iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My step father passed away and left me a log mill

Started by blu_krew, June 10, 2019, 02:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blu_krew

Hello,
I have recently become an owner of a 1996 Timberline Log "Turning Mill", capable of peeling, copeing, and sanding up to a max of 1000 linear foot per day of 28'x10' logs, computerized control center which controls speed and amperage.  
I am taking this information off of an appraisal from 2004.  My question is, is this an obsolete piece of equipment?  It has been in a storage unit for the last 10 years.  Also, if you were in my shoes, what would be your first step in parting with this equipment?  I thank you in advance for any advise.

longtime lurker

It's not obsolete... technology doesnt change much in the sawmilling business, and things tend to be built to last. But neither does that means its valuable.... any machine thats sat in storage for a decade is likely to have bugs that need sorting and nobody spends much if they cant see it working. End of the day you'll either have to sell it cheap "as is where is" or pull it out and get it running. It's a barn find, and from a buyers perspective thats always either a gold mine or a nightmare and you never can tell which is until it fires up.

Sorry about your dad.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

randy d

I think if I were in your shoes I would make a call to Timber King and talk to some one about the mill and its value. You may want to give some thought to may be keeping it for a while if you have access to any logs having a mill can sure save you some money on a building project. just my two cents. Timber king makes a great mill. Randy

WV Sawmiller

Randy,

This sounds like a big lathe rather than a sawmill. Looks to me like it debarks and makes irregular shaped logs into perfectly round ones. Sounds like it would be used to make specialty items like porch support beams/columns and such. If you have a market for such items it could be a gold mine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

Randy,

It isn't a Timberking, it is a Timberline log lathe.  Too bad he didn't post a photo but photos of similar machines are available on-line.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!