iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got your seeds for 2021?

Started by SwampDonkey, February 13, 2021, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Got your seeds all ordered? Better get them early because I'm seeing a lot of seed sold out already at some online stores. Just ordered mine today, plus a couple new rhubarb bulbs. I have a few old ones I can move to the garden, but wanted to try a couple new kind. I ordered mine from Vesey's, they carry the seed varieties for up this way.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Skip

Got some of mine, lot on backorder . Price jump on some sites . Was suprised that a lot of the "exotic" stuff was sold out ie: squash ,egg plant . Suppose the seeds were hard for them to get . ???

Tacotodd

I'm wondering how much of it has to do with world status at this time.
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tacotodd on February 13, 2021, 11:01:31 AM
I’m wondering how much of it has to do with world status at this time.
I'm pretty sure the supply is here, it's a matter of packaging the extra demand up and shipping it all. There was a lot more gardens 30 years ago than the increased demand right now. I see very few new gardens around here. And I seen a lot of gardens abandoned last summer, so many of them aren't going to bother this year. Reminded me of dad's neighbor, thought it was a good idea to grow a garden because dad always was. Neighbor planted one and never went near from then after. This guy never had his hands in dirt in his life. And them 3 kids sure ain't. :D

Premier says we gotta grow more food. I says who? Where are they? :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old saw fixer

I ordered some seed today, after several years of letting the land "lay fallow" i am going to try again. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

69bronco

Ordered mine in November. Looked up a few diff things the other day, mostly out of stock. Prices are crazy!

SwampDonkey

Got confirmation on everything I ordered today, it don't get shipped until in the middle of spring, I have some rhubarb bulbs in the mix. I have lots of rhubarb, but these are a different variety. I like rhubarb juice, and it's not as sugary as soda pop and all them good vitamins in it to. I drank up my winter's supply, I was only able to make 4 bottles because we had no water all summer, so the plants went dormant for most of the summer. ::)

Old saw fixer

My seed order came in yesterday.  I buy some seed from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, I can find some heritage seed for varieties acclimated to our hot humid weather.  I'll get some pepper and tomato slips at the gardening center.  If things in the garden do well, in the late summer I'll try to get some collard and cabbage slips for a fall/winter crop.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

thecfarm

rhubarb juice? I have never heard of it. recipe? I have a ton of it, the strawberry type and the old fashioned type too. Almost lost the old fashioned one. It was behind the farm house and being over run with grass. Brought it up to the garden so I can keep a watchful eye on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I set this up last Saturday, 1000 w LED grow lamps.

And in a week this. I have some bell pepper planted that has not germinated yet. But these tomatoes, lettuce and radish are going gang busters. ;D

radish-lettuce from old seed

big beef, not so big yet. ;D A couple more cavities to germinate, but great so far. I have a lot more planted in jiffies yesterday, including Scotia, Sweet mountain (cherry tomato) and more big beef.

I also put some jalapeno into jiffies yesterday.

Hopefully, see some bell pepper's come up by Sunday. :)

newoodguy78

First planting of sweet corn went in two days ago, about 2 1/2 acres

SwampDonkey

Could plant fields up here to, but apparently potato seed is in short supply. :o

newoodguy78

We were going to do some potatoes here this year as well same thing couldn't get the seeds...

WV Sawmiller

Why not use the potatoes you get at the grocery store? 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

btulloh

Most if not all of the taters in the grocery chain are sprayed with something that retards the growth from the eyes. I still get some sprouts on store taters, but I'm told that even though they do eventually sprout, they don't make good seed. Curious what others may know about this. 

Haven't checked the feed and seed this spring to see if they have seed potatoes here. Need to check that out, but I'm not growing taters these days. 
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Lots of articles out there on the web about using store taters for seeds. Looks like somebody is doing it. I know we used to buy Blackeyed peas in the bags and planted them with good results too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

newoodguy78

Not saying you can't do it but from my experience you won't get the germination from ones from the store. As btulloh said I've heard they're treated. The other thing is with a crop with as low margins as potatoes you can't pay full retail price, get half as much as expected for a yield. Big difference between doing it for your own consumption and growing them trying to make money.

SwampDonkey

It's possible to grow from grocery potatoes, the growth might be affected because of the growth inhibitor sprayed on the table stock. You could grow a little garden of it and see what results. But commercial growers, which is the case for most spud farmers up this way, can't go that route because seed for that is roqued for diseases and impurities (other varieties in the seed) and certified by governments of Canada and the USA. You'd be made to destroy the crop. For your little garden, do it and tell no one. ;)

SwampDonkey

The inhibitor (chlorpropham) is put on the potatoes as they are stored. I believe the brand we used was Sprout-Nip. It's been used by the industry for nearly 60 years and is food safe.

Thank You Sponsors!