iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new hat.

Started by Jeff, March 04, 2021, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I was in Jay's sporting good the other day looking to see if I could find a pair of more modern snowshoes. Turns out there is no such thing in the winter of 2021. At least around here.  On the way out, I walked near this rack of  Pendleton hats. I reached out and grabbed one and plopped it dangerously on my head, seeing as there had been at least 27,236 covid infected hands that had done the same thing as me.  (NOT)

As soon as the hat hit my head it felt like it was made for me. I put it back and tried several others. Nope. IT'S THAT ONE!   Tried it back on. Perfect. I turned it over in my hands knowing it was a very nice hat. I finally turned the tag over and saw how much it was.  I placed it gently back in it's spot on the rack and Tammy and I walked out.

I kept thinking about it the rest of the day. HUH? Thinkin about a hat? I told my sister about it. I told my daughter about this perfect hat. She said DAD! GO BUY THE HAT!  You never buy anything for yourself!  I told her that there was only one like it, and it was my size, and it was probably gone by now. She said go it it! This was 7 in the evening. I said Stacy, they would be closed if I went back.  She says YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING AND GO GET THAT HAT!. If you are supposed to have it, it will still be there.

So that is what I did. I got up and waited until time for them to open, and drove the 15 minutes to the store and was there before they opened. I walked in, and there is was, same spot on the rack. If you know me, you know I am not the kind of a guy that will buy a $100 hat. But I did.  And if you know me, you know, if I bought a $100 hat, I'm going to make it my own like no one else's. And I did. With a grinder, a diamond drill and some sandpaper and a puddingstone. :)   I'm wearing it in my new profile pic.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Looks good. I hope you get 100 years of service out of it then pass along to your favorite grandson (granddaughter?).

BTW if you are looking for new snowshoes from your last posting you might also want to try shopping in safety aisle and be looking for a good hard had or bike helmet. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

I did danG good in a pair of snow shoes that had hung on the cabin wall since the last millennium.   I had a pair of borrowed ones that I got along find in. Even in the drifted 4ft stuff.  I have a vid I took. Not of me, but while walking. I'll post it over on Southside's topic.

I plan on going up tomorrow with Sawyer if I can after a big dentist appointment today. Just him and I. I may even do some snow camping. Tammy said "UMM NO!" to sleeping in a bag in the snow under a log. :)  I've got a lot I want to talk about but I just can't right yet. Some big changes coming for us that I do not want to jinx. Getting this hat, and heading for back the woods where my soul is.

SwampDonkey

Listen to your kids, that hat is definitely a you hat. :) That'll last a long time my friend.

I paid $125 for my sheep skin wool trucker's hat, made in Winnipeg. Buffalo check plaid. No regrets. ;D

I told you about snowshoes already, no go. Never hurts to try. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Andries

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 04, 2021, 01:26:29 PM. . . . my sheep skin wool trucker's hat, made in Winnipeg. Buffalo check plaid. No regrets. ;D
A lot of the best dressed woodsy types buy their hats here. 😆 
That's a long trek for you SD.
We're you on a visit to see your Hermit buddy in ND?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

I have no room to talk about snowshoes as I have never been on a pair. Before I think I try some I will have to see if they make them with training wheels. :D I remember a few years back we had a heavy, for us, snow and my wife walked out in the lot and stepped in a drift about 3' deep and tripped and I had to go help her up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I full well know the boost in well being from a hat that picks you and looks as good as yours. Good for you on pulling the trigger!
 As for the snow shoes, I have 4 pair (almost enough) and one pair of those is 'modern'. They are OK, but it just depends on what you get used to and spend the most time in. Tailed shoes are tough is tight brushy areas. I's be happy to lend you mine, but there isn't enough time to get them to you for the trip, sorry.

