Blade lead in exlpanation?

Started by Erik A, March 30, 2021, 10:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik A

Watching the videos, I have caught talk of blade lead in that then affects alignment when double cutting?

Would this also affect using the planer blade?

Also, what is the use of having blade lead in?

Edit:

WWDave

Quote from: Erik A on March 30, 2021, 10:07:04 PM
Watching the videos, I have caught talk of blade lead in that then affects alignment when double cutting?

Would this also affect using the planer blade?

Also, what is the use of having blade lead in?

Edit:
Hello Erik,

I think you are asking about 'horizontal lead-in.'  

This is the adjustment that keeps the 'back' of the blade from dragging on or re-cutting the log face.  You adjust it so there is a barely-visible transition line between successive 2-3" deep horizontal cuts.  
I have a planer blade accessory which I haven't used yet.  I suspect the 'lead-in' transition lines MAY show but don't know for sure.  It's a very simple and quick process to adjust the 'lead-in' so, if it is a problem with the planer head, I will make the necessary adjustments.  

Jake Peterson @NZJake  with Turbosawmill is very helpful and can provide a probably better explanation.

/dave
Turbosawmill M12-Auto

Erik A

Thanks for the info.

One of the turbosaw videos, when they were double cutting a timber, he mentioned needing to adjust the blade down 4mm to match the first cut. 

It got me thinking of how the bade is set up and then what that would do to the planer head!

I think I should of asked that the blade lead in should be in plane with cut which to my thought process should have it line up if you double cut??

NZJake

Horizontal lead is required to keep the hub rubbing on the face of the log. Generally it's a good thing as the hub is a heat sink.

You can run the saw perfectly flat for double cutting but I would recommend our standard insert tooth kerf of 7mm.

I was just showing a cheat method where you didn't have to fiddle with adjustments. I was just using the lift mech to join the cuts.

Its best to adjust the saw perfectly flat when using the planer head. 
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?