iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2002 Ford F250 Spark plug fell out?

Started by MartyParsons, July 15, 2010, 04:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
any of you had an issue with the Ford 5.4 gas Triton? I went out last week and on the way back heard a ticking noise. Shut the truck down and started back up again and the spark plug blew out on the driver side back clyinder. Lucky we were close to home, sounded like a two clyinder John Deere running.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Warbird

That is a common problem with certain year Tritons.  You can read more about it here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

It happened to a coworker of mine.  The dealer simply heli-coiled it and put in another plug. 

red oaks lumber

blew 2 plugs out in my 2000, the 5.4 has aluminum heads so this is a common problem.
to take the heads off to heilcoil the holes the cab needs to be jacked up 4" to get the head out. no simple fix.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ironwood

I have  a 2000 F-150 w/ a 5.4 and have not had any issues, 130,000 miles. This did happen to an Isuzu Trooper I once had, so I know what it sounds like ::) what a piece  of @#$%% that vehical was.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

MartyParsons

We purchased a kit with thread inserts and it took about 1/2 hour to install the inserts. Most of the time was to make sure there was not metal in the clyinder or the piston. I removed the other plugs and placed never sieze on the threads.
If they remove the cab or lift it up do they remove the antifreeze and A/C?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

flip

This is a problem with some vehicles IF it is older or the plugs have been left in to or past 100k miles.  Heads do not have to come off, we use a kit from Timesert, where the old threads are reamed out and new cut in and a insert (read not a heli-coil) installed.  Knock on wood none have ever come back but we usually replace all the plugs and torque them to spec.  We charge about $300 to do one hole, that includes plug, coil (usually damaged if plug blows out) labor, tax and material.  If you get quoted much more or they tell you heads have to come off, run.  :)  If you need any more info. PM me.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Warbird

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ely

that makes me cry ;D thanks for the hurt warbird.

dutchman

Happened to my 99 F 250.
Did a quick search on the net and found lots of complaints.
Truck was worth the fix.

Raider Bill

Sort of reminds me of divorce court ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

Raider .. Was that the quick search ? The lots of complaints ?? Or was it worth the fix ???  smiley_headscratch :D  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!