iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

Started by Dan_Shade, October 24, 2021, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I listened to this audiobook recently, amazing true story of overcoming terrible situations and persevering against the odds when an Antarctic expedition ran into problems. 

I highly recommend this book. 

ISBN-10:  0465062881

ISBN-13:   ‎978-0465062881

Seems to be very popular now, I heard about it on a YouTube channel, I think. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

btulloh

Awesome book. Amazing chronicle. Hard to imagine what those guys endured. 
HM126

sawguy21

That is an amazing story! I can't imagine what those people endured.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

Definitely, it's amazing they survived.

Each part of their saga is remarkable.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

barbender

I watched a documentary about their adventures/misadventures, it is incredible what they endured!
Too many irons in the fire

Dan_Shade

I would like to see the documentary, I did find pictures from the expedition, including video of the ship being crushed in the ice.

barbender

I don't remember the title of that documentary.  I watched it in an IMAX theater in the Minnesota History Museum.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Cedarman

Read the book "Endurance" 40 or 50 years ago.  One the best books ever on "get r done".
Like the picture of the stork swallowing a frog with his hands around the storks neck "Never give up, never, never give up".
The mental images of what they went through are still in my memory.
Shackleford died of a heart attack a few years later on another expedition if I remember correctly.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dakota

"Endurance", a great book.  Like my dad used to say, "that's when men were men".
Dave Rinker

Dan_Shade

Raider Bill

We spoke of this at last weeks meeting. Looks like I;m going to be buying the book.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Old Kindle died, new one expected in a couple of weeks.
I'm going to get that  book for it after reading this thread.
I'm wondering though if I can get the books on my old one onto the new one.
Hope so as it died half way through the book I'm reading.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

taylorsmissbeehaven

" For scientific discovery give me Scott; For speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
                                                                            -Antarctic explorer, Sir Raymond Priestly
That says it all to me!!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!