iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer lt30

Started by millstead, August 07, 2012, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millstead

i stopped today to look at a woodmizer lt30 that a guy has. he says he would like to get rid of. he bought it brand new in 1982 and it has been un used for the last 15 years and stored out side with a cover over the engine . i tried to turn the engine over and it was tight . mill only has 700 hours on it , no hydraulics but it does electric power feed and electric up and down for the blade . the condition of the electronics our un known . the mill is going to need some work to get it going. th owner says he is not sure what it worth and i told him i didnt know either and thats why im posting this to find out some opinions on what its worth . does anyone have any expierence with these older lt30s our they a good mill for custom sawing . do they cut fast i saw a video someone posted and it was cutting verry slow. thanks for all the insight

drobertson

Sounds like one of those things one has to see in person. what kind of engine is on it? , Might put in a fresh battery and try out some of the functions. I know an ole timer who has use one for years and years.  If you get things working,excluding the engine, you might make an offer,  $1000> might be a jewel. might be a head ache. Does it have a trailor package?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't know what kind of market you would be sawing in, but if your gonna be milling to sell lumber, I would consider buying a brand new or at least a newer mill than you are describing.

If you are gonna be milling for your own wood and you enjoy rebuilding and refurbishing old equipment, try to get this mill has cheap as you can.

When you say the motor was tight, was it frozen up?

David

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

82 would be a very early model and most likely have a small engine and so it'll saw slow.

With enough info, Wood-Mizer can suggest a value.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

millstead

yes the mill has a small tecumseh engine i was thinking if i put a bigger engine on it might saw faster . what size engine would you suggest

hackberry jake

My mill came with a 13hp Honda an I replaced it with a 20hp Honda. I would shoot for 20 or 24 hp if I were you.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

moandrich

We have a lt30 with a 18hp briggs.  love the mill but wish the engine would blow up so we could put a bigger motor with alternator and debarker.  If you can get it for the right price I would jump on it.  Having said that, we cut for fun and soon after we started we decided that if we ever sawed for profit we would change to a hydraulic mill.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

landscraper

I have a late 80's lt30 with kohler 16? Hp - since i load, cut and offbear solo when i cut it's fast enough for me.  I saw in my spare time for myself cutting framing and forming lumber out of pine only - i think she'd be slow on hardwood or as a production venture.  I will repower one day, soon as i get all the other stuff on my list done.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

customsawyer

The main question I got out of your post was "is this a good mill for custom sawing?". No. I am sure it is a great mill as a hobby for yourself but I wouldn't want to try to make a living with it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

First off welcome to The Forum  ;D ;D 8) I am with Jake on his comments to  ;) and ill ad If it starts getting up there in price you might be better off getting a later mod or new mate   ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

grweldon

Man, if I could have found an LT-30 for $1000 I would have been all over it!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

millstead

i went and bought the lt 30 today i paid the man i bought it from 1000.00 dollars he counted the money and then gave me back 200.00 said he thought 800.00 was more than enough. he was glad someone was going to get some use out of it i put two new tires on the mill and brought it home . after getting it home it only took about 30 minutes to get it running had to change a fuel line and the ignitoin switch it runs like a top . all the electronics worked . i did have to heat up the leveling jacks the where rusted tight and the head blocks where also tight but a litle bit of work and its ready to saw with. before i do any sawing i will give it a paint job im going to try to upload some pic for everyone to see thanks for all the help

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sounds like a GREAT addition to the family.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Leigh Family Farm

Nice purchase. Post the pics when you can.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

thecfarm

Now you went and done it. Once you put that blade into the wood, there is no turning back. You are almost addicted.  :D What's the plan for all of the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shortlogger

Sounds like a great way to get a taste of milling , I wish i could had found a deal like that when I started ,for 800 you cant loose
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Ianab

For that price I think you done good.

Having it start and most bits work is an extra bonus  ;D

While it wont cut as fast as a higher power mill, and doesn't have the fancy log handling, it owes you a heck of lot less. If you decide to upgrade later you will be able to sell it as a good workinglmanual mill, and get your money back easy enough. In the meantime you have taught yourself how to run a mill, and cut a heap of wood.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

grweldon

I think you stole it!  I would have much rather found one like that than to buy a new one, especially with the lack of time I've had to use it!  Didn't count on that problem...

Good job!  Enjoy!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

millstead

yesterday i ordered some blades from woodmizer. i didnt think they would show up so fast fed ex delivered them today so i got to saw some logs today. i w.s suprised how fast the mill cut i thought it would be much slower. for the price i paid i cant complain at all. and the people at woodmizer are great i called with some questions and they helped me out alot. i was wondering how long a blade last before sharpening and also anyone have any ideas for a lube tank and setup my mill does not have one.  thanks

Tronvik

Good to hear she is up and running. I used two old 1960s mapp gas aluminum cylinders, that i made into water tanks they only hold 2.5 gal. I fabricated them to rest like wm does, got tired of the plastic ones cracking. Just put a kohler 18hp on my 1984 lt30 its ok but imho it does not have the torque of the old k321 that came on the mill. Had a kubota 16hp diesel i wanted to try on it, but after talking with marty in pa. We thought it was was a little too much weight. Mind those track bearings the old mills rods are not as hard as the new ones, they will wear. A friend of mine in nc has one from 1984 that the upper track is so worn that i can shave on it  :D . But it still cuts perfect. Speed is not everything i cut for accuracy. Just finished milling all the floors walls and ceiling for my house. Air dryed the pine,built a freezer panel wood fired kilh. Had the tongue and groove machined by a friend. And then the wife and i installed. Good luck, i was in your boat in 2003 but payed 5000 to rescue mine from the weeds. Wm had the manuals for my mill,and they were helpful. But i learned from my friend in nc how to set up before i made the deal my mill.  Tron
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Thank You Sponsors!