iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Score Of The Day Thread

Started by mike_belben, December 15, 2021, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

For comparison's sake, Tom King, when I've gone out searching around the property I found a tv from way back in the 1980's or so. 

Those millstones are sweet and I'da freaked out if I'd found them. Good stuff!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Resonator

QuoteGranite was used to make many early millstones in America and they are good for grinding corn.
Does that mean that ancient stone could have been used by the early pioneer's for makin' grits...? ??? ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

rusticretreater

QuoteDoes that mean that ancient stone could have been used by the early pioneer's for makin' grits...
Certainly!  My mill has a corn stone and a wheat stone, plus a belt driven corn grinder.  One of the sale bins has a label for hominy. Mills sold as many products as they could.

The bedstone of a mill set was typically of the same size as the runner stone for lighter stone sets and about 1/2 the size of the runner stone in larger stone sets.  The stones are resurfaced as pairs(usually).  Bedstones just sit there while the runner stone provided the weight to push down on the grain.

NC and MD were known for producing granite stones in these times.  As these stones are what is known as monolithic(1 piece), it is likely they came from nearby quarries.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Tom King

My tractor loader is supposed to be able to lift 2,500 pounds.  It was all it wanted to do to lift that largest stone.  I'd judge it about the same a a cube of bricks.

rusticretreater

Now think about workin them stones, getting them out of the quarry, finishing them, loading them on a wagon, getting on site and then getting them in place.  Man, times were hard in them there days.

Most mills could handle about a 5 mile radius around their location. A 3300 acre plantation would load up a mill pretty good. 
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

WV Sawmiller

IIRC the miller usually worked for a share of the flour or meal he produced. I assume he used, traded or sold that share for other goods and services he needed but could not make or grow himself
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

There's a guy around the corner who I've met a time or two that had a yard barn "sail". My daughter was with me and we stopped in to see what was what.

I started up and saw this:

He'd already asked what someone would give him for a big colander and he turned her down but it was my turn. "what do you want for the drawers?" "what'll you give me?" "ah, my price is low, you aren't gonna like it." "try me." "30 bucks" "you got it". Whoa, sweet. Also, there's stuff in a lot of the drawers, and some neat old nails holding a garbagey piece of cardboard on the back that I took off. 

Then I saw a couple fans I liked:

"10 bucks each?" "yup" I've spent 40-50 on similar fans at the flea market.

Then these old pop cartons I usually get for 15-20 bucks each were 10 a piece or maybe 25 for the 3 of them:

You can see how I use them in the pictures above. My flea marketing instinct is that these, especially the yellow coke one would go for 25 each, if not more at the flea market.

I also got a big boat propeller for 10 bucks. All this junk for 85 bucks. The drawers by themselves, I've seen similar, for 120+ bucks and passed several times.

I was thrilled with this stop. He also had a couple sweet early to mid 1960s Ford  "window" vans. I didn't get a picture but they were really cool and nfs.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WV Sawmiller

Heck, and I was happy to find a Paul Bunyan book to read with/to my 6 y/o grandson for 25 cents. Looks like you done good!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Nice find on the parts bin/drawers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

aigheadish

I just replaced the cardboard, on the back, with a sheet of 1/8" thick plywood. You can see I used a bunch of the original(?) nails, but had to augment with a few new-fangled nails to keep it holding. I don't know the age of old school nails... 1930s? The wife wants it inside, I'll try to post a picture.

It's hard telling, with neat pieces of history, whether you want it in the shop, where it's home, or in the house where it's art and I'm likely to see it more... I bought it to be in the shop.

Ha! Edit! That 85 bucks also included a pretty sweet chicken weather vane! I forgot! 

bluthum

Nice parts bin and very useful.

Nails like those could still be bought up into the 80's at least on the cheap. As I recall they were usually "blued'' what ever the coating was. Most effectively driven with a magnetic tack hammer. They were used to put cloth or carboard backs on furniture among other things. I think I have a can of them somewhere, saved for when I needed them, which has turned out to be never. So far anyway. 

Ljohnsaw

Upholstery tacks. I've used a lot of them!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

twar

The drawers would be a seed-saver's delight!

