iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buzz about sawmill insurance vs. bandsaw mill insurance

Started by Kelvin, October 22, 2007, 10:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

DR_Buck

If you just want to insure the mil and no liability, B.G. Balmer in PA will do it. rate is based on mill value.   $25,000 mill will cost around $600 a year.

I already mentioned earlier in this post that full coverage including equipment and liability can be had through Scottsdale Insurance Company out of Columbus OH.   Don't know what states they offer coverage in, but I know VA is one of them.   Costs me <$1500 a year for coverage on the mill and log trailer/loader  and $2,000,000 liability.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: lmbeachy on October 23, 2007, 03:32:05 PM
Kelvin, not sure if they do business in Mich, but you can give them a try. Penn. Lumbermans Mutual. Phone # 215-625-9233 Lester

I'm glad you guys have luck with PA Lumbermans  I just dropped them, they raised my rates $500/year each year for the past 3 years due soley to the mill.  The was for the woodworking business and sawmill business. I was at over 4k for everything and I had not claims nor accidents.

I moved my coverage to erie insurance, also from PA.  I got it from Lake Insurance in McConnellsburg, PA www.lakeinsurance.com and save over 1k on my coverage. I agreed to keep the mill stationary, which can save some big $$$  Not an option for some, but works for me.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: Kelvin on October 27, 2007, 09:28:07 PM
Thanks for the all the posts with insurance links.  I'll try them to see if anyone has something for people who are small.  I'll post here if i find anything.  Its weird how one company, say farm bureau, will cover some people in some states and not others.  Wouldn't the same company have the same policy everywhere?  The one post here said farm bureau charges them $800 for coverage on site and mobile.  This seems close to reasonable.  Why wouldn't all farm bureau agents have the same info?  Guess its up to individuals at some point.  We'll get this figured out and i think there is going to be some good buisness for someone who wakes up to the idea as others have pointed out, there are probably a lot of us little guys around.  I think most of us are operating without insurance as we haven't informed our agents, so if something happened it would be not covered. 
KP

The second you take a mill and make a single dollar, you fall under commercial in nearly all companies eyes.  $800 seems rather cheap in those terms, I would really question what they cover. My agent actually said the liability aspect of the insurance for me was rather cheap for my 1million policy.  Of course, insurance companies always seem to find a way to get our of a claim if need be.  For the wood side, my spraying lacquer, taking the mill offsite, wooddust in a shop with electrical outlets, fire, etc are all the risks for loss.  These drive up rates.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Quinn

Ladylake,

I dug out my receipt, and the cost for $1 million in liability was more like $500.  Sorry for the earlier low guess.

Quinn
Logmaster LM4 - 51 hp CAT, 2" blade, fully hydraulic, computer setworks, cutting length of 26'.

Greg

Wouldn't woodmizer or the other portable sawmill manufactures have something useful to add to this conversation?

Greg

logwalker

I would think they would be avoiding it like the plague. It may be the dirty little secret of mill manufacturers. They need to get on board and find a solution. It can get worse before it gets better. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ADAMINMO

I have heard from many sawmill owners that insurance is very hard to find for their sawmill.I have looked a few times to try to help answer this question but to no avail.
I was in a coworkers office the other day and saw this on his desk.

B.G. Balmer & Company
Eric Hample  888-885-6371 or 610-647-8880
Fax # 610-251-9368
www.bgbalmer.com

They are out of West Chester,Pa

Hope this helps you guys looking for insurance.
Adam

Kelvin

Thanks for all those who have posted info on places and amounts that they are paying.  Its seems in my case i found an agent willing to tell me what to do to get insurance.  I got some, (they haven't inspected me yet!) for merely $1700 + $700 for my dump truck.  I guess the big secret is to be a woodworker, cabinet maker, installer who does trim and flooring.  All these things i do, and the mill is covered but it is explained as being used for making lumber for my business with some side sales of lumber and mill work.  This is fairly accurate, but downplayed the custom cutting (which i really don't do hardly any of and mostly keep my mill at home, some folks drop off logs for sawing in trade)  This seems reasonable and makes everyone happier.  I have had a couple of offers to insure now that i changed my website page and changed my descriptions of how i operate.  I always told them, i don't know what i can get insurance to do, but here is what i have been doing and making about $8k-$10k a year.  (This would amount to most people's hobbies)  But they would all turn me down without any help. 
I signed the paperwork within hours of my bank kicking in default insurance to cover my house as i was dropped and couldint get anyone to help.  This cost $2,400 a year just for fire, no contents!  I now pay $420 a year on my house.
So, all in all i was very happy to write a check for $2,400 so i can keep working at $6 an hour selling wood.  We'll see how this inspection goes.  They said they want to come to one of my jobsites and watch me install wood i've made!  Hmmmm....  has this happened to any of you guys?
Just thought i would pass along this info.
Kelvin

DR_Buck

QuoteB.G. Balmer & Company
Eric Hample  888-885-6371 or 610-647-8880
Fax # 610-251-9368
www.bgbalmer.com

They are out of West Chester,Pa

Sawmill insurance for the mill only.  They do not offer liability.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

blueduck

Years ago when we needed insurance on a logging job and no one would underwrite locally, we ended up with a company who in turn went to Lloyds of London, at an affordable rate even.....

so if you talk to an underwrite who is hesitant, ask them if they have looked into http://www.lloyds.com/ that they might help you and others in the area.....

Currently i dont have insurance for the mill side of the operation, and is the primary reason i quit being a contractor in Idaho, I dont believe in limited liability as way of life and in accordance with Almighty God i believe i am in good standing....... from what i read in the Historical political record book most folks know as the Holy Bible anyway.

If I end up with financing then i have to accept man's way of living over what Almighty God tells us to do and that means geting isurance again to cover losses and prevent idiots from trying to take advantage of an operation..... and if i hire an employee then i have to cover them too..... mostly cause it is a law that the insurance agents got passed to be able not to produce anything in life.... just sit there and take in funds and go to conventions once a year.... [guess my opinion of some folks is not what they themselves think and may be slightly skewed] <---- i suppose not all agents are like that...... cause i know not all sawmillers take advantage of folks.

William
Central Idaho republik
Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.
- John Dretschmer

malcolmtent

Quote from: lmbeachy on October 23, 2007, 03:32:05 PM
Kelvin, not sure if they do business in Mich, but you can give them a try. Penn. Lumbermans Mutual. Phone # 215-625-9233 Lester

FYI: Penn Lumbermens doesn't write for portable mills.

kevin jones

i know this is an old thread but for anyone out there searching though the history books like myself, i have full coverage through Westfield Ins Co.  actually we have the house, property, buildings, personal vehicles, then my entire tree trimming business, sawmill. business equipment through them.  with the business i have a million $ umbrella which includes my portable mill.  they never asked any questions other how much is it worth.  for the tree trimming part, they asked if i had any experience, everything was verbal, no documentation.  i am in south west ohio.  cutting down 48" dia tree's that are next to a persons house holds way more liability than my sawmill, and they cover both
if you rest, you rust

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taw6243

My general liability is with Acquity Insurance Company from Klinner Insurance in Wisconsin. Their number is 1-800-934-5647. The customer service agent is Barb Jacobson. I got refered to them by Woodmizer when I could not find any insurer in Michigan. It costs 250.00 Per year for $1,000,000.00 of coverage per occurance.

4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

ladylake

Same astaw6243 here in MN + I carry $10000 worth on the mill for another $250, I know that wont replace the mill new but would help on a low hour used one.  Sure makes me feel better with liabilty insurance which covers at home and on the road.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kevin jones

if you rest, you rust

Thank You Sponsors!