I have two hat stories to share for those who have time:
 Several years ago (3?) I was working at a large music festival as I always do, but that year my neighbors had gotten booked for the week at the festival after several years of trying to get that booking. So one afternoon I take the Mom and her son on a walking tour of the grounds while dad and daughter stayed in camp. We went down the midway and eventually came upon the 'hat guy'. I don't know his name, but he is a very funny outgoing guy with a Ukranian accent. Anyway, the boy starts trying on hats and finds a nice fedora type hat the sits him well. He looks up at his Mom and says 'what do you think, Mom?" Well Mom approves, but that hat isn't really cheap (nor overly expensive), but before she can render a decision, Hat Guy steps in and tells the boy "that hat chose you, yes sir, that is certainly your hat for sure. Tell you what, I only do this once in a while when I see such a good fit with a new owner, but I want you to have that hat, it's on me." Well Mom looks at him and is wondering what the catch is, but he makes it clear there is no catch, he meant what he said. She is pleased, but fair is fair, she asks if maybe she has anything she can trade? He says no, not really unless she might have some CD's or something from the bands playing at the festival, he collects those.  She smiles and says "yeah I think I can hook you up with a few things." He didn't know she was one of the artists performing that weekend. She went back the next day and 'hooked him up' good with a bunch of their merch.
 I was so impressed by this guy giving a hat away that I started looking hard for myself. A day later I found a Bowler hat that sit really well and I thought would look good for winter gigs and other festivals, etc. But I didn't really know if I could wear that hat well. He did his best to tell me he thought that hat was all me. Finally he says "I tell you what, you take that hat and wear it around here for a day or so and see what kind of feedback you get, if you like it, come back and pay me, if you don't like it, just give me the hat back. I bought the hat. :D BUT it took me a while to get comfortable wearing it, although I eventually got used to it. The next summer I bought another one in grey.
 Which leads to the second story. 2 years after I bought that hat, it had light and careful use and was stored in under cover to keep it clean. I was wearing it at another festival where a buddy on mine had driven up from KY to help on the sound crew. He admired the hat and when he tried it on, I realized it was his hat and told him he should get one. He said he liked it and would think about it. Well, the festival ended Sunday night and as I was leaving the grounds at about 2am on Monday morning I stopped by the bunkhouse where he was sleeping (he would hit the road around 6am), snuck in, and left the hat on his gear with a note that just said, this fits you better than it fits me.
 Well he truly loves that hat and now he wears it on every gig his band plays and it is included in all the album artwork. He forgot it for one gig and a band mate called up his wife and had her run his hat down. The band thinks of it as a good luck charm.

It's funny the things you find in a hat sometimes.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

THAT was a great story(s). Thank you. :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Andries on March 04, 2021, 02:04:59 PM
That's a long trek for you SD.
We're you on a visit to see your Hermit buddy in ND?
The power of mouse clicks, a credit card and the postal service. :D :D
Got it at Crown Cap.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Hah, I completely forgot the reason I began the reply on this thread in the first place. :D
 I was going to say that I have have one nice Pendleton in my collection that sits me well and I only wear out to nice events. There are only a few folks I see wearing similar Pendleton's around here, one is Jay Unger and the other is John Sebastian.
 Jay's Daughter Ruth (the 'Mom' in the previous story) once walked up behind me as I was seated in a theater waiting for her show to begin. She snuck up and put her arm around my neck and gave me a kiss on the cheek, which was just about the time she realized I wasn't her Dad. :D :D It was the hat that threw her off, his and mine are pretty dang close. All good though, I am never offended by kisses from pretty gals. I'm a good sport that way. ;D I'm sure you have heard Jay's music at the very least by the score to Ken Burns' Civil War Documentary.
 John has a bunch of nice Pendleton's that sit him well. A couple of months ago John's wife posted a rare photo of him on Facebook and everyone was commenting on how great he looked and things of that sort. I just posted "HEY! did he get a new hat?" She laughed and said "Yeah, I took the photo to show him how good it looked. You know all his hats?" "Yeah, I do, he picks good ones." I am pretty sure everyone knows John's music.
 Enjoy that nice hat.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Jeff

