iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The $1700 band saw

Started by hunterbuild, January 21, 2012, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastberkshirecustoms

There are pic's on page one.

isawlogs

::) I had seen those too.... Getting older  :-\   Thanks .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

eastberkshirecustoms

They do say that the mind is the first thing to go... ;)
My knees would tend to disagree with that though.

customsawyer

As luck would have it I was up by lake Sinclair today looking at a portable job. On my way back I saw this nice looking little shop beside a house and the shop had some nice looking board and batten on it and there was a stack of logs and sawdust just to the side. Out of the corner of my eye I saw that the owner was walking around in the back yard so I just wiped in to complement him on his shed. It turns out that he cut it all out his self on one of these mills. Well I got my first look at one. I will say that it will cut wood but I think it would leave a lot to be desired. The outside blade guide roller is not moveable so if you are cutting narrow lumber like 1X4s then the guide is a long ways off. I am not trying to knock on this mill but I would hesitate to recommend it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Slingshot

customsawyer;
                        The blade guides on the WM LT-10 is built the same way. The outside guide blade roller is also not movable. It cannot be adjusted to close the gap for narrow cuts.

Ozarkian

I read that the Woodland Mill's HM126 was very similar in comparison to the Harbor Freight Sawmill.  So I took it upon myself to do a little bit of investigating and compare the spec's of the machines directly from the website of each vendor. 
Here is the comparison I have come to.  The machines are similar in "design", but they are not the same machines.  The Woodland Mill's has several features that are not available on the Harbor Freight Sawmill.  See below.

Woodland Mills HM126
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Item Description:
Gasoline Engine 9.5 HP Kohler
Maximum log diameter 26" (660mm)
Maximum Board Width 21" (533mm)
Blade Size 1-1/4 x 144" (32 x 3657mm)
1 year warranty on the sawmill against manufacturers defect, which only excludes wearing parts such as blades, belts and bearings. The Kohler engine is covered by a 3 year commercial warranty which can be serviced through your local Kohler dealer.

Other features that do not appear on the Harbor Freight Sawmill:
Adjustable Reinforced Rear Handle Structure
Gas and Go Throttle,
Aluminum Lube Tank
Track Sweepers
Rectangle Track Cross Supports

Customer Service:
The Website for WoodlandMills . ca offer's their Mailing address, toll-free #, e-mail, and a web submission form.

*From my PERSONAL experience, I have called 2 times.  Both times I reached one of the owner's who was extremely pleasent and helpful to communicate with.  I have also sent an e-mail to the address provided under their contact section of the website, and received a response within 1 hour from the SAME individual!  Very prompt service and willing to answer any questions.

Harbor Freight - ITEM # 67138 MANUFACTURER: CENTRAL MACHINERY INDUSTRIAL
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Item Description:
Saw mill with 7 HP industrial gas engine.
Maximum log diameter: 22"
Maximum board width: 20"
Blade size: 1-1/4" W x 144" L x 0.048" T
Limited 90 Day Warranty.  The 1995 and later engines are warranted for two (2) years. 
If any emission-related part on your engine is defective,
the part will be repaired or replaced by HFT.

Customer Service:
Website has a wide variety of options regarding contacting customer support.  24/7 support available, Fax, toll-free number(s), and mailing address.

* From my PERSONAL experience, I called to speak to somebody regarding the Sawmill they carry.  First, I called my local retail location in Springfield, Mo.  and spoke with the store manager directly.  He out right said "we have nothing to do with the items on the website if they are not carried in our store".  I proceeded to ask if he knew anything about the sawmill, and he said he had never even seen it, nor' could have the item shipped to store for pick-up.
So I called the toll-free # off the website.  Went through a few automated prompts and finally got to a customer service rep.  Was definitely a language barrier, she sounded like a recording and asked for my name multiple times as she could not understand me...  Already frustrated, I proceeded to request information regarding the sawmill.  She could not answer any questions as she had never seen or used the item before.  I had to locate and provide the specific item #  67138 for her to locate it.  All she could provide me with was the price.  I asked how long for shipping and she said she does not know as it would have to be in stock and freight shipped.  I would not call it customer service, yet customer aggrivator  >:(.

Conclusion:
The Sawmill's may have similar design's.  But the Woodland Mills version appears to be larger, have more options, more reviews, and better customer service.  I have never seen or used neither mill in person - these are my observations after comparing direct from the website.  Woodland Mill's also provides very good demonstrations of their mill which can be found on their website and on YouTube.
If one is able to afford the Woodland Mill's model for the additional money, I would say it probably would be worth it.  But, like many of us who would like to cut a few logs off our own land with the least monetary investment possible than the Harbor Freight Sawmill may be worth a shot.  That is ONLY with utilization of the 20% off coupon that brings the advertised price of $2,500 down to $2,000 + shipping/tax. 
My $.02, take it as you will.  8)
-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

SPIKER

They probably will not honer the 20% off coupon for their s4awmill.   they do not take it off of many items compressors welders ect...

I have looked at them our local one had a return in store for somewhere around 1500 AND stated it was missing parts. what parts???   no idea.   it looked like it had never been assembled so hard to say.   I talked to the woman about it and went back to take a closer look next day or two and it was sold, price had been parked down to 1200 and manager said guy bought it about an hour prior.   