Jeff

Another old Tin score. About a dozen sheets averagin 12' long.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Old tin should never be thrown away!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

My lovely anti-hoarding wife told me, a few weeks ago, about an old antenna scaffolding that someone had chopped up and tossed on the curb and to go get it. So I did. I've got 4 or so pieces of this stuff and it's all at least 6 feet long. I also have an almost unlimited supply of these stainless, very shiny pieces of steel that I've been collecting for a bit. As I was putting the scaffolding stuff behind the barn I had the thought "Discopants" and it made me laugh. 

I've been considering big metal yard art for a while and started something a few years ago that didn't go anywhere, but this has potential. I'm welding (poorly, very new to welding) all these shiny plates to the scaffolding so they will end up the legs of what will hopefully end up being an 11+ foot tall sculpture to stick in the yard somewhere. So far it looks pretty neat and for both legs it should be around 450 of these plates. There's a reasonable chance I don't finish it, but I also need a good idea for the torso, arms, and head. Someone suggested a 6 cylinder motor for the torso, but I'd have to go buy it and so far the only thing I'm paying for is welding wire. I thought of a big rock for the torso, if I could figure out a way to mount it... If anyone has any ideas (design committee, where you at?) I'm happy to hear them. 

I'll also need to consider placement, the plates are basically mirrors and the whole thing may be blinding or potentially a fire hazard... So, let me introduce the beginnings of Mr. Discopants.

mdp3.jpg

mdp1.jpg

mdp2.jpg

rusticretreater

Mr. DiscoPants? That is why wives don't want you hoarding stuff.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Old Greenhorn

Austin, that looks like Rohan tower you got there. Pricey stuff always in demand for hams. How many horizontal rungs are there in each 10' section? If there are 8 rungs I believe it is Rohn 25, otherwise Rohan 20. The legs should measure 11" apart, center to center. If it is Rohn, just be aware that it is hot dipped galvanized and you should be real careful burning on that stuff, it's very bad for ya, the smoke that is.
How many sections did you get? It goes for a very decent price used in the right circles.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

@rusticretreater - She's actually into the project! ...this time...

Tom, I'll have to check, I'm not sure, I think I got maybe 20 or 30 feet but cut into random chunks. And thanks for the galvanized note, I haven't had my respirator on, while welding, but I'll start next time. I'd thought about it but just didn't do it.

aigheadish

It looks to be 1 foot spacing on the rungs. I'm counting 7 on around 7'. 

doc henderson

good ventilation is best.  it is zinc oxide, and you can get fume fever.  feel like crap, a bumped white blood cell count, and fever.  goes away in a day.  welding outside will do it unless you are inhaling fumes.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I was out in the driveway so that's good. Maybe I'll set up a fan and forego the respirator. I think I usually hold my breath a bit too...

doc henderson

treatment is tincture of time usually less than 24 hours.  symptomatic treatment like ibuprofen for headache or Zofran for nausea.  Had it happen to a professional welder, helping out a buddy at home.  His wife was furious and brought him to the ED and demanded to know what is wrong.  the pt. had already tried to explain it to her.  I confirmed it was fume fever and proceeded to send him home, and she again demanded treatment, of which there is nothing specific.  finally, the man got up and walked out and she followed.   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

On welding that galvanized stuff  first you  need good  ventilation .At one time they recommended drinking milk which would cause a mucus that coated your lungs in an attempt to stave off zinc poisoning .Weather there was much truth  to that I have no idea .
Galvanize is misereable to weld .It smokes so bad you can't hardly see the arc .Best done with a hot burning rod like 6010-6011 .long  arc it going back over it with a back stitch after you've burned a path way through the zinc .

Andries

Quote from: doc henderson on April 25, 2024, 10:45:19 AM. . . . His wife was furious and brought him to the ED and demanded to know ....  finally, the man got up and walked out and she followed. 
Doc, I'm thinking the 'elf with snowball' might not be the best electricuted-smiley emoji for that scenario. Maybe something closer to a lightning bolt?
There are a number of medical types in my family, and some of the public drama that goes on in an ED is memorable. 
Dealing with the public!   :uhoh:
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!