iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can ya help me with .....

Started by 2StateTrigger, November 07, 2015, 05:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2StateTrigger

... a catchy yet professional business name?

I'm in the VERY beginning process of forming a part-time lumber business in which I'd provide portable milling (to start).  For starters I'm going to be using customer provided material (whether it be windfelled, customer felled, felled by me) at their location or at my mini-ranch.  I do have plans to add future services such as 3D laser engraving/burning, wood lathing, furniture, and other non-timber/lumber related services as the business grows so the potential biz name needs to be indicative of the breadth of the numerous services/products that will be available.

I'm going to be relocating to the 4 corners region of the USA in order to start the biz.

Unfortunately I've been struggling with naming the business for several months now thus my last-ditch effort of putting this request before you guys, the "Tom Sawyers" of the group.

Might anyone have any snappy ideas (or even not-so-snappy ideas)?

So with a new "Star Wars" movie coming out soon I'll close with this......"Help me Obi Wan Kanobi you're my only hope..."   www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cc_h5Ghuj4

Molon Labe

Magicman

Wow, I did not see many trees or potential customers at 4 corners.  :o  It's best for your business name (and website name) to sorta describe your business or product.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BEEMERS

Brucer

A few random thoughts ...

The business name registry here in BC recommends a two part name. Mention your product or what you do, and add to that some kind of modifier -- your name, your location or area of operation, etc.

Just remember ...
1) if you mention your location and then you move, the name may be confusing.
2) if you use your own name and the business is successful, the new owner may want to keep the name.
3) the name you choose may mean something entirely different to different people.

Examples ...
1) a guy called his business "Georgian Bay Painting", had the name painted on the side of his car, and then moved here to Rossland, BC. Georgian Bay is in Ontario, half way across the country -- and there's no bodies of water here in Rossland.
2) Seth Martin was a world-champion amateur hockey player and an NHL goalie, born right here in Rossland. When he retired he opened a very successful sports shop in the city next door, called Seth Martin Sports. He eventually sold the business and retired. Unfortunately the new owner kept the name of the business -- and didn't have great customer service. Upset customers would call Seth at home and give him heck. They couldn't accept the notion that he no longer had anything to do with a business that carried his name.
3) I bought my first sawmill extension from a guy about 3 hours away from here. His business name was Cary's Custom Cuts. That's what he did -- cut custom timbers for people. Unfortunately a lot of people thought "she" was a hairdresser.

And now for something completely different ...

Sometimes you can choose a really off the wall name that has nothing to do with your business, but sticks in peoples' minds. There's a hair dressing studio two cities away that's been in business for several years now. The name? "The Bass Player's Daughter". Guess what here dad does ;D.

I usually suggest people write down pieces of names on a piece of paper. Then take each piece and write down several variations for each phrase on your list. Then shuffle things. The writing part is important -- it uses a different part of your brain than just thinking about it.

Try not to get too attached to any of your choices (yet).

Once you have some possibilities, think about how they'll be interpreted by other people.

Always remember that people who want lumber or timbers may not know the name of what they want to buy. Over the use I've had a few people ask me to give them a price for a log -- but it turns out that the "log" they want has a rectangular cross section.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SLawyer Dave

A business name should both be memorable and descriptive.  Wood or Lumber should probably be referenced.  If you just have 'wood', then people might not think of the sawing and lumber aspect, so I like Lumber.  Most people hear "lumber" and think, "wood".  But for those people specifically looking for custom sawing, they are going to be thinking "lumber".  So one word, gets both sets.  Then you need someway to let the public know what you are doing with the "lumber and wood".  Wood Working is a standard, but active descriptors tend to be more memorable and stand out.  I like "Craft" or its derivations.  That tells people you have the ability to do a lot of things with the wood/lumber, and also eliminates the need for "custom", as it is implied that you will "craft" the lumber to whatever specifics the client needs.

So My favorite:    Lumber Crafters

Short, catchy, descriptive.  Remember that the main purpose of your name is to attract the attention of a prospective client.  Once the name captures their attention, then you want to back that up with specific descriptions of what you do to convince the prospective client to stop looking for someone who can meet their needs, and instead call you.  On your advertisements and business cards, you would have a itemized list under your business name. 

Such as:

Mobile & Custom Sawing - Furniture & Products - Laser Etching & Signs 

Some other business name ideas:

Wood & Lumber Craft

Lumber Craft & Shape

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Roxie

red  :D

Brucer, that was some good advice! 
Say when

WV Sawmiller

2State,

Good luck. I named mine "Green's Sawmill Services" because I primarily try to provide sawing services rather than selling lumber.

You could include your last name and mobile sawmill services in the name if that is your target audience. Your business card can reference custom sawing. I advise I will saw at my site or theirs (Big difference is no minimum at my home - I'll saw 1 6" log if they want to pay the bf or hourly rate as applicable) and list a "While you wait" option in such cases.

Keep it memorable and professional. Descriptive overrides catchy. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

florida

This may sound unpleasant to you but I don't mean it that way.

Worrying about a business name for a business you may or may not start, in a state you don't live in, on land you don't own, at some unspecified time in the future is like worrying about a title for a book you haven't written.

Establish who your customers will be and the prices you can charge in that area, who the competition is and what they charge.  If these won't be any competition ask yourself why not. Set up a business plan and calculate how much business you have to do to pay your bills, what kind of license you need, what the state laws are on fictitious names. Once you've done all that plus a hundred more things it'll be tie o buy land, move, buy equipment and find your customers. Then worry about a name.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Autocar

Bill

WV Sawmiller

A-Car,

Not definitive. Still doesn't tell anyone he has a sawmill business. Might be a fine logo but not business name.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Cedarman

Google your choices or variations and see what pops up.
People will search for you on line. You want them to find you.
I wanted my company's name to be simple and descriptive.  Named it in the late 80's before the internet was important.  But it sure makes a difference now.
Eastern Red Cedar Products
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!