iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures from JoeyLowe's Timber Frame

Started by Jeff, September 28, 2004, 11:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

I keep forgetting to post more pics and with my schedule, I sometimes forget where I'm at too.  Anyway, for those of you who are interested, here are a couple more shots.

This is a pic of the first girt between bents one and two.

Here is the second girt going into place.

--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jim_Rogers

Now you're cooking.....

Looks good......

Jim Rogers

PS. Joey: I'd show you pictures of my yard but all the snow, would scare you.......

Current outside temperature 16°
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

JoeyLowe

Good Lord!  I could handle a little bit of snow, but 15 degrees is too cold.  We dipped down to 29 this morning, and I'm wearing three shirts, two pair of socks, carhartts, and a head stocking. (I get a little cold).  We should start our warm up tomorrow and they are calling for seventies by the weekend.  I've been to Maine in August and nearly froze my rear end off. ;D

I'll get more photos on here in the coming days, too!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

JoeyLowe

;D  Here I am putting the finishing touches on the next two posts.

Here's glimpse of my work area that I had set up to make better use of my time.  The beams on the tall horses are all designated as frame posts.

Here's a close up of a tenon.  

More pics later.  I'm too tired now.

--
Joey Lowe

Philip

Hello Joey.  Well it looks like you've made a LITTLE progress since I stopped by last month!  It really does take a while doesn't it?  In all my dealings I have found that pretty much everything costs more, takes longer and is more trouble than you first think.

I haven't started any major project, but have a couple I'm working on--it won't be too long now.  I do have a small job to do in my metal storage building.  I need to build a 500 SF 'mezzanine' floor for more storage and will use mortise and tenon joinery in the main support beams and posts.

Good luck Joey.  You should have a couple of nice days ahead of you this week to work on your shop if your business schedule permits.

Philip

JoeyLowe

Hey Philip:

Actually made quite a bit of progress.  We are working on bent 5 right now.  That leaves just one more.  The chain morticer made all the difference in the world.  The longest part of the day is spent on layout and double checking and then triple checking the layout.  Once I'm sure of my pencil marks, it doesn't take long to make the actual cuts.  I finish my day with cutting at least two braces and making 20 pegs.  That way, I stay ahead of the game for the next day.  Good luck on the floor.
--
Joey Lowe

TN_man

Hey guys! We just about have the whole group here now.
Thanks for the pics Joey, Jacob and I are watching with interest. We check this thread out from time to time in order to see how things are progressing. Keep up the good work. 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

JoeyLowe

Hey Jeff & Jacob:

How are things going up in Tn?  Are you guys staying warm?  The weather here is supposed to be super nice for the next week or so. I hope to have the remaining bents up in the next couple of days and then I will start on the king post trusses, and principal rafters.

I need to get a close up picture of the queen post on bent one and post it here.  I took the liberty of carving everyone's names & states that attended the first class into those posts.  When I had the local building trades class from the high school come by for a field trip, they thought it was pretty cool that all of you guys participated in cutting that portion of the frame.

Jim's design on paper doesn't really do this frame justice.  You really have to stand beside one the bents to fully appreciate the beauty of this frame.  I was more than a little concerned about all of the braces that had to be placed at each post/girt/tie beam, but once done, it is simply beautiful.  I will keep posting pictures to keep everyone informed. 8)
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

;D  Here is my lil' helper cutting out a brace pocket.  He swings a mighty big hammer!

--
Joey Lowe

submarinesailor

Joey,

That last picture made my very jealous.  I have three daughters with the youngest being 22.  But the good news is my oldest is going to give me a grand son about the first week of June.  Give him a little time and he will be swinging away.   Can't wait to get him started.  I have a 24' x 36' timber frame barn on the drawing table. 

JoeyLowe

Hey Submarinesailor:

They make it all worthwhile.  One thing the picture doesn't show is what he said.  Something to the effect "Like this Daddy?"

