iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Question

Started by Autocar, November 08, 2023, 07:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I have a small wet land in my woods and over the years it has filled in with leaves and slit. This summer it has been dry so this fall I took my Bobcat and started digging it out to hard pan but after about a small area I realized I was going to get stuck. A day later or so water sipped in and today I suppose it is a foot deep. But what I can't figure out the deer tracks are thick, track upon track and the water is muddy soup. I don't know what there up to but it is interesting seeing all the action. And a hundred yards east is a acre pond so I would not think that there drinking the wet land water
Bill

LeeB

Maybe some mineral in it they're after?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bluthum

By casual observations only [meaning not science] I've noticed that deer seem to go right past clean spring or creek water to drink from a fairly funky pond or seep.TReally foul livestock ponds excluded.

There are typically more choice browsable plants around stagnant water but in my mind insufficient to account for the attraction.

KEC

A lot of animals are quick to take note of things that change in their home area. Maybe they are just checking it out.

JJ

Deer like the sent of fresh turned soil, especially around rut.

JJ

BillyTheKid

Deer are very curious about changes in their home range. When I was building the house I am now living in, I had finished pouring the basement walls. Inside was complete muck after a rain. I built the foundation with a walk-in  on one side. One day I noticed fresh deer tracks in the muck. She came in the walk-in, walked a rather larger circle inside and wandered back out. Very curious.
multiple 372XPs; 540XP; 562XP; 592XP; stihl brush cutter 561 C; misc small Husq saws; Milwaukee  M18 saw; new stihl MSA 70 C

Thank You Sponsors!