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

hamish

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on January 23, 2012, 10:25:01 PM
you get what you pay for

In many cases you also pay for the "brand".  Comparing apples to apples, I like the apples of the Woodland Mills HM126 more than the apples of the WM LT10.  When i bought my mill the Woodlands was a major consideration, and I spent alot of time speaking with the owners (Neil and........???that other guy) they were 100% honest and answered every mechanical/technical question I had.  At the time they were still in pre-production, and it was too far for me to travel to see and limited production mill.  So instead I chose another route, based upon touching and feeling one.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Ozarkian

Hamish, I agree with you 100%.  I spoke with a Woodmizer rep today, and mentioned the Woodland Mill's and the price difference.  I asked him how they compared...  All he could say is that if I purchased the WM LT-10 I would get 5% off of blades for life from the leading company in the industry.  Well...  That did not do much for me.  So I have decided if I purchase NEW, I am getting the Woodland Mills HM126.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

hunterbuild

Other than the motor the Hp is the same as the woodland. I ck'ed my saw and it will cut over 21" The track and cross members are the same. The log dog is the same. the band wheels the same. I would not be afraid to order any part from woodland for the HF saw. I don't expect the service will be the same from HF. I don't see much that could go wrong that I couldn't fix. The motor would be an easy change out. I was going to build one. But this was all the basics for less than I could do it for.

mometal77

I dont mind shopping at Harbor Freight.  Unlike Lowes or Home Depot you actually get helped on.  Locally even Hardware sales you only go when you need that special bolt or screw.  But other than that places sell the same products harbor freight does and all things are made in china.  I just bought a seal kit with many rubbers in the kit for 8 bucks.  At Netter Hydraulics they want 1.50 an O ring.  The welding rod last time I checked is made in italy and the grinding disks I have used a lot of them and not one has exploded on me to rebuild my MD 127 electric and other toys I have.  I just wish they would sell wire and bolts.  I sure do love the cheap electrical connectors.  And volt meters and surveillance equipment and motion sensor lights. :)
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

customsawyer

Slingshot thanks for the info. I did not know that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ozarkian

13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

hunterbuild

I will try to have a friend help me with a video this week-end. If not will get more pic up.

Ozarkian

Hooray!  8)  Or you can do like the Woodland Mill's people did in their video titled " 12" Walnut - Woodland Mills Portable Sawmill " on Youtube.  It's the operator's point of view through the entire process cutting a huge walnut tree.  Makes me wish I had a mill already  :'(.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

hunterbuild

Had a little time to cut up a small birch. It was ruff been on ground a while. Got two 2x7s 10' and a 2x7 10'.

Ozarkian

Very nice, staying quite busy it looks like.  How's it holding up?  Thanks for the pics!
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

hunterbuild

So far it is taking what I give it. Hope to get a big log to put it to the test. I do love the saw. With the skid steer I can handle it by myself and not get worn out. I have to get it off the ground a bit more. The snow and sawdust built up under the track.

WDH

Raising it up about 18 inches to knee height will make a huge difference.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I would also keep the skid steer away from it. I would run into it first thing.  ::) I put down 2 logs that I slabbed on one side. Left the slab side to put my logs onto,than roll them onto the mill. I have 2 pieces of 1/4 X 4 Inch flat stock to go from the slabbed logs to the sawmill. Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

There must be fourty-eleven makers of small mills in this country not to mention as many in Canada . I've seen them in all colors of the rainbow at the Paul Bunyan show and Ohio lumber show .

They are all light gauge stuff and use low horse power engines .They're really designed as "hobby " mills and as such from what I saw did okay on 14" stuff .Fact some will only handle up to 18" by maybe 12 feet long .

They aren't designed as stated for a production mill nor cutting 36" oak by any figment of the imagination .I suppose though an oak could  be ripped into cants with a chainsaw and solve that problem .

No way can a person compair one of these things to say a Woodmizer Lt 40 .That would be like a Yugo to a Cadillac .

Ozarkian

Al_Smith, I don't believe anybody is comparing this product to anything similar to a LT-40. 

This topic is regarding one of - if not - the cheapest entry level band mills on the market and a review of it from somebody who has purchased it.

Some individuals are only looking for something with the capabilities this and other mill's similar to it offer.  And those individuals have every right to get a fair user review without belittlement.  There are more "hobby" users, than there are high production users.  Their opinion matters.

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Al_Smith

:D Wow did I push a button and ruffle your  tail feathers .

Pardon me but at no time did I belittle a little mill now did I ? It was an  observation on my part not an ultimatum and certanly nothing to become overly dramatic about .

Fact if you really want to know I have two friends that have little mills and it does them just fine .One is a little Oscar I think and I believe one was made of components from Cooks .

I will not  nor   ever degraded how or what a person uses to reach an end goal .In the case of lumber if they want to use a pit saw that's just fine with me .  ;D

Ozarkian

Tail feathers are fine, no ruffles.  Just stating the purpose to this topic.  By comparing the obvious, "Yugo to Cadillac", is a belittlement - whether intended or not.

For those of us who can not afford or have need for a mill of that scale, these are our options.

Text can and often is misinterpreted by the reader.  My initial reaction to that comment may have been misunderstood, yet, I still believe what I wrote. 

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Thank You Sponsors!