iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just another thing

Started by Al_Smith, October 23, 2021, 08:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I have to change hats once again .This time it's HVAC ,my geo thermal bit the dust .Since I installed this one in 2008 I've replaced the compressor once and I won't do it again .First time was my fault ,blocked air filters cooked the compressor .This one is on them, wrong heat exchanger and sulfur water .
No big deal I guess except a lot of work ahead .
I'm going to need around 70,000 btu furnace and around 3-3.5 ton AC (2000 square feet) plus of course propane .No problem with the heat as I have ceiling radiant heat already plus of course the wood stove . I've got a leg up on this stuff because I have some connections and can buy this stuff wholesale plus install it myself . 
In my youth, like HS I had many jobs and one was working for a small plumbing shop so it's nothing to new to me except I'm not nearly as fast  at 73 than I was at 16 .Although I might be a tad more smarter . :D

SwampDonkey

Like I always said, by the time those new technologies are paid for in savings they are toast and some no savings at all. ;D I'll stick to simple, a wood furnace a chain saw and a maul. :D Heating 2900 sq feet including walk in basement. All kinds of aspen and fir to burn into the next century. ;D I said good by to heat pumps 4 years ago, can't heat a house in a New Brunswick winter anyway, we had to use an electric furnace. :D I can get a very efficient AC for 1/6th the price and I have. ;D My grandfather cut wood until he was 80, never complained about wood cut'n, only about arthritis. 

Yup, we learn our lessons after awhile. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

My response to the "profane" shortage(although there may have been some profanities uttered during the attic chimney install).

Al_Smith

It's probably a toss up .The first geo I had was used and I got 9 years out of it before the heat exchanger failed .That one cost me $900 .The second one cost $3400 .Plus $450 I paid for a replacement compressor which was hard to find because it was specially built for Water Furnace .Got lucky--flea bay .
If I were to repair it would have to be 401A gas not R22 and I'd have the price of a new unit in it .
I think the factory had a mis match as I ordered it with a relay controller and a cupronickle exchanger .It came in as a solid state control board and I think a copper exchanger .So over the years what I might have paid in electric broke even regarding equipment prices .
I imagine I'll have $2500 -$3000 or so in changing over to "profane " .However at wholesale prices it's a lot better option than paying full  retail .Probably a 96 percent furnace and a 14 seer AC .  

Al_Smith

I should have the failed unit removed today maybe tomorrow .Then I can get down to figuring out exactly which replacement to use .Right now because of wholesale prices I can go for a high end system so there would be some power  savings there .Plus in the event we had a power outage I can run that from a generator which I could not with the geo .Of course I have the wood stove that will heat the whole house .However if something happen to me Georgia would have a hard time keeping the home fires burning so to speak . 
At my age of nearly 74 I have to look at things differently  than when I was 44 . 

SwampDonkey

Up this way, electric heat is way cheaper than gas or stove oil. Petroleum heating is off the radar unless you have lots of money. Residential gets no price breaks, zip.  Your left to squabble over 1 or 2 cents a litre between suppliers. Next month he could be higher than the other guys.  Have a cord or 2 stowed away for outages to run a stove, should cover ya the rest of your days. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: stavebuyer on October 24, 2021, 05:06:32 AM
My response to the "profane" shortage(although there may have been some profanities uttered during the attic chimney install).

stavebuyer,
I like that the added benefit of the new woodstove is that yours guns stay warm and toasty in the safe :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

barbender

He shouldn't need a dehumidifier in there during the heating season😁
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

The safe is where he keeps his dry firewood...   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!