iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just another little dogwood

Started by Don P, April 21, 2024, 09:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

They have come into full bloom here this week which might have put them in mind. I was doing a little cleaning up in the shop and there was a dogwood stem I had set in there for handle stock. I don't treat it well and have burned several powderpost infested pieces recently. So I chopped a fresh end to see if this one looked like it was worth keeping, then I looked at the growth rings, wow!

I had to blow it up to count the 45 rings in the ~3" diameter stem... which pretty well corresponds to when the pastures were fallow before we bought the place.

I've commented before that tight ringed, ring porous woods like oaks are less dense than fast grown ones. This tree is the opposite, this tight ringed diffuse porous wood is very dense. I suspect it would float very low in water, I'm guessing a specific gravity in the .70's ... hard!

Ljohnsaw

Would make a great mallet head.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Wlmedley

I had a pretty good size piece last year and made a few felling wedges out of it.Worked really well as long as the center is not used.Almost as tough as the plastic ones you buy although they are hard to find if they go flying into the woods.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!