iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbors

Started by Peter Drouin, May 24, 2017, 06:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Might be time to take in the food, Getting busy out there.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

I put out the last of the corn out and got twins.  :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A new cat. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Old Greenhorn

He seems very docile. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 27, 2019, 01:56:59 PM
He seems very docile. ;D

Ya, hit by a car in front over by my driveway, old guy next door called me.
I found a 25lb bobcat, So I called fish and game to see if they want it They said yes. In NH they are protected, No show today. So it's in the freezer in a bag. I'm going to try to keep it and have it stuff, But I need a paper from them saying ok for me to have it. Or the guy won't stuff it.
The law. It is a tomcat.
That would be cool with it sitting in or on top of the hot rod at the car shows.  :D ;)
Should the cat be laying down or setting up stuff?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Old Greenhorn

Here in NY they are legal during the season, but last time I was active and knew the rules, if you shot one, you had to report it within 24 hours and wait for an inspection before you could 'legally' do anything with it. AN acquaintance shot one (by surprise, from the hip, no less) and reported it. He waited over a week for the DEC biologist to come. He said '"Next time, no phone call, I shot it, it's mine" and around here, the local guys have a network, so he could have the mount made without the paperwork. (accountants have another set of books, taxidermists have another freezer.) But that was many years ago, not sure what the rules are here now. I caught one on the game cam a couple of weeks ago, very shy. I have only seen one in the woods and I had a bead, but his head never popped back up once I had the gun leveled. A buddy of mine who does not hunt, but he accompanied me on a weekend turkey hunt one spring and I posted him up the hill behind me to watch as I called. He watched as a bobcat stalked up behind me as I called. I never heard it of course. The bobcat was 15 feet from me when I gave up and stood up. He shot off like a cannon, I never heard or saw him. My buddies eyes were wide as saucers, he had never seen a 'house cat' that HUGE. When I explained it between epithets, he understood that 'maybe' he should have said something. My Brother in Colorado had one try to climb in the cab of his pickup when he was calling and spotting varmints late at night. He said all he saw was 'paws and claws' reaching in and swinging at him through the 6 inch opening in the window. Good thing it was cold that night or the window would have been wide open.
Beautiful animal, very surprised a car got it.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WDH

I don't see the point in shooting one.  Not worth eating, so no point in taking its life.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Well WDH, that was more that 30 years ago now that I think about it. Holy cow, no, it was the 70's so that is over 40 years (man, it sucks to get old), but those guys up there were a different breed from what society puts out today. Those e guys all worked full time jobs 45-70 hours a week running heavy equipment, logging, building, built their own homes from the logs they harvested after work and on the weekends. During hunting season, they took off from work and hunted whatever was legal leaving their homes at 4am to get to the stand or ground they had chosen to hunt. Everything they harvested went to feed their families for the year. Everyone in the household got their tags and they were all filled in order to fill the freezer. They would keep a pig or a cow for the meat, and have some chickens for eggs if they could keep them alive. They kept their rifles in their skidders during the season in case they got lucky. It was a different time and their are just a few of these guys left. 
 I never did find out what they guy who shot the bobcat did with it, but I have no doubt he used every piece of it. Nothing got wasted. These guys would make knives and tan hides through the winter when the snow was too deep. I kept track of one of the kids from this group. He is making his living doing chainsaw carvings of a very high quality, barely made it through high school, but now he is an 'artist ' in high demand. Last time I talked to that kid, he was 14 and I was up on the mountain to sight in a .222 I was working on. He thought he could out-shoot me with his 30-30. (He considered me a 'city guy' because I wasn't on the mountain.) It was a fun learning experience for him, better for me. 
 It was a different time with different people. Those guys spent their entire lives in the woods, nothing was wasted that came their way. A bobcat pelt brings quite a price tag. Just sayin', when you got bills to pay and kids to feed.....

thecfarm

@Peter Drouin ,some of them guys know how to set them up.
Stepson has a small bear reaching for a beehive. The stepson found a beehive at a antique shop. The taxidermist supplied the tree limb that the bear is sitting on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Fish & Game said no, have to give it back to them. So I said how about give it to me after they're done. 
They said It would it be in too many pieces to mount ::) ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Old Greenhorn

I dunno Pete, that sounds a little hokey to me. Bet it winds up on his mantle. ;D

Peter Drouin

He came today to get the cat. I ask him if I find a kitten can I keep it? The look on his face, :D :D :D I ask the vet if she would give it all the cat shots that she doses with my siamese?
NO. :D
If I could I would have all of Gods aminals as pets. As long as there was not too much mischief going on.
How nice it will be in Heaven when the sheep lays down with a lion.
And I will see Ann again. :(
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!