iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardwood log grades

Started by C_Miller, November 20, 2004, 06:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

There is confusion when your a primary producer cuting wood under 3 different mill specs. Its easy to make a few mistakes, but will soon rectify themselves if your in the business long enough. Where the easy part is if its your mill and your specs where you don't worry about some one else's mill if your not trading or selling logs to them (for instance selling your surplus for a higher price if your supply is sure and steady). OR, if your dealing with one buyer always, hopefully they don't keep shifting their specs. This was why no one wanted to sell to log buyers because they kept changing the rules. But, Ron is right when he stated earlier that most loggers go on production. Some folks here with slashers will leave the trees treelength and buck the log grades from the pulp road side. They also 'try' to leave the treelength on some sites thinking the log buyer is going to do the bucking. If I was the buyer I'de say see ya later boys, let the logger buck his own would while offering some training possibly. It's easy to see stuff on paper but most folks don't wanna read papers, they want hands on. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

We have veneer buyers who will trim logs up to their specs.  Some guys will do the actual trimming, but others want us to run the saw.  We also will put long length logs (25') where the buyer will tell us where to buck.  

It seems to be a good process for both buyer and seller.  The buyer gets the most he can use from a log, and the seller gets the most from the log.  It doesn't work on low value products.

Beenthere

We have a tree value calculator based on the USFS tree grading system.

https://forestryforum.com/calcs/treevalue.htm

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!