SwampDonkey

You were a Kotter fan weren't ya? :D

Cool hat story Old Greenhorn. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 05, 2021, 04:38:49 AM
You were a Kotter fan weren't ya? :D
Well actually my interest goes back to a bit before that and began with the Even Dozen Jug Band (only 1 album, but a landmark in the music trend of the time not realized until much later) in 1963, In that band that John started was a gal named Maria who may have been my first true love although I never even met her. Also there was  a guy named David Grissman who I finally met around 2013, but that's another story for another time. When the Band broke up John went on the start the Lovin' Spoonful (Summer in the City, et al), David went off to do his own thing later hooking up with a guy named Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) and many others, Maria moved to the Jim Kweskin Jug band. The Kweskin band had a fella named Geoff Muldaur who Maria married (therein breaking my heart), and a fella named Bill Keith who had just finished playing a year with Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys and also who, just 47 short years later became my teacher, mentor, and very close friend. They all went on their own paths after several albums together but stayed lifelong friends. Most of them visit from time to time in the Woodstock area. Geoff has even been to a backyard concert at my house and his daughter, SIL, and grandkids live about 15 minutes from me. Maria went on to cut a very long string of albums including the Midnight at the Oasis album which many folks know. She has over 50 albums to her credit now and that last mentioned one is not among her favorites, but it does pay the bills.
I began attending events and gigs with Bill and many times without him when he was off touring and through those backstage and backroom encounters and tiny semi-private music gigs I met John, David and many others. But the night I met Maria in person for the first time, I was glad my wife was with me or I might not have kept control of myself. She got up and sang a few tunes that night just for fun and I melted into a puddle. When she did Richland Woman Blues, it was all over for me. About a year later during another visit she sat next to me at a small club with a tiny crowd (nobody knew she was coming, but I saw her in the post office the day before and knew she wouldn't miss that gig). I tell you that night was something special for me. She was amazed that I knew her discography so well and reminded her of things she had long forgotten but made quite an impression on me. I think I even got a peck on the cheek, but the whole night was too much for me to handle. but I digress...
John is around town a lot but he keeps on the down low. There is one annual gig he never misses, is 3 days, and he is there most of the time filling in for performers that can't make it, meeting old friends, or just having fun. A couple of years ago I saw him play Summer in the City on his banjo, that was a treat! I mentioned it to his wife the following week and she remarked that he hadn't mentioned it and she was sorry she missed that. I work that event so I see him a lot. John, Catherine (John's music photographer wife), and Maria remain very close friends and Maria stays with them when she is in the area.
We get lucky around our small area when folks like this decide to help out on something local. This is the library fair a few years back:

John Sebastian, Maria Muldaur - Woodstock NY Library Fair July 23, 2016 - YouTube

I love John's hollow body on this tune with that thumping blues riff. Also it's my favorite of Maria's tunes.
This video, shot just a couple of weeks ago which includes John with a current hat is in support of a local theater complex that has just had a multi million dollar refurb by the woman in the video. John did a lot of work in these studios back in the day with many artists, not to mention the Woodstock Mountain Review albums which included all local musicians that went on to do more great things, like Pat Alger, who wrote more than a few tunes for Garth Brookes (The Rover, et al):

'Welcome Back to Bearsville' presented by John Sebastian - YouTube

I got a private tour about 6 months ago before the artwork murals were complete, can't wait to get back. Lizzy has done a wonderful job starting from the foundation on up.
Anyway, I had no way of knowing when I was 17 that someday I would get to meet, talk, and hangout with the people that were creating the popular music of my youth and beyond. It has, and continues to be one of the greatest joys in my sorry life.
I apologize for side tracking the thread a bit, but these are the kinds of things I think of when I look at a hat on my rack and where I have worn it. I guess I am just a little messed up that way. ;D

Jeff

SIDETRACK??!!  You made my day thinking my new hat created this topic. Love it! :)

Hilltop366

That Bearsville looks like a fantastic place. Music has always been a part of our lives and fun here, of the 7 kids in our family 6 of us play something most play several instruments and a few good singers but it always seems hard to get us all together.

