iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cropland values?

Started by stavebuyer, May 09, 2020, 06:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Just curios what good river bottom cropland goes for around the country per acre; sale or rent?

WV Sawmiller

I will be surprised if there is any commonality in such prices. A good piece of cropland in Fla or south Texas with a growing season of 300+ days per year would certainly seem to be worth more than the same amount of land in Maine where the growing season was half that or less. I watched farmers in SC growing 3 crops a year while we struggle to get ours in the ground in time to harvest before frost kills it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Those numbers are going to vary widely even within a state but generally when buying/selling smaller acreages like 5-15 are higher than 50/100 acre plots per acre while when renting land larger plots bring more per acre due to ease of planting/harvesting. Around here rents could be $75.00-$150.00 acre and sometimes more if you will allow sludge to be spread, I wont. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

Farm ground around here is 6 to 8 thousand per acre non irrigated 

Southside

$2K to own it, $50 to rent it.  Of course you have to realize that is 120 BU corn or 35 BU bean ground.  Tobacco, and just poor management honestly, really ran out our soil here, so it's not really worth more than that.  We can grow a lot of really good grass here, but it takes work and most just want to no-till beans in the spring and run the combine in the fall, so we get the numbers you see above.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

600-800 an acre to own farm ground UP here. Rent is usually free. Short cool growing season and long brutal winters limit your crop selection to grass, and small grains for the most part.

Walnut Beast

The ground I have that's in CRP. Is 228 or 238 a acre. I'm responsible for the weed control in it. I had talked to a guy in Iowa a year ago that had some in CRP and he was getting over 300 a acre. On the farming end around here it is pretty much no till. Rotate corn and beans. With prices down. Cash rent has been down for awhile 

Ed

We get $80 an acre for heavy clay...and I'm happy about it.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!