iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame pictures

Started by Larry, March 23, 2004, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Don't know a thing about timber frames other than I like the looks.  Came across this one going up in Springdale, Arkansas about a month ago so I stopped to take a few pictures.  Not for sure what it is going to be as there was nobody around to question.  It's on public land so I'm thinking maybe a shelter house.

I thought it was curious that all of the post's were oak straight off of a bandmill (maybe some of Arky's work) while the beams and rafters were S4S and appeared to be DF.  

The pipe had about a 6"X6" 1/4" plate welded on top with holes in the corners for I assume lag bolts to run up into the post.  The thin metal was just flashing.  Last week they had brought the fill up level with the pier.

I'll try to get more pictures as they progress and try to catch somebody around so I can ask some questions.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

redpowerd

nice 8)

i would have liked to see them raise those bents onto those piers :o
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

oakrocker

Larry,
The new structure that you so nicely photographed was erected by the local (Fayetteville) botony club or society (don't know correct name).
I was familiar with one of the fellows that were credited with erecting the frame as someone I had heard about about 10 years ago when we started on our house frame. It is going to be a public park with gardens and such as I recall the article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
It is a very nice frame and is sure getting a lot of viewing along the highway where it is seen by thousands of people every day.
Kirk

Jim_Rogers

This structure was raised as a Timber Framers Guild workshop for the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks.

It was done between November 9 and the 22nd, 2003.

To see the complete raising photos and workshop info check out this site at the Timber Framers Guild page:

Botanical Garden of the Ozarks Workshop & Rendezvous

To see photos click on reports and follow the link that says "More Photos".

Jim Rogers
TFG member
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Larry

Thanks for the link Jim.  That is the first timber frame I have really looked at closely.  I was amazed to see how precise the joints were cut and how nicely everything fit together.  There are a few extra details on some of the beams that you can't see in the pictures.  The guild really did great work.  Can't wait till I see it all finished out.

The structure is right on a busy highway and I see people pull off the road quite a bit to take a close look at it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

beenthere

And I thought this was what you were talking about.

;D
But now I know better. Nice timber frame workmanship. Hope it gets covered before too much more weathering and staining.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

I have to admit I'm puzzled by why they use such a small piece of metal out of the top of the concrete tube. I'm sure they know what they're doing just curious.

I like your picture frames beenthere. Neat idea.

ARKANSAWYER

I was going to run over there and help raise the frame but they did it during deerseason.  There are just some things I do not miss.  Now next weekend turkey season opens what do you reckon the chances are for you to catch me at work?
  It is a nice frame and would have been fun.  Most of the time I work alone and it is  pleasure to work with trained hands for a spell.  But the tree lounge was a calling me for a nap. I mean hunt. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Squirrell_Boy

Hi Norm and others! I think i know the answer to your question
about the small piece of metal out of the top of the concrete tube. On the drawings from the Timber Framer Guild website it appears the building will have a beautiful stone foundation right up to the bottom of the timber posts. It is going to be a handsome building. I really wanted to be there for the cutting and raising of this building, but i couldn't pull it off. I attended a Guild event last year, the Phelps Barn restoration and rendevous in Elmwood, Illinois. I had a great time. They are really nice people and go out of their way to help novices like me. They welcome people of all skill levels and backgrounds.
Be careful though if you go. You will most likely get the virus for timber framing and the only cure is more timber framing.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Larry

The building was recently finished...thought I would add few more pictures.

They still have quite a bit of work to complete the gardens...hopefully by this coming spring.  If your interested in timber frames, landscaping, or gardens this would be an excellent place to get some idea's.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting the pictures, Larry.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

Quote from: Larry on October 26, 2006, 01:54:28 PM
The building was recently finished...thought I would add few more pictures.
<snip>
They still have quite a bit of work to complete the gardens...hopefully by this coming spring.  If your interested in timber frames, landscaping, or gardens this would be an excellent place to get some idea’s.

Funny you should mention that, my shingle out front says "Landscape Design & Installation"  :)
And I have a secondary shingle planned that will say "Timber Frame Landscape Structures".  :D

I'll have to take a tour if I can get down that way.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Larry

Just to keep your interest up Raphael, they have maybe six gardens under construction.  All unique and quite beautiful.

I know this isn't the correct term...but you ever see bugs this size? ;D ;D ;D

Small completed garden.

Thank You Sponsors!