(edit) Almost forgot Nice hat Jeff!

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, it is, now. There is a lot of history there for sure. The list of artists recording producing and performing there boggles the mind, and the behind the scenes verbal history is pretty cool. A lot of artists who didn't have the cash would work in the studio producing other's work in return for getting their own studio time between 2am and 9am every night. Todd Rundgrun was well known for working around the clock like this. Albert Grossman built the place and also had some private residences on adjacent properties for Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, and other artists in his stable. there is a recording studio, a multi-media studio, the theater, bar, and 3 restaurants (one of which used to be Grossman's office suite) in the complex now. Grossman is buried in the yard out back (illegally) marked only by a 4" square stone. Few folks know that and there are photo shoots out there all the time, it's a pretty area by the stream.
 In the last 10 years it had gone way down hill with no building maintenance at all. The bathrooms stunk something bad due to bad pipes in the walls, the management didn't appreciate what they had. Most of the good historical stuff was dumped in piles in back rooms. I was working an event there and found a pile of gold records in frames piled in the bottom of a closet to give you an example.
 Now is a new day, this gal has spent several million of her own money redoing foundations, all basic plumbing, roofs, decks, tree maintenance, and a million other things. It truly is a wonder to see know and I can't wait to get back to working there in October for the next Invitational Luthier's show. Hopefully our exhibitors can come from overseas and make it a full show.

As for your family, you are very fortunate indeed. Nobody in my family is so inclined. I came to music late in life and have been very blessed by it. I have some very close friends that play great music either on the front porch or on the big stage around the world.

See what your new hat started Jeff?
 Actually I have been a 'hat guy' since I was 5. I had a plastic fire chief's hat that shows up in childhood photos for more than a year, a red stocking cap that showed up in all the winter outdoor photos, and I have always worn hats. Ball caps, hunters hats, cowboy hats (I have 3 and one is a 4x beaver Stetson that ran me close to 200 bucks but I got it for our wedding, along with new bull hide boots). I never knew why I had this hat thing, still don't. But it's good to see I am not the only one who appreciates a good one that fits just right  and looks really good.;D

SwampDonkey

I take it Pete Seeger never ran with that crowd. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 05, 2021, 08:21:50 PM
I take it Pete Seeger never ran with that crowd. ;D
Well, there were several crowds and Pete was kind of the Grand daddy. He lived just across the river, but in the 60's he had a house in Woodstock (which Eric Weissberg later bought, not knowing it had been Pete's, Eric was the guy who made Dueling Banjos a popular tune, a good friend taken by Alzheimer's 2 years ago). Pete had a lot of connections to folks on this side. Remember at the same time there were the rockers making new music, we still had the folkies doing their thing all along for a very long time. There was a great deal of intermingling and still is. Good music is good music, no matter what it is. I saw Pete often enough and saw one of his last public stage performances a few months before he passed, less than 5 miles from my house. Remember the boy who got the free hat in the above story? He and his sister have always known Pete as "Gandpa Pete" and spent a lot of time in his company. Pete was one hell of a fine man and it was a pleasure to have spent even just a little while with him. I have mentioned that Ashokan center where I put in some volunteer time several times a year and they have two stages, one is called the "Pete Stage" and the other is called the "Toshi Stage" (Pete's wife). Yes, they visited this side of the river often.

Logger RK

Iv had a few Black Cowboy Hats through the years. Don't wear it Logging,but when it's time for a few Old Mill's The Hats on. Last ten years about I have a Black Leather one. Best fitting IV had. I even got a Cowboy Skull Tattoo with Black Hat & Sour Apple Green eyes(my equipment is all painted that color)when I turned 51. First tatto,but probably not my last. 

