iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meet our Sawyer

Started by Jeff, August 31, 2019, 09:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It was time. Harley needed a full time friend again.  Sawyer is 8 weeks and was born July 12 on a farm a few miles from here. We brought him home today.

Meet Sawyer - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

He's a cutie !!! I love dogs with those markings.

Happy puppy, Jeff  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Well looks like Harley don't mind at all. When we got Pumpkin,Dew did not like her at all. She got alot of tough love from Dew. Pumpkin went on Dew's side of the car. Dew flipped Pumpkin over and Pumpkin learned that was his side. We did not even dare to leave them two together the first year alone. Good thing we have two front doors. I almost thought Dew would take Pumpkin out in the woods and come back alone.
How big will Sawyer get?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Sawyer's parents we were told weigh around 90lbs full blooded shepherds. Harley is 120, so they should match up okay. Pretty pleased how Harley is taking to him.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations on the new addition. My wife has always been a big shepherd fan since before we were married and used to even participate in Schutzhund training and trials.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Holy Cow,he is a CUTIE! Best of luck to the new addition in your family. Sweet little pup.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Roxie

Harley's little brother is adorable.  Love the video of Sawyer discovering the pond.
Say when

doc henderson

shepherds are great.  My wife's shepherd lady liberty "Libby" was born July 4th  3 years ago.  good home for a good puppy.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Well, looks like Sawyer is pleased and comfortable with his new home and family!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

How did the first night go? 
Say when

Jeff

Oh boy. Id forgotten what its like to have a puppy puppy.  Harley only visited when he was a baby. Icey came to us 6 months old. Juno would have been the last puppy, so its been 20 years. 

Sawyer at 8 weeks has no fear of heights and last night i slept on the couch with him behind my legs. Other than  the times he would climb over and make a kamikaze dive to the floor.  Id take those cues to take him outside. Its not like i dont already get up multiple times to take myself.  Im glad its not winter!

rjwoelk

We have had 8 pups  born or gotten on the farm over 36 years. They each have their own unique personality. We also have the problem of being beside a 4 lane highway. But it seems that the one we got now has made it the longest and he was the crazy one.  The kids figured he had ADD. He has been the most interesting of them all. But training pups is like kids a full time job. Harley will take that job on most likely, Very sweet pup enjoy.   
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jeff

First family outing. Out to get a collar at tractor supply..

Roxie

Harley is still the most photogenic dog that I've ever seen. 

Sawyer hit the love lottery!

Say when

Autocar

Nothing like a puppy it will bring many a smiles up on your face.
Bill

Roxie

"Saw" you up at 5 AM, had to smile. 

Say when

Jeff

:)  Yup!  He had a bad day yesterday. We were stacking some 3" solid blocks inder the edge of the deck to block access, cause im (not crawling back there again) and somehow Tammy accidently tipped one over on Sawyer's  front leg. The crying was horrible. I thought it was broke. By the end of the day he was back up on 3 legs but he's not doing much. He's limping bad yet today but starting to put a little weight in it. We took him over to meet Dagger's  little dogs last night. You can see he was favoring it and mostly laying

Sawyer and Ellie - YouTube

WV Sawmiller

He sure brings back a lot of fond memories. My wife has had many shepherds since before and during our marriage and she always tried to get them as young puppies so they would bond with her instead of getting more "Pack Instinct". They are very intelligent animals and can be great with kids when raised together. She raised several litters of puppies and several of them became very productive and well known police dogs. One made one of the biggest drug busts of the time in SC when we were there. She used to work with our local police and they would give her Marijuana to store with her tennis balls the dogs used to learn to track drugs. It was a big game to the dogs and they weren't looking for drugs or explosives - they were just looking for their play toy which just happened to smell like what she trained them on.  Bite work started about Sawyer's age with tug of war and a burlap bag and progressed to the various training sleeves as they got older. I think you have a real keeper there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Old Greenhorn

too cute! Looks like he is still favoring that leg, but getting around better.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

harley is sure good with him.  he is acting like an older dog now.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

So the puppy is doing pretty good at going outside to pee. Problem is his hurt foot. He ends up sitting in his pee at times. Then guess what? Dad comes along and picks him up with little consideration to this. Holding an odiferous puppy at chest level when one has a long beard in the same vicinity. This can and does create a " where the heck is that smell coming from?" moment when sitting quietly watching an episode of Roadkill on motortrend, followed quickly by by another "Aha!" Moment.
THE BEARD! Well, the puppy got a bath and the beard a farewell and i can now watch Roadkill without thinking thats what I smell like!

Peter Drouin

Why not bring the dog to the vet? Then you would know if the bone was cracked or ok. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

I did take him to the vet. Our dogs are like our kids. We got him to the vet as soon as we could get him there. He examined him and could tell the problem was in the paw and in that location of those bones. They are like the finger bones in the back of your hand  He told me that either they are broke, cracked, or just bruised. We could find out for sure if we spent $80 on an x-ray. He then said, no matter what he found, broke, or not broke, the prognosis and treatment were the same, His recommendation was save the $80, the dog would be fine without my having to know if it was an actual break. I agreed.  

Thank You Sponsors!