iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leave your wood to dry in the wall?

Started by Satamax, October 17, 2021, 04:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

I have cut this lately. It is punky larch.

I am afraid that it is not even worth drying. i was wondering, could i make 2x6 with the good (ish)  edges, fix that against an hollow brick wall, fit insulation in between, cover with fermacell, and leave it to dry in the wall? The good edges are nearly 6 inch including some sapwood. It is not structural, just a spacer for the insulation. My house is very dry, rarely more than 30%rh. What i'm afraid of, is dry rot. What do you think guys?  It shouldn't do anything with the house being dry. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

jimbarry

If a short piece can be broken in half with just your hands, I'd say it's not worth the effort to dry further. Depends though on your intention of useage. I cut material like that in 3/8" thick for scrollsaw projects. If it is unstable, a epoxy type material like a rotted wood restorer or wood hardener can help.

Satamax

Thanks a lot Jimbarry. 

Chainsaw and test in order then. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!