iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where's Da Venison

Started by chet, November 23, 2003, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I know Jeff didn't get none, 'cause he hunts da eastern U.P.  ::)  where dar ain't no deer, but what about everybody else.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Minnesota_boy

Since we have more than adequate deer herd, the emphasis was on reducing it by taking does and fawn, which I did.  Ended up with 6.  Giving some away to single mothers and others that we feel are a bit needy.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin

I snapped a cap on a doe but experienced detonation retardation.  ;D
In other words ...the primer failed.
Got back to the camp and the other two guys each had a deer, 10pnt. and a doe which is plenty for us so we quit hunting early.
Good hunt, could have done without the wind and rain.

Texas Ranger

Venison?  Tom, is that what we call deer meat down here? ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

I got me a moose in october and got me a 8 point deer on nov. 3 . I hunt with my dad and my nephews ( son is busy at school work ) We got two 8 point , one 6 point, a spike and three does... Now that hunting is over we or I can get back to work....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Viking

Y eah i got one, I hit it with a van though haha, so anyway i was leaving my house and about 30secs down my road i was going only 70km/h and bam this deer ran into the front left of my van, i stopped got out and checked the damage, it wasnt to bad a few dents and a broken light, and everything plastic around the area was obviusly broken too. anyway it was kicking in the ditch still alive. from what i could se on it it had 2 brkoen legs 1 rear and 1 front, and a broken jaw, so i couldnt just leave it there since it was so close to my home, i went back and got the 308, came to the deer put'er down "it was doe"" and loaded it into the back of my van, hung it in my mobile garage and skinned it, gutted it and now its hanging in my shed frozen and ready to be cut up :) i got some pics if you want :) PM me, warning... the head isnt pretty :P

OneWithWood

I spent some quality time sitting in a tree watching the world wake up.  Saw lots of squirrels and chipmunks filling their larder for the winter.  Heard the gentle snap of a used up leaf parting from the branch it resided on all summer.  Watched as the leaf floated to the ground ever so gently, landing with a gentle rustle as it nestled in with its kin on the forest floor.  Reassociated bird calls with the birds.  Heard and felt the heavy fog condense on the trees and drop to the ground.  Saw the wind winding its way along the hollows to brush against my cheeks.
Never did see a deer.
Will be out there again Friday.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

EZ

Step out of the house saturday mouning, seen 3 bucks playing in the front yard. :o Was out for about 4 hrs, seen nutten.  :D
EZ

Don P

Cross the road vacation neighbors got 2, forkhorn was the biggest. Neigbors boy got a spike. Have seen several 8 pointers. I'll probably get another one out of the front yard and into the freezer, hopefully homeowners choice  :D. Heading down to her brother's hunt camp in Bama for the holiday. One friend hit a deer, got it fixed, and hit another  ???

The news today, the plumber/electrician on the job stopped by. He got a Bear, it was his second of the year...the first was with his truck.

pasbuild

Got out last weekend for one day let 2 spikes go didn't see anything bigger, I did get 2 BIG mice @ camp though.
Won't get out again till black powder.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Kirk_Allen

got this beast two weeks ago 8) 8) 8) 8)

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1069030352

Got another buck Saturday with my pistol 8)

Freezer is full and I still have two more tags!  I think its time to go back to cutting wood!

Kirk

Typhoon

Bagged a 90 pound doe on Sunday (shotgun) and bagged a deccent 8 pointer this morning with my bow. Getting all of it ground. My wife and I live on venison. We go through at least 3 lbs per week.  :)
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

theonlybull

well.  seeing that we are only alowed one buck, per hunter,  i only shot one.....  that and i got a little too excited and missed the first one i saw..... lol

missed a small boot jack,  then 2 day's later, i shot a nice little 8pt, feild dressed 210 lbs....  mmmm some good too, nice and tender...    heck, the wife told me that i had to mount the horns and put them in the living room.... 8)
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

etat

Ok now, havn't been deer hunting but I did get me a buffalo back in the spring.  Neighbor of mine runs a feeder operation for beef.  Well somehow he got a herd of buffalo for a while and a bunch of those rascals escaped.  They tried to hem a few of them up but at that stage they'd tear out of a fence in a minute.  So, they came by and put the word out that they were fair game.  They were afraid they'd hurt somebody or get in front of a car.  Little scope of woods near here that I'd seen one of them stick his head out on occasion.  So I felt it was my duty to save the world and my neighbors of this dangerous escapee.  Took the old sks and went buffalo huntin.  Was a bugger to drag back to the house and dress but pretty good eatin.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

Bro Noble does Jeff hunt turkey he may be getting hungry by now think i saw one around here somewere :D
Jim Holloway

ScottAR

I clipped a deer just this evening...  Only a broken marker light on the truck.  It ran away into the weeds before I could stop, so I guess it wasn't hurt too bad.  Seen more deer this year than any other.  Strange...   ???
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bro. Noble

J T'

No telling what that devious Jeff has on his mind. :D

He did warn me that my bird ain't running fast enough :-/
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

Hmmm, Saturday night I had a one pound porterhouse steak, that cost half of what the last deer cost me per pound.  I am still pondering the ramifications of this.

Jeff

Clearly, any venison, is worth twice as much, and tastes twice as good, as Texas beef.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Tiz a puzzlement.  A steak that can be cut with a fork, from good Texas beef, or a ticky old deer that needs to be ground to be fried.

Jeff, ya got to get out more.

dan-l-b

Here in Mid Missouri, we used to harvest 4 to 6 animals during gun and bow seasons.  This year my friend has got the only animal, a button buck, and together we have not seen 4-6 deer all season.  Dont know if numbers are down, or the deer are getting smarter. :D :D

Jeff

Don, you never had deer from up here then. Most of the deer that I shoot grow up in a cornfield, get fed sugar beets and carrots every fall by other hunters ya mix in some orchard apples and white oak acorns thrown in. Tammy butchers them with just a knife, bones and trims every ounce. You can cut it with a fork too. Oh boy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed_K

One of my clients sent this, I think this is what we're looking for.

This one's in his front yard, got it with a digital camera and binoculars from the front door.
Ed
Ed K

bull

Hey Ed that's another one of those Small Bucks we see here in Massachusetts...

Kirk_Allen

Better view of this years bambi
 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!