iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dating Viking Settlement in Nth America with wood scraps

Started by Ianab, October 21, 2021, 02:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on October 22, 2021, 12:29:41 AMeah, human genetics are a big mishmash.

Yup, some of my ancestry is on this page. Some of the first European settlers in NZ, who married one of the local Polynesian locals. His daughters married a couple of brothers from the later more organised settlement ships.

https://barretthoneyfield.com/2015/07/16/dicky-rawinia-and-family/

When Lil went on a Maori Language course for work (teaching), she got chatting to the tutors, and commented how their "tribal history" from the course was pretty much the same story as I'd told my family history. Suddenly she was part of the "tribe", by marriage. She was invited to be part of the Welcome team for the marae visit. But she chose to remain with the 'visitors". But the invite was there.

Likewise when we go to the Cook Islands, it's general knowledge that NZ was first settled from there. The locals identify as Maori, and speak a very similar language.

Fathers side of the family I'm not so sure about.... I can trace them back ~100 years, and the old family farm was a couple of miles from here.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

farmfromkansas

My son came up with some interesting stuff, including those mentioned above. Other sayings like "raining cats and dogs", came from the days of grass roofs, and during cold weather, your pets climbed up on the roof, and when it rained, the roof got slippery and the cats and dogs fell off the roof.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

SawyerTed

Yes we are a big mishmash.  My mother's ancestry traces back to Spain and Portugal in the 1500's when Spain was colonizing Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Western North Carolina.  We have determined that our ancestors were among the early Spanish and Portuguese settlers in South Carolina (St. Elena), Western North Carolina and Southwestern Virginia.  They were called Mulungeons.  At one time they held large tracts of land prior to the arrival of the Northern Europeans settlers.  Eventually, the Mulungeons, who apparently intermarried with native Americans (particularly the Cheraw and Lumbee), were deemed to be "free colored people" and laws were such that "colored people" could not own property.  Their land was confiscated by the Northern European settlers.  

Ironically, my dad's family is among the Northern European settlers, those ancestors come from Switzerland.  My dad's mother's family traces their ancestry to Germany.  

So yes we are a mishmash, some us more than others, and some us are less "Viking" than others. :) 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

Those are interesting backgrounds, SawyerTed and Ianab! I really do find this stuff fascinating. I haven't done a DNA test yet, one thing I am interested to find out is if we have any Sub-Saharan African ancestry. The tribes my Grandpa descended from came from the New England area, and had became "civilized". They were known as "praying Indians" because they had converted to Chrisitianity in the many revivals that swept over the Northeast during the Great Awakening, which I think was in the early 1700's. There were so many revivals that part of New England was known as the "Burned Over" area because so many revivals burned through😂  Anyhow, the towns these Indians established were part of the Underground Railroad, and it is well documented that they took in many runaway slaves and free blacks, who were able to freely marry among these tribes. These tribes all later relocated to Wisconsin, and I have seen historical documents where Army officers that visited their reservations disparaged that they were all "half negro", also one of the tribes when they got their land allotments, it was specified that no one with negro blood qualified. Anyways, just curious. My one daughter actually like other girls I've seen that are 1/4 black. I always compare our family to our free range chickens. The hens keep sneaking off, laying clutches and hatching chicks. After about 4 years and many generations of chickens, what started out as Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Frizzles and Americaunas it gets to a point where you never know what's going to cone out of that egg!😂 That frizzle rooster you forgot you had 4 years ago has genes that are living on and eventually they pop out again. So it is with my bunch😊
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

This is a picture of my crew about 5-6 years ago, with my Grandpa in the middle. 

Magicman

That is a fine looking crew and I see that the little man in the lower center is outgunned.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on October 21, 2021, 11:34:46 AM
Everyone is trashing on Columbus these days. His discoveries were a huge event and there is no getting around that. The Vikings were here, but for whatever reason disappeared and prompted no further exploration. I'm of part Native ancestry, I probably come from this from a different angle. I get sick of hearing my relatives whining about Columbus and "genocide" he committed, "stealing" Native land blah blah. With current historical interpretation, if another tribe invaded, tortured, mutilated and killed most of the invaded except for women and children they kidnapped, that was merely "inter-tribal warfare". Europeans come in, make a treaty and displace a tribe and are vilified, even if they didn't kill anyone. I realize there was plenty of double dealing, broken promises, and atrocities aplenty but I really tire of the narrative of the peaceful natives who never had any impact on the earth living their idyllic in tune with nature lives until the big wasteful selfish white man came it ruined it. All that to say, I like Christopher Columbus😁
Very good post B.B.  This is just what I wanted to say.

barbender

Thanks Magic, God has blessed me far beyond anything I deserve, no doubt about it! And yes, Mr. Silas is way outgunned, but he doesn't know any different so he gets by just fine😊 

moodnacreek

Southside

I dated a Viking for two years, has the red hair and all to prove it, then settled with her till this day. Don't recall any "carbon dating", but we did go fishing if that counts.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Maybe she considers you spoils, Southside😂

Thanks moodnacreek, I'm pretty proud of them😊

SawyerTed, I had to go read about the Malungeons. A very interesting history that sounds a lot like my family's. In fact, a lot of the pictures I looked at, the folks looked like they could've been my family. 

reedco

Look pretty american to me.  A lot to be proud of!
Not many trees

Tacotodd

In canine terms, we are all mutts! I love it. Heinz57. It's just the truth.
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

We should make a John Cabot day, he came 5 years or so after Columbus and began the first fishery in the Bay of Fundy. The one thing he is credited with was fishing with baskets dipped into the Fundy. :D

French actually made the first European settlements in this neighborhood yet Trudeau's "Canada: a Peoples History" claim it was upper Canada, which is totally bull crap. And the only reason upper Canada became the boom town was because of government policy called 'centralization'. That meant sucking everywhere else out to build it. I've always heard that confederation was the demise of the Maritimes. Bank of Montreal, was actually began as Bank of New Brunswick, if you are factual about it. Living in New Brunswick, when you invest your money in Canada, where do you think your money goes? :D
Transfer payments, everyone gets those, so no point in mentioning it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sedgehammer

Quote from: barbender on October 22, 2021, 09:29:55 PM
Thanks Magic, God has blessed me far beyond anything I deserve, no doubt about it! And yes, Mr. Silas is way outgunned, but he doesn't know any different so he gets by just fine😊
This made me laugh. You are so correct. He don't know no different.
Nice crew for sure and looks like you got the better end of the deal..... ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

SawyerTed

Quote from: barbender on October 22, 2021, 03:14:16 PM
This is a picture of my crew about 5-6 years ago, with my Grandpa in the middle.

Great looking family!  And yes our families do resemble each other. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

I definitely married up! That is one fine woman God gave me, in so many ways! I'm pretty proud of her, after choosing to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling our kids, she finished her bachelor's degree online and is now working on her Master's. I call her my "Sugah Momma" now, we're working towards my goal of being a stay at home dad😁

Southside

Oh yea BB, she lets me know what a prize I am often enough.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Difference in perspective, you hear "prize" and think "trophy", when she says "prize" she may be thinking more along the lines of a door prize, as in, "what am I going to do with this?"😂😂

Thank You Sponsors!