Old Greenhorn

I haven't had an occasion to wear my Stetson's in a long time, but I have a wedding coming up in September where I think it's a good fit. The right hat for the right event. It's important. ;D

Swamp, I found a video of that very performance I referenced which I share here. If you are a Pete fan, you might enjoy it. One of his best I have ever seen, but I do love that man. He was not in good health at this time and close to his end of life. His mind was playing tricks on him and he he knew it. He freely shared with the audience that they had to sing to help cover for the lyrics that escaped him at the moment. I was mid-field for this whole performance and had a lump in my throat the whole time. There were some very tender moments back stage. near the end of his set he looks off back stage and says to Mike (The Dad in my first Hat story) and tells him him "I can't think of any more tunes", Mike just says "Early Morning" and off Pete went again, that was about the time I lost it. (By the way, that is the 'Mom' and "Dad" from the first hat story playing with Pete in the last tune, along with their Daughter, then Jay Unger and Molley Mason join them halfway through, unfortunately, the video cuts off at that point. I will search for a full cut of the set.)
 Yeah, it's a neat community and I am pretty lucky.
Pete Seeger Ashokan Summer Hoot 2013 - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

Hah Swamp, I found another video that picks up where the other dropped off. The little boy playing guitar is the boy in the first hat story, but this was a few years before he got that hat. 
 A lot of folks had a hard time singing along and the harmony was terrible because everyone was pretty choked up. We had a feeling we would never see Pete on a stage again and unfortunately, we were correct. But what a great day that was.
Pete Seeger - Summer Hoot 2013 - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

Sorry Jeff, I really fell like I hi-jacked your thread. I just got carried away.
 By the way, Pete is wearing a 'Clearwater" cap in those videos, lots of story there, but you can google all that stuff.
 Again, I'm sorry. No excuses, but the music thing, especially folks I know and love, gets me going.

Tacotodd

Make no excuses OGH. It's just a addin to this thread. It sounds like Jeff understands, maybe even appreciates.
Trying harder everyday.

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Man, who doesn't remember a lot of those genuine Peter Seeger songs, eh? :) Yeah, he's missed for sure. His voice was petty weak, like the last few albums Johnny Cash put out, was more like talking than singing. Get'n old ain't for sissies.

Jeff

Today Tammy and I went to visit my sister Lynda and take her a quart of chili and to get my hair cut. My sister do like my chili! It was also a chance to model my new hat. She said she thought it looked great on me and she pulls no punches. If I is ugly. I Is ugly. She then says, "would you like to have Pete's brown hat? It looked something like that. He never wore it. I said sure, I never saw him ever where a hat like that.

So she and Tammy go up stairs, and a few moments later Tammy comes down the stairs, wearing Pete's hat PERFECTLY.  I never new my brother in law had a small head.  :D  Tammy has a special new hat.

Check this chick out...

Old Greenhorn

Super, now you both have an excuse to get cleaned up and get out and be seen! I dunno, maybe have a pig roast or something?

SwampDonkey

A howdy doody partner. ;D

Jeff

What does this picture have to do with my hat? Even I would wonder.

Today I restacked all the blocks in the section between the steps and the house because they are only on half cement half soil and they had settled and were tipping bback and ready to slide apart.  I finished the job and realized I had had my hat on the entire time and never knew it.  I found that significant. :).

Old Greenhorn

And THAT ladies and gents is when you truly know that your hat is a part of your very being and truly a part of you. Few better feelings have I had.
 Now If I could just get mine to grow as my hair grows and not blow off in the wind, life would be good for me. (I am trying this old man-long hair thing because frankly I no longer care, have not had long hair since high school and wanted to try it out and save some haircut money. You may call it poor hygiene, but I shave once a month, let the beard go, and the hair grow, just because I can. But the hair is a real pain.)

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!