iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member, another saw...

Started by Enderslbz, October 08, 2014, 04:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enderslbz

So my latest saw purchase was delivered yesterday, bought an 056 Mag off Ebay last week and I'm pretty excited! I bought it from a 100% rated seller for a lot less than most of them go for, so I was pretty happy.  Smelled a bit like old gas which made me nervous, but it fired right up and the kill switch didn't work, just as he said. I'll order one of those and get it put in ASAP.  Pretty stoked to bury that thing in a log and see how it does. Really hoping the ignition is ok on it, I'll try to run it long enough to see if it's going to quit on me.   Doesn't have a bar so I threw the 20" off my 290 on it so I can try it out later today.  So now I'm bar shopping for it, I always buy the Stihl bars, but my local shop seems to be getting ridiculously expensive so I'm thinking I might go aftermarket for it. I like having quality stuff so I don't mind spending good money if I get good parts.  I'm debating between the Stihl, Carlton or maybe trying one of the Cannon bars. It'll be a 24" sprocket tip, 3/8, .050 gauge and that way I keep all my Stihl stuff interchangeable. Any  thoughts? Thanks for your input.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Enderslbz

Also maybe the Total super bar? I see recently on here that they are supposed to be high quality.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

SawTroll

Quote from: Enderslbz on October 08, 2014, 04:42:04 AM
Also maybe the Total super bar? I see recently on here that they are supposed to be high quality.
They are - and some Carlton bars are the same bars - both are rebranded Tsumura bars.
Other Carlton bars are are of varying quality - they don't make any bars themselves, and have rebranded a lot of different bars - both good and bad ones. At the moment I believe most are rebranded Windsor (that is no longer supposed to be sold as Windsor)....  8)
Information collector.

Enderslbz

The Carlton speed tip to be specific
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

celliott

Don't overlook GB bars.
I just bought a 32" GB CN40 32" B+C combo for my 395xp, it was $67. Special deal from Left coast supplies (sponsor, top of page).
So far I like it, haven't used it that much, but research suggests the GB CN40's wear very well and are pretty tough. It'll be seeing CSM duty, so we will see!

Plus it's orange and looks pretty sweet on my husky  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

JohnG28

The Carlton speed tip I believe are the same as old Windsor speed tip. I have a 24" one that I use occasionally and it's been a good bar. For the money it has worked well and lasted well.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

mad murdock

Canon and GB are some of the better bars available today. Oregon's pro line of bars are good as well. I do not like the laminated bars, which are usually the ones painted with the saw Mgf logo on them. I prefer the solid bars milled of one piece of steel, with a replaceable sprocket tip on them.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SawTroll

Quote from: Enderslbz on October 08, 2014, 07:01:52 AM
The Carlton speed tip to be specific
That's Windsor Speed tip, rebranded as Carlton. As far as I know they are decent bars, but not in the same class as Tsumura/Total, Sugihara or Cannon.

I am no expert though, it just is the impression after reading zillions of posts on different saw forums.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on October 08, 2014, 09:19:47 AM
Don't overlook GB bars.
I just bought a 32" GB CN40 32" B+C combo for my 395xp, it was $67. Special deal from Left coast supplies (sponsor, top of page).
So far I like it, haven't used it that much, but research suggests the GB CN40's wear very well and are pretty tough. It'll be seeing CSM duty, so we will see!

They are heavy tough, but that shouldn't be a major consern on an 056 Mag. As I understand it, the GB bars aren't quite on the same quality level as Tsumura/Total, Sugihara or Cannon either.

Actually, I wouldn't be too conserned about which decent or better bar I put on that saw, unless you are going to use it a lot - all that are mentioned here so far should serve you well!  :)
Information collector.

celliott

Quote from: SawTroll on October 08, 2014, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: celliott on October 08, 2014, 09:19:47 AM
Don't overlook GB bars.

They are heavy tough, but that shouldn't be a major consern on an 056 Mag. As I understand it, the GB bars aren't quite on the same quality level as Tsumura/Total, Sugihara or Cannon either.

Actually, I wouldn't be too conserned about which decent or better bar I put on that saw, unless you are going to use it a lot - all that are mentioned here so far should serve you well!  :)

Well I'll see how it holds up to milling duty.
The weight on a 395xp milling doesn't concern me either. Not using it for felling  ;D
For the price, I'm not complaining though, that's for sure.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ZeroJunk

Enjoy the saw. I have owned several and rebuilt a couple. It will have the SEM ignition which is more reliable than the Bosche. Should have an eight pin sprocket and have about as much chain speed as the newer saws with a seven. I never did timed cuts, but they seem to have as much or more grunt than an 066. Sound good too.

Enderslbz

Thanks for the input fellas.  I'll do some shopping around and see what I come up with. This saw won't get a lot of use, but if I end up with an outdoor boiler like I plan to, there's a large stand of black locust on my property that's going to get dropped and this will be the saw to do it.  I've got a homelite 450 that's up to the task, but I'm partial to Stihl...  ;)
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Enderslbz

Has anyone used one of the Frostbite pro bars that CHAINSAWR has listed?
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Thank You Sponsors!