iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Month in a Little Village by the Sea

Started by SawyerTed, June 26, 2020, 07:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

cool.  and we all think we have tough jobs!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stanmillnc

Yes, thanks @SawyerTed for the tour - I was in Hatteras last week and it's one of my favorite places. Cape Lookout is next up on my fishing trip list, probably this fall.

SawyerTed

Emily and I feel very fortunate to be able to do this.  Many years ago we talked with a volunteer at Cape Hatteras, he made the idea of volunteering at National Parks sound appealing. A few years ago I saw a Facebook post looking for volunteers here at Cape Lookout National Seashore, so I applied.  We wanted to go to the lighthouse but those slots have a waiting list. The Ranger in charge of volunteers asked if would try Portsmouth Village and we fell in love with this place.

This village is a special place and was very important to the growth of NC as a colony and eventually as a state.  There are descendants  of residents here who come by for a visit occasionally.  It's interesting to hear their stories of visiting their grand or great-grand patents here.  

Rudy Austin is the main Capt that runs the passenger ferry from Ocracoke. Rudy is a native of Ocracoke and his father was a caretaker here years ago.  Rudy has many stories about the Village. , it's residents and visitors.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and stories.  I am enjoying reading about y'alls adventures.  Hope folks are respectful of the location.  Be safe!  

SawyerTed

This young man is a descendant of Portsmouth Village residents.  He is also a member of the Friends of Portsmouth Island.

It was a pleasure meeting him and hearing his stories.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

The Outer banks are one of my very favorite places.  I make an annual Pilgrimage to Hatteras every Fall for surf fishing for red drum.  Only missed two out of the last 36 years. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

The Life-Saving Crew kept a watch from the tower in the top of the station.   This view is of the village from the tower. 

There's a variety of wildlife here and especially birds.  Of course a bird didn't make these tracks!  There is a resident bear.  

This is my view of Ocracoke on a quick run over to deliver some friends who came to visit. 

btulloh

I'm really enjoying this topic SawyerTed. 
HM126

SawyerTed

Portsmouth Village was established by the colonial legislature in 1753.  Ocracoke Inlet was the only inlet to the Pamlico Sound at that time. Portsmouth was to be the main port for colonial eastern NC - Washington, Bath, New Bern and Edenton.  By the 1770's there were several hundred residents servicing the port and shipping. 

Heavy seagoing ships couldn't navigate the inlet, so they would anchor and be off loaded onto lighter boats.  The smaller boats would take trade goods to warehouses built on the back of the island. Other vessels that could cross the Pamlico Sound would carry goods to and from the colonial towns. Primary exports were cotton, tobacco, tar, pitch, turpentine and lumber.

Just prior to the US Civil War, over 500 people lived here.  In 1846 a hurricane cut Hatteras Inlet.  That inlet was deep enough for seagoing ships to cross and sail directly to colonial towns inland. Portsmouth began to decline.

Union troops took the Outer Banks without serious opposition, during the occupation most residents left.  Many did not return.

SawyerTed

Here is a more complete record of storms and their high water marks in the village.  The door is to the storage shed behind the Visitor Center 

SawyerTed

Quote from: btulloh on July 04, 2020, 09:11:33 AM
I'm really enjoying this topic SawyerTed.
It has crossed my mind that some here may not be able to travel due to the virus.  I thought maybe some would enjoy a virtual visit here. 

thecfarm

Those buildings by the water always seem to have a different look to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Was that your boat? Can we see some more of it?

My wife and I stand by ready to help if you need it. :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Quote from: thecfarm on July 04, 2020, 11:07:21 AM
Those buildings by the water always seem to have a different look to them.
There are three houses undergoing extensive restoration right now. I'll share some photos and info about them later on. 

SawyerTed

Was that your boat? Can we see some more of it?

My wife and I stand by ready to help if you need it. :)

Yes that's my boat.  It's a 21 year old Wellcraft walk around cabin. It has a 200 hp Johnson Ocean Pro outboard.  I use her frequently on the lakes around home and trailer her to the coast several times a year.  
The park service has a consessionaire contract with a fine gentleman in Ocracoke to provide passenger ferry service to Portsmouth Village and to the beach. We sometimes ride the ferry but use our boat because I like to fish.  
Today we ran back to Ocracoke to Celebrate Independence Day!

This is Diversion

We just beat the squall coming across the Pamlico Sound. The boat ramp is on the west side of the island so we wouldn't have been able to load in the chop coming on shore. 

SawyerTed

We are in Ocracoke for our days off.  We walked by the school and the church.  The people here are pretty strong but I can tell they are tired.  Right after Dorian there was lots of support, but that has seemed to taper off.  Now COVID 19 has  curtailed their tourism income. The mental and emotional toll must be heavy.  

This is the inside of the school.

More of the school. 

Monday the church was 9 feet in the air on cribbing.  This week they lowered the church onto the pilings.  When we came by Monday, the pilings were in place and notched for the sills of the church.  Originally, the building was only a couple of feet off the ground.  

SawyerTed

Tonight we ate fresh caught sea trout, summer pickles, home grown cabbage (slaw) and French fries. We also had some homemade peach beverage. 

Walnut Beast

Looks like the peach 🍑 beverage has some adult spirits in it. Like Jack 😂

SawyerTed

Yes homemade adult beverage made from sugar and potatoes...

WDH

Is is tough to have to see you suffering so much :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

SawyerTed

This is one of the houses here in PV. The first photo shows the house after Hurricane Dorian.  The following photos are after the Friends of Portsmouth Island and the NPS joined forces to restore the house. 

SawyerTed

For those who have fished on North Core Banks/Portsmouth Island and stayed in the Long Point Cabin Camp, here is a photo of one of the cabins.  The cabins are closed and likely to be demolished.  The water is not potable but the bath house is operating,  All camping is in tents or truck campers.  

The good news is planning has started for new location for a new cabin camp.  

samandothers

The Babb house looks great!  Sad to see the cabins in this shape.  Mother nature can be harsh and unforgiving.

moosehunter

Our family vacationed on Hatteras for many years every summer. Two weeks at the KOA. From when I was 10 to 18 yo . Lots of good memories. We usually spent a day on Ocracoke.
When my dad retired he volunteered at Sherando Lake Just over the mountain from Charlottesville VA. He would spend a month on his way to Florida in the fall and a month in the spring. He seemed to enjoy being a VIP. 
 Thanks for the thread and stirring up the memories!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!