iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrels

Started by kelLOGg, December 02, 2022, 07:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have an un-intimidatable squirrel that really likes my cut-off lumber storage rack in my barn and is bent on building a nest there. Several time a day, while I am working on the ground floor, I hear lumber fall and other sounds and rush upstairs only to hear scampering across the galvanized roofing and find another wad of twigs and leaves on the lumber which I scrape off onto the floor adding to the mess from my previous raid. It is the most persistent squirrel I have ever seen. I am thinking about getting a motion sensor/timer that turns on a powerful fan in hope the rodent doesn't like a cold wind blowing on his family and relocates. Any comments or ideas?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Hilltop366

I had squirrels in a old shed at the camp, I plugged the holes it was getting in from.

51cub

I don't have any experience with them, but I heard strobe lights will drive them away. It looks to me like the perfect place to try with little human traffic
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

terrifictimbersllc

Red pepper might fix it. smiley_devil  smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Some hardware cloth over the entry holes has worked for me... so far. Might be some hanging on the pegs just above the stored lumber cuts.  ::)  :D  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

It would be quite a big long job to cover the gaps between the tops of the studs and the roof. Barn is 50' x 25' with rough cut circle saw lumber so a squirrel can climb up the side like it's a ladder.  I'm gonna try red pepper first.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

moodnacreek

In a garden red pepper is a joke, everything likes it. I would set up a 110 conibear.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Hard to blame a squirrel for being a squirrel but I have had great success with my 22 ::)
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Resonator

My best customer uses "hot black pepper" for squirrels around his cabin. It is applied in measured amounts with a long black iron pipe. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

chet

And apply a plug so dat da pepper don't fall out of da pipe too soon.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

I suspect the barn here will be full of peanut hulls next spring. If I'm wrong then it was the winged bandits (blue jays) that keep snatching them. And yes they love peanuts to and way smarter than a squirrel at getting them. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

Once an animal decides that your place is its' home they can be hard to repel. Trap and kill it with utter confidence that there will still be plenty of them around. 

WV Sawmiller

Is it a squirrel or is it flying squirrels?  The FS is nocturnal, Grey (Cat) and Fox squirrels will be active during the day. If a FS they can get in about a 1" opening

I would try to trap them and relocate or, if not FS, eat them. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

In the early years of doing wildlife control, I relocated some gray squirrells and released them near my house. Not once, but twice they thanked me by coming down my chimney trying to get into my house and I got them out as they can't climb a smooth tile liner. Many squirrells have lived in human structures all their lives and do not want to change their habits. Our state wildlife agency frowns on relocate and release. There was a guy doing wildlife control here that used to release over 100 skunks a year on a Wildlife Management Area... an area dedicated to waterfowl habitat. Skunks love eggs.

kelLOGg

Pepper is not working so I have ordered a strobe light. One buyer's response indicated success in using it exactly as I plan to.

WV Sawmiller

I am anxiously awaiting the next chapter of this saga about "Disco Squirrel" with strobe lights and a dance floor made of wood pieces. :D

I will trade you 3 coons for 2 squirrels. I got up this morning and opened the door and had 3 coons in the dog food. They had pulled the sack of food over and were eating it and dipping it in Sampson's dog water dish. I chased them off and one ran over my foot and past Sampson who had finally gotten out of his heated dog house under the porch. I guess it is time to start setting my live traps again and get the pellet gun out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

No squirrel problems here, but mid-summer I had a skunk pair living under the mudroom which obviously doesn't have a cellar under it.

I managed to live-trap one of them and he/she will not return, but there was still evidence  smiley_smelly_skunk that there was another one in there, but he/she wouldn't trip the flipper in the trap and still managed to get the bait.

Then one night I saw an Opossum go under there and I think it chased the skunk out because I haven't smelled anything skunk related since.

I've decided to let the 'possum stay there for the Winter, then when the nice weather returns in the Spring, I'll get him out of there and do a better skirting job.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I get skunks here in the fall digging grubs and once in a while in warm spells of winter. The last rain there was one wondering around the yard. I don't have any chickens or dogs, so they aren't bothering me any. But if you do have animals that changes the perspective. ;)

Neighbor's barn cats will clean up on the squirrels once in awhile. A lot of spruce in the yard that are squirrel magnets. :D My woodlot has probably 100 squirrels, lots of spruce trees. Should see all the cone scale piles. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

It's kinda funny at the hardware store I use to work at.
They feed the birds squirrels and tell me that they got rid of 3-4 squirrels, but they still have 3-4 squirrels.  :D
Them squirrels are numbered by the 100's.  ::)
They kinda all look the same.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I set out 3 box traps on the porch last night as was awakened at 2:45 and again about 4:00. Two metal live traps and one homemade rabbit box. I now have firm commitments from 3 young coons not to disturb Sampson's dog food or my rest any more. Current score is: Coons - 0: .177 pellet gun -3

I fear they may be like thecfarms "3" squirrels though. ::)
Howard Green

YellowHammer

We used to catch squirrels by putting a few peanuts or pecans near their nest and letting them eat them.  Then, when they get used to the free handouts, throw a few into the back of a live trap.  As they hop over the trigger they will sooner or later trip it.  It's a pretty low key approach to catching them.  

I've nothing against critters, but when they start popping and peeing in my world, they have to go.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

Two more days until I get the strobe light for the disco party. Meanwhile, yesterday as I approached the barn a squirrel was climbing down it, saw me and shot back up, got on the shed roof, ran down it and jumped 10 feet to the ground, scampered to the nearest tree and climbed up it. Squirrel Ninja Warrior.

Brad_bb

You think that squirrel was persistent....  This summer a squirrel chewed my ignition wire on one cylinder of my truck two different times costing me $250 each time to fix.  Then one day I started the truck put it in reverse and started to back out and CLUNK CLUNK!  And I saw piece of black plastic on the ground as I backed up.  He was the space between the cooling fans and the radiator and tried to jump out and the fan whacked him first cutting the tip of his tail off (found on the ground), and then whacking him across the back.  He had a red bruised and abraded line across his back and wouldn't come out of that space.  After 4 hours in there I finally decided to use the hose and flush him out which worked, and he limped off obviously hurt.  Cost me $650 to replace the cooling fan assembly. Wasn't sure he'd live.  You'd think he'd have learned too, but a week or two later I found him running out from under my truck.  Then he chewed the transmission sensor wire on my car's transmission (both vehicles have to be parked outside) and that cost $400 or so because the wire couldn't be repaired because it was cut too close to the sensor.  Then the walnuts on the trees started falling and I think he got busy dealing with that and didn't see him after that.  I set 4 have a hart traps out with peanut butter after the first two incidents but over the next two months, never caught anything.  I'll be looking for him in the spring.  Not hard to spot with the docked tail and line across his back.  May have to use the .22.  Total cost of 1 squirrel so far: $1550
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kelLOGg

Okay, Brad, I won't compete with that. "uncle"

Got my strobe light up 2 days ago and I still have squirrels in the barn, BUT they are not in the vicinity of the light, so my lumber is safe. 8) They are not building nests (yet) but I hear them racing around so I may get more strobes.

gamjduke

I've trapped squirrels with the rat snap traps.  Just the huge version of your classic spring loaded mouse trap.  Also the large sticky traps for rats.

Thank You Sponsors!