a lumber order :D :D when I leave a job and kids live there I try to fix the logs so they dont move

I try. the costomer wants to buy some dry stikens

can do :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Well to day it rained , went and got the mill, muddy :D got home and fix the arm

pant it black and done

well I had the welder out ;DI have wanted to do this for a while . I removed a  back stop off the 24' ex and put it on the mill

Because sometimes when I turn A long cant it will hit the stop and chip the beam

It should stop that from happening :D

Boy dont that WM orange look purrrrrrty . look so good I allmost painted the hole mill :D :D :D :D that WM paint lays down well.

the mill is ready to cut  :D :D

and the toys are in the barn 

:D :D :D :D I hope the sun comes out tomorrow
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Good job.  I missed it before, but you are loaded up with Fine Adjust Outriggers too.   smiley_thumbsup

barbender

I'm short of time- too many projects, and I was really stalling about getting to this job. Problem was, the fella kept growing the pile the longer I waited :D Normally I'd be overjoyed to have a nice whack of wood to saw, but the construction loan on our house is due in 2 months, and I have a long wayto go yet. In fact I shouldn't even be on the forum probably :)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!