iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hoard wood scraps

Started by yukon cornelius, December 28, 2015, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I do. They all are projects just waiting. There, its out in the open.....OK carry on. ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Chuck White

I seem to be hoarding scrap wood at this time!

Had a small building project earlier this past Summer and threw all my cut-offs in a pile in the garage and "was" going to haul them to camp for kindling, just haven't done it yet, but several times I have gone to the pile and pulled out a piece to add to another project.

Kind of handy to have pieces like that close by, otherwise I'd have gone and got a perfectly good board and cut a small piece off of it and the rest of it would just sit there.

Handy is the key word!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Once when I was doing construction, a fellow came up on the job site, and asked my partner if he could have our wood scraps, and my partner told him that he had never seen any wood scraps. ;)  Keep it long enough and you will find a use for it.  I just run out of room sometimes and it has to go into the burn pile.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dave Shepard

I was working on a house renovation a few years ago, and I kept all of the 2x offcuts in the garage behind the chop saw. I stacked them by length in between the studs in the wall. By the end of the job, almost all of them had been used up. There are a lot of odd short pieces in old house renovation. Probably saved a few dozen sticks, and kept the scraps out of the dumpster.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Autocar

Bill

sprucebunny

Christmas day I had to move my  ( ok...one of my...) woodscrap areas. Boxes and bundles of very odd pieces of teak and mahogany from a boatbuilding project. Between that and my used hardware collection, I had a pickup load  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Chuck White

I especially, save all 2x6 that is 12-18 inches long for turning logs and for cribbing on mobile sawing jobs.

Many times I'll drive off and leave some of the cribbing behind, especially the ones that are under a mill tire to level it up!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yukon cornelius

OK so there is more to the story. It seems I hoard lots of things. :( tools, parts, broken tools, broken parts, projects more projects. I had several containers of bent nails I got rid of. It made me think about my grandpa. He and I use to sit on the porch and straighten them. It taught me that just because something is flawed it isn't junk. I sure miss him! He kept lots of things and wood scraps also.

I am going through things and parting company with lots of things. I am turning lots of the wood scraps into things. Mostly I am turning them into heat in the stove.

isawlogs

I have a wood burnin' furnnace in my shop, it does real good at getting rid of evidence... Mesure twice cut too short type evidence. Unless that peice of wood has some kind of caracter, its getting turned to heat. I still manage to trip over way too many short peices.   :-\  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

When I was coming up, all my building projects were done with bent...aka straightened nails.  You can build all kind of huts and tree houses with bent nails....makes for good hand-eye coronation  ;)  if you can drive a slightly bent nail, just think how good you will be able to drive a new straight nail.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

Banjo, one gets so good at drivin'in those bent up nails, that when he does get a box of new ones, has no ideer how to drive them straight things in ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cedarman

If you guys saw all the cedar scraps that go down the belt to the hog, it would make you cry.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

Tim; I still have a gallon paint can full of nails I pulled out of something (can't remember what), years ago.

If I'm using Pine, it's very easy to drive the bent nails, my Dad used to say "a bent nail will hold more" because of the angles!

r.man

If the head survived the pulling intact my father would save a nail. Two taps while it is on its side and it is straight again and ready to use. I pull very few nails myself anymore but I do have a container the size of a large coffee can with straightened framing nails. I couldn't stand leaving it at the dump scrap pile when someone had gone to the trouble of picking up, straightening and saving those nails. They will be used by my daughter who wants to build a cabin/bunkie with repurposed material.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Banjo picker

I haven't took anything down in a while, but with the price of fasteners these days,i would probably still straighten out the nails if they were not too bad.  Good idea about more holding power.  Banjo

yukon cornelius

My uncle told me that my great grandpa has a side job straightening nails during the depression.

Dave Shepard

I just don't see those straightened nails being straight enough to go back in the nail gun. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bedway

My better half tells everyone she cant throw a chunk of wood in the burn pit until I measure it and give it a complete evaluation for further repurposing. I think maybe she might be stretching the truth, on second thought :).

Kbeitz

my scrap wood makes me money....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

After reading this I went down in my shop and dug out 3 of those big plastic totes full of walnut scraps that I have been saving for years. Fed the woodstove with them all day and hope that I am now cured. Good thing the stuff in the garage doesn't burn. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: 21incher on December 29, 2015, 06:22:01 PM
After reading this I went down in my shop and dug out 3 of those big plastic totes full of walnut scraps that I have been saving for years. Fed the woodstove with them all day and hope that I am now cured. Good thing the stuff in the garage doesn't burn. ;D

What!! Walnut!!! I could have used those!!! Aw man I see my problem!

Cedarman

Just got an order for 500 1 3/16" x 2 1/8" x 4 7/16", clear for fishing lure blanks.  We do keep thick clear pieces back.  We do keep some scrappy wood just in case.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

yukon cornelius

I too keep all the thicker scraps. My worst is plywood and  2x stuff. Of course that doesn't include cedar sides because I seem to keep all of those. I am getting better at culling them though

CHARLIE

Well if that don't beat all. ;D  This thread makes me feel good knowing I'm not the only one that hoards scraps.  Y'all need to take up woodturning.  I used to be able to get rid of my scraps at a certain point when they got too small, but for a woodturner, there never seems to be a scrap too small.  I look at a chunk of wood the size of a pencil and set it aside 'cause I can make something out of that.  And, most times I do eventually. I can make lots of little things 1/2 inch in diameter and 5 inches long that sell for $8 to $10 each or some things 5/8" diameter and about 12" to 14" long that sell for $25 to $35. It is just that I get scraps faster than I use them.  Yep, y'all start turning wood and you'll never be able to get rid of your scrap wood.

Back in 2000, a neighbor came home with some short walnut logs someone had set out by the street and threw them in his firewood pile.  I asked if I could have one and I made him a beautiful bowl that had grain so wild it looked like burl.......but he burned the rest of it before I could salvage it.  So even firewood becomes a woodturner's dream pile.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LittleJohn

How does anyone with a OWB and wood working addiction have anything but sawdust collecting dust  ;) :D

Thank You Sponsors!