iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Cleaned up, tuned up. A few new bearings here and there, alignment, now where's the logs?

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

thecfarm

@donbj,looks like you have a good size hill in the background. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

donbj

Yes! It's rugged mountains here. Beautiful area.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

PAmizerman

I know I'm always whining about getting small logs so I figured I'd share these

Mostly around 16" that's pretty good round here.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

Oh yeah.... See that odd brown spot in the background? That's dry ground 8)
Finally!!!
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

4x4American

Cut first log today on Hurdle..lots of work yet to do..I just wanted to cut on it and I got to where I could today so I did.

https://youtu.be/Q7X0SCDkfHo
Boy, back in my day..

PAmizerman

Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

YellowHammer

Looks like a lot of things going on at the same time to pay attention to.  Looks like fun.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Congratulations - that had to feel good!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

There's something about a circle mill that is way cool. I think it's the fact that through put is so much higher with a circle mill. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Grizzly

Quote from: Darrel on April 03, 2019, 09:57:56 PM
There's something about a circle mill that is way cool. I think it's the fact that through put is so much higher with a circle mill.
And only a big saw makes that unique ripping noise. My band makes it in a small way but those big blades howl beautifully.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Darrel

Some 40+ years ago I worked for a sawmill company that had to big mills. One was a circle mill with a 72" bottom saw and a 48" top saw used for cutting redwood.  Their other mill was a big vertical band mill with an 8" wide band. Both were very fast but the circle mill was my favorite. 
1992 LT40HD

OffGrid973

Very cool machine.

Quick safety question, is there any risk on kickback on the right side facing the mill, or do those hold downs really keep it from firing back if you catch a hang up?

I sent one board as a spear into the wall of garage on table saw once cutting small side between blade and stop...that will never happen again.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Darrel

I was around circle mills quite a bit in my teens and twenties and never saw kickback on the head rig. The edger was a different story. On a two saw head rig, both the top saw and bottom saw push down on the cant as it is passing through the saw. So if it did kick back the bottom saw would kickback toward the sawyer and if the log is big enough, the top saw would kickback away from the sawyer. But like I said I never saw or heard of kickback on a head rig. 
1992 LT40HD

Peter Drouin

Well, the carbides cut good.  The trouble with them I found is when I open a log with a 4" face I get a wave.

With 1" of wood over the blade, it cuts flat.

so now I find I'm losing my 4" wood. I could slow down but I would lose more money.
I had a blade got dull some and put on a new one, Backed the head back and cot the cant by 1/16", Pop the blade off and bent it all to dog ^%$# There goes $76.00  :o ::)
 And they do cut steel very well too.  ::)

Nice clean cut.
I will say the blades cut so well I don't have to pay to much to the quality of the cut. I can just cut wood. Wood Mizer called me yesterday and my diamond wheel will be here next week.
I can cut all day with one blade saving time. With reg blades, I would change 5 or 6 blades a day.
I'll see how they sharpen up. Before I decide if we will use them all the time.
One dead blade.

Back to cuting fat W Pine. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Did you get any snow yesterday ?
I'm ready for sun  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

I get that problem with the regular Turbos. They want some meat to chew on. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

Good review of the carbides. 
I've got a couple coming.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lawg Dawg

I've had good luck with the Carbide so far, actually I look at my double hards now and think, those things are for amatures :D...put it on and SAW! Don't look back...I'm getting a good 3000 bf per blade cutting dirty SYP logs. I just hit the tips with my little easy board walk sharpener with a diamond wheel. Best thing is no setting. I have a part time guy comes in a few hours every afternoon to help stack/clean boards...and I can just saw and get maximum production when he's here because we're not fiddling around changing blades every 2 logs
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Peter Drouin

That's the biggest thing not fooling with the blades 4 + times a day. Then have to sharpen all night.

But the old blades have a place too. Like this morning I got to cut some old barn timbers in half,
You know they have IRON in them.  ;D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

When I get the new mill I will have to give them a shot.
Dawg what engine do you have on your mill?

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 12, 2019, 06:41:16 AM
When I get the new mill I will have to give them a shot.
Dawg what engine do you have on your mill?
I got the 38hp gas...it does really good for the logs I saw.  Never hesitates to gitty up and go!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

jimparamedic

I have seen a log flip when starting a cut but that was a small long log with to much hanging over the end of the carriage. The biggest worry for me is throwing teeth out of the saw but that does not happen often 

Thank You Sponsors!