My wife usually picks him up from daycare around 3:00 p.m. and as soon as they pull in the drive, he beelines for where I'm at, ready to work.  My two older boys try and slip past me when they get home, but I'm usually quick to nab them every once and awhile.  By the way, he had to have a set of carhartts too, so the wife found him a set at the local feed store.  He now has a little tool belt too.  Ain't life grand! :D
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

I'm trying to figure out how to upload new photos of the shop, but I'm so confused now that the process has changed.  Do I create an ablum first and then link or how do I do it?
--
Joey Lowe

Jim_Rogers

Yes create an album, and call it something like "My shop"
Then at the top of the album page select Up load files.
Then select up to five photos using the browse button and upload.
Once up loaded click continue and place them in that album, title them and describe them if you want to.
Once you've titled all of them, select the picture you want to insert into a post and at the bottom of the photos is some words "click here to copy photo address and img tags" and this will copy the location of the photo for posting in your thread.
Then create the thread and use control V to insert code.
You'll have to do that for each picture.
Good Luck,
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

JoeyLowe

Don't know if this worked or not.  I really need to learn how to post pictures.  I guess practice would improve my skills some.  Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here is another photo of my frame.  This was from a couple of weeks ago.  We have since raised all of the purlins and placed six dormers.  We are waiting on the T & G pine for the ceiling and the 3" sheets of rigid insulation.  Once those arrive, we hope to start drying this building in next week.    I will try and post more photos later, especially close up ones. 

I used the Timberlinx system to build my king post trusses.  I was really pleased with how easy this process was. 
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

Thought I would try and place a couple more pics before sitting down to dinner.  Here are a couple of the guys guiding the first king post truss into place.  We used a flat deck crane to raise these trusses.  Made quick work of the affair.  Raised all six trusses in less than 4 hours with just three workers and the crane operator.

Here is the basic Timberlinx system.  I have been working closely with Mike Preston and Neil Mclean of Timberlinx and I must say that these guys really have their act together.  Now I know it is not traditional timberframing, however, their product greatly improves the strength of trusses and can be hidden from view so that the appearance is the same as a traditional timberframing.  I'm sure that I will get some flack here from the purists, but my goal from the onset was to establish a timber frame building business. I used my personal timber frame project as a learning/training experience.  And, I quickly learned that some joinery requires skills that I have yet to possess.  Nonetheless, Timberlinx solved my problems and gave me the peace of mind that my trusses were secure and strong.

On the left is the actual drilling jig.  I can think of some improvements, but I will save that for another thread.  The jig works as advertised and is well made.  The pins in the middle are the positioning pins.  They are used to coax the actual pin and wedges into place once the holes are drilled.  Of course, on the right are the pins and the wedges.  Pretty simple assembly and even easier to use.  What you save in time and frustration  quickly compensates the initial outlay for the jig and tooling.  If anyone is interested, I will gladly post more photos of how to use this system and I will share my experiences with anyone who requests.

--
Joey Lowe

sandmar

Looking good Joey! First time I have seen this system...looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for sharing pics and keep us updated!

Sandmar

clif

Great job Joey 8)  I have some of the Timberlinx, but have not used them yet .  Are you using them for every joint or just some?  They certainly seem like they might be an answer to my Building inspectors concerns.  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

JoeyLowe

Hi Sandmar:

It's been a slow process, but a great learning experience.  Since the building is for personal use, I tend to put it on the back burner occassionally in order to concentrate on other things.

Hi Clif:

I only used the Timberlinx for the trusses.  I used traditional mortice and tenon joinery elsewhere, however, in hindsight, I would have used them to connect the connecting plates to the posts too.  They are definitely stronger than any traditional joinery and they are foolproof.  One lesson I learned the hardway is that no matter how screwy the layout appears, just stick to the measurements given in the manual and all will work out.  Mike Preston has blessed my request to post a basic tutorial here and I plan to do just that in the next couple of days.  I understand that they are working on a video tutorial that will be available in the near future.
--
Joey Lowe

UNCLEBUCK

That is one fine job you have done Joey . More power to ya !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Timber_Framer

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Thank You Sponsors!