iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak ?

Started by Bruce_A, June 19, 2004, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce_A

Looked at some oak trees along my south line yesterday and they don't look the same as some others on the other side of the property.  I can't remember what the species is for western washington.  These are growing in wet areas mostly, but some grow in drier areas also.  The ones that caught my eye  were tall and straight  with very few limbs to about forty feet. Looked to be about 10 inches at the top. Mostly in areas with doug fir. Very straight and tall for this area for oak. Any help with Id and uses appreciated.

SwampDonkey

I am guessing your trees are Oregon white oak Quercus garryana, the only native I know in southeastern Vancouver Island (sunshine coast) and as far south as northern California. lobata is only native to western California valleys and the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Just a guess without a picture, they may be non-native transplants too. ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruce_A

SwampDonkey, Thanks, when the kid gets home with the camera I'll see if we can't  get a picture.

Thank You Sponsors!