iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade lubrication

Started by Shutterman007, January 10, 2018, 08:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shutterman007

Woodmizer builds their mills with drip lubrication, sometimes, as in cutting kiln dried walnut slabs, the wood can't get wet, so I ordered and plan to install felt block blade wipers to my lt15 wide. Has anyone else done this? Cooks sawmills are built with the blade wipers instead of drip lube.
  As part of this blade wiper upgrade, I'm changing my black belts to urethane belts from Suffolk hoping to reduce the pitch buildup from cutting SYP.
  Anyone with experience in this? Thanks

starmac

Are you talking about the band wheel belts that the blade rides on?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Shutterman007

yes, the 2 black belts on the band wheels that the blade rides on builds up with sap and sawdust that is impossible to remove, the urethane belts are touted to prevent that buildup! The blade wipers are installed(welded or bolted on) before and after the band meets the log( check out the cooks YouTube) the device is 179.00 for 2 from cooks. Mine are ordered, and my belts have arrived, will install this weekend weather permitting!

Southside

Try adding a glug of pine sol and another glug of liquid dish soap to your lube water when cutting SYP - it will eliminate the sap issue. 

I can't say I am grasping the idea of the wipers you are talking about.  If your water is feeding onto the blade before it gets into the log and you wipe it off right away, what good have you done to lubricate it?  I thought those wipers were more to keep the water from getting onto the wheels, belts, etc down stream of the cut. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Shutterman007

Yes and thank you for the tip! I am using the pine sol and dawn mixture in my water, but, since the buildup of resin from the long leaf seems to be inevitable, I'm going to wiper the blade with diesel before and after the cut! Hopefully the constant wiping will deter buildup on my new urethane wheel belts!

woodmills1

Just a note, I stopped using pinesol when I had to replace the blade guide rollers on a very short rotation
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!