iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any experts on Piece-en-Piece log construction? (Short Logs)

Started by eddiebo, September 01, 2012, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklalogdog

beenthere: "Wondering what keeps a good stiff wind from knocking it over?"

Ha! the house shell in the video is to be moved and is for sale.  I went to their website.  Yeah, the footing looks a little flimsy but they won't leave it like that.  The posts will be attached to piers or some kind of stem wall.  The logs are all scribed to each other and then the ends are connected to the posts with either a tenon into a groove or a groove in both the wall log and post held together with a spline.  I'm not sure how sturdy the finished structure would be but since the posts carry the weight of the roof I am assuming it would be very similar to a timber frame.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

eddiebo

Beautiful job J.C. Whitecloud. How did you chink between the natural edge wall slabs? I absolutely would do ours like that. Is that mortar chink? We want to use mortar chink. Our building system  consist of 4x6 treated post concreted in the ground 10 ft apart. 5x7 pine beams set on top of the 4x6's with 4x4 post in between, with notched spiked joinery to the beams. 4x4 are cemented in the ground that go up to make 8 ft walls. 2x4 framing between the 10 ft sections of 4x4's at 2 ft on center. Corner post are 6x6's. Top plates are 4x4 post joined together with lap joints. Sort of a piece on piece pole construction system. Will post pics soon. I will use pine log slabs on front applied vertically, and the natural edge slabs you used J.C. on sides and back. I love this way of framing, because I can dry everything in before building the floor system, and I am doing it primarily alone.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Jay C. White Cloud

The walls of the house in the photo are 300 mm thick.  They are constructed of fresh off the mill mixed conifer, full dimension 50 mm x 150 mm stud, 600 mm on center.  At corners and other load bearing location are solid wood posts.  Roof and interior is simple corbelled timber framing of Chestnut Oak, 200 mm x 200 mm and some 250 mm x 300 mm main load carrying beam work.  Walls have no vapor barrier and wet blown in cellulose insulation 150 mm thick.  Roof has polyisocyanurate foam board 200 mm thick.

Chinking on the interior is a traditional paper mache' chinking.  This can be found in several locations around the world in folk architecture.  Exterior is a modern elastomeric chinking.  Would have used an adobe or lime plaster if possible but client were talked into the elastomeric type.  It is performing acceptably but will need to be monitored for "pulling."  NEVER use any type of portland (concrete,) based chinking mortars.  They are very hydrophilic in nature.  When historical cabins started having their old mud chinking remove and replaced with concrete, water damage and rot set in rapidly, causing much more harm than good.  You can still find books and web advice for mixing different types of concrete as a chinking replacement, DON'T DO IT.  Why this advice is still being given makes no since to me and I continue to battle it in the restoration jobs I have to do.  I seldom use concrete, preferring stone, lime or adobe, when I can use it.  Many historical societies and museums no longer allow the use of portland based chinking in their restorations.

As for your wall, log, and timber configuration, I would have to see a model or cross sectional drawing to better understand it.  If you haven't already begun construction, I would be glad to critique your intended designs.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

schakey

Check out loghomeliberation.com,this is how we want to build using the WM MP100 moulder/planer and square logs with the t&g knife set.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

eddiebo

If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

eddiebo

Having trouble uploading pics of house building techniques. Will try again.

grweldon

Very similar to the way I built my house, only your's is quite a bit larger.... Mine is 24 x 24.

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

eddiebo

Any finished photos? Please post. What siding did you use?

grweldon

I posted a link to my blog... I think it was within this thread.  It was removed by the moderator(s) for some reason.  It details the construction history of my house.  I might be banned if I post it again.  I didn't really want to post it in the member's website section.  Eddiebo... I messaged the link to you...

Also, the house isn't yet finished.  No siding yet, just Tyvek over OSB.  I'm going to mill siding from SYP one of these months/years...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

You said "my house" like you might be living in it.  But apparently not.
You can still put a pic or two in your gallery here and post pics. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1938farmall

Jay C. White Cloud,  could you please give us your recipe for non-portland chink mix?  thank you.
aka oldnorskie

grweldon

Quote from: beenthere on November 08, 2012, 06:27:25 PM
You said "my house" like you might be living in it.  But apparently not.
You can still put a pic or two in your gallery here and post pics. ;)

I HAVE been living in it since July 2008!

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello 1938Farmall,

Well there quite a few depending on the application.  Inside I like to use a clay or liquid wall paper type and for the outside, perhaps the same, if I have good overhangs on the structure, otherwise use a lime based mortar.  We didn't start having problems with old cabins and vintage brickwork until folks started throwing the water holding concrete mortars into any crack they could find in a building, be it brick, log or timber.

Now you asked about recipes, well I'd rather you tell me which one seems good to you for your application.  Here is where to start looking for many of the different kinds:

For lime advice, these are the folks: http://virginialimeworks.com/  You can then go out on the net and see all kinds of applications.

For paper, this co. can give you an idea of the look.  http://www.cotton-wall.com/colors.php  You can also use "liquid wallpaper" as a search query and find more than you could imagine.  You can also just take cellulose base insulation and start experimenting, (not great color choices without some effort,) casein makes a good binding agent.  Look at "paper mache" formulas for ideas.

For a bought premix, this is hard to beat, https://www.americanclay.com/shop/index.php but you can do a search for all types of "wattle and dub," "light clay" etc.

Let us know what you find and think about it.
;)
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!