iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do i have to sticker right away

Started by Jeremy2200, August 17, 2011, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

Got another question for you guys. Im full of them lately. I am a full time fireman so I saw on my days off.My question is can i saw one day flat stack it on the trailer without stickers on it, go back to work at the station, then cut the next day, and then stack and sticker the load the way it should be. I am worried about stacking it on the trailer and leaving it for 48-72 hours without stickering it or will it be ok for that long. Just trying to maximize my time and not have to stack every day when i get home from sawing
Thanks
Jeremy

Jim_Rogers

What type of wood are you talking about?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeremy2200

Jim_Rogers

I'm not sure about oak in your area. If it is high in humidity them maybe. Someone else from your area should give you some advice on that.

I usually stick everything all the time as I stack right off the mill, summer or winter.

Summer time to prevent blue stain and mold, winter time so the wood doesn't freeze together. But you probably don't have to worry about that in MS.

Good luck with your research.

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

woodmills1

you might get away with it on oak, don't try it with pine

why not cut some then stack some
in hot weather it is better

also watch out for hot sun on oak it will cause check that may or not plane out
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

red oaks lumber

sticker each board as you pull of the mill, no need to double handle
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodmills1

but my sticker pile is way over there :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeremy2200

I cutting away from home having to put it on a trailer and bring it home to stack it

ladylake

3 days max in hot weather.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

buildthisfixthat

no you do not have to sticker oak right away .leave it stacked on the trailer for up to several days after that it may start to show some mold if it gets rained on other than that it will just dry slower
shop built bandsaw mill

paul case

a couple of days and you will start to have mold or stain problems in the summer. sticker the next day is your best bet.
Quote from: buildthisfixthat on August 17, 2011, 09:52:09 PM
no you do not have to sticker oak right away .leave it stacked on the trailer for up to several days after that it may start to show some mold if it gets rained on other than that it will just dry slower
it is probably a little different  in ms than in me.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeremy2200

very hot and humid here in the summer

red oaks lumber

sticker it on your trailer then time dosent matter
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodmills1

more than 3 days good wood gone bad

5quarter

I agree with red oaks lumber...it will start to spot pretty quick. doesn't have to be perfect like your stacks at home, just enough allow some air flow. Throw your slabs on top to keep the sun of them.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

isawlogs

Sticker on the trailer, no sense wasting and taking a chance on loosing good wood. What if you can't get back to it in time... Not much time in stickering as you go, then you have peace of mind   ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fishpharmer

Hi Jeremy, I'm South of you in Meridian, MS.  As these fella's advise,  stack and sticker as soon as possible.  My experience has been exactly as others mentioned, especially with our heat and humidity.  I mill part time as well.  Had a load of red oak flat stacked on a trailer a little too long, a week,  (for several reasons beyond my control).  The boards on top dried and checked BAD.  Found it best not to leave red oak in direct sun.  Some of the interior boards had white mold growing between them too.   

Also, some of the really large red oak logs I have milled spanned a time period of several days each.  Mainly because other commitments.  The exposed wood on the top of the log (think Lucas mill) checked in the sun as well.  It was easy enough to mill off a thin layer, but a waste of wood and time. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!