iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jewelry Box

Started by lowpolyjoe, June 09, 2016, 10:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I've been promising my wife a jewelry box for a long time now.   I've recently got it in my head to build a large table project that uses dovetails, so I figured building a jewelry box would get me some much needed practice.  I've only tried cutting dovetails maybe 4 times.  Not an easy skill.  But very rewarding if it comes out half way decent  :)

Wood was from the front of an old cabinet - I had a drawer front and a couple of raised panel doors which I dismantled to get at the center panel.  I then cut off the chamfer and was left with relatively small pieces, but just enough for this project.  Originally I thought it might be walnut because of the color, but after planning it was very red so I started thinking maybe cherry?   I have terrible identification skills so I'd be interested to hear what you all would say about the species.

Planed to a reasonable thickness partly by hand and partly with my new thickness planar.  Then cut to size with my table saw + crosscut sled.  I got a surprising amount of tear-out so I ended up pre-scribing lines with a marking knife before cross cutting with the sled.

As I was going through my phone this evening I realized I didn't really take any construction pics :(

I did record the obligatory project disaster.... while predrilling for the hinge screws, I drilled all the way through :(.   

Very difficult to get a plug small enough that it would create a giant patch.  The repair came out so-so.  Here's a pic before I cut and planed flush 

Shellac for the finish.  Always rewarding to see that beautiful color change as the finish goes on

The hinges I bought online a long time ago and just got around to using them on this project.  They were complete junk, as were the screws I bought with them.  Half of the hinges were bent.  They were all 'loose'.  The screws didn't fit the holes well and stuck out so far that the hinges would close all the way.  I had to drill out the holes wider and even still it was very close.  Next time I will look for quality hardware or pick up some vintage stuff at my local fleamarket.  You can see the hinge rebate here and two round holes that will hold magnets to keep the lid shut

And some finished shots

The second set of magnets is embedded in the lid and covered with felt bumpers.... those felt pads were too thick (and too large diameter) and I had to try to slice them in half to get the front closure gap to match the rear gap caused by the hinges.  I plan to look around for thinner/smaller felt pads and replace these.  Also wondering if I should add a piece of string or chain to hold the lid when it's open so the hinges don't get stressed.

I'm undecided if i'll build a small set of tills (or whatever you call them) to sit in the box.  Or perhaps just add a simple felt wrapped bottom insert.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result, as is the wife  :)

Czech_Made

Magicman

That is a class act and the dovetails really pop.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Nice box.  I really like the beveled top.

I build a lot of boxes and hinges have always been a problem for me.  Even if I find an affordable good hinge the next time I order they are junk.  Solid brass hinges are always nice, but so expensive.  I use a lot of the 8mm barrel hinges from Lee Valley when I can.  Cheap and good quality, but just for smaller boxes.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

kettlekorn

Great job.  Every aspect of the project really pops.  I'm sure your wife was impressed.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lowpolyjoe

Thanks everybody. 

Maybe i'll give the barrel hinges a try some time, thanks Larry.   I went to the fleamarket today looking for hinges but didn't find any.

Just Me

Recycling at its best! Nice!

Check out wood hinges. I make them on occasion, and they require no screws! If you want to try it I think I have some made up somewhere, I could send you one for an example.

Savannahdan

A big thumbs up on the jewelry box!  Really nice.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

lowpolyjoe

Thanks everybody.  I liked the first one so much I built another.  Slide top this time.  Definitely more work and i discovered my plow plane is tough to use even after I made a good effort to sharpen up the blade.  I thought i might try to sell this one, but my wife just informed me that this one is also hers. :D

mesquite buckeye

Very nice. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Looks like cherry to me. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bark Beetle

Those are fantastic!
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Magicman

Wow, that companion box is nice too.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Great job on both! 8)

Woodey

Dovetails look good. Great Job!
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Thank You Sponsors!