iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Promise.

Started by Jeff, April 27, 2021, 11:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

In March of 2012, Tammy and I were presented with a gift.. It was an American Felling Axe commissioned by a group of Forestry Forum members, and created by craftsmen Nebruks and John Neeman of Latvia.

That night I made a promise to myself. That Axe would not be used simply to go out and prove it could chop something. It would reside on the stand made for it in a special place until there was a time and a place where it could prove is value not only a an axe, but as the gift it was intended to be. I'd dreamed of a cabin in the U.P, since I was a young man. Through ups and downs and trial and tribulation and worlds of change since then, we FINALLY HAVE A CABIN. It is the cabin I have mentioned and talked about for years on the Forestry Forum, and now it belongs to my sister Lynda, Tammy and myself.

The day has come. PROMISE KEPT. Thank you to all our Forestry Forum friends from around the world. Thank you.

Please take the time to look at the links below to see the whole story of this axe and truly, how meaningful it is to me.

The Promise. Putting the John Neeman American Felling Axe into Service. - YouTube

The making of an American Felling Axe.

A Very Special Auction  

The Gift.  
The Story as told by Forestry Forum member scsmith42 "I guess that I should start this off by saying "axe and you shall receive" :D Thinking back, three things came together at the same time that led to the idea of the axe team. The first thing was reading about some of the challenges that Jeff was dealing with from a couple of former members, and the hassle and frustration all around. The second thing was the thread about folks missing Tom, and how a number of us had been thinking about him recently and thinking back about his practicality and wisdom. Then, when Jeff started this thread about the axe, John and Jacob's exquisite craftsmanship and how he was sad because he couldn't bid on it himself, the idea started forming about pulling a group together to bid and win the auction, and then donate the axe back to Jeff and Tammy. In the back of my mind was the realization of how much, and how positive an impact that the Forestry Forum has had upon our lives these past twelve years...."
Continue story here....

@scsmith42 @Burlkraft @doctorb  and everyone else involved. Thanks again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

scsmith42

Jeff, thanks for sharing this very special moment with us. That sure is one sweet axe and it was great that you took us along for its inaugural use!

Thanks also for bringing forth some very poignant memories. There were quite a few members of the FF involved on the axe team and it was a privilege to have been associated with it.

The Forestry Forum is truly a great family, and so many of us have been blessed to be a part of what you and Tammy created and maintained for the benefit of others. You have our everlasting gratitude.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Yes, that "Auction" was a very special time in the history of the Forestry Forum.  8)

It's good to see that Axe felling some very special trees.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done Jeff. I wasn't around for the Axe party, but it is clear with just a few swings of that tool that that axe cuts better than anything I have ever swung. That has to feel good in the hands. 
 Your choices in the way you have honored the tool, your friends, and your dream speak volumes. I wish there may come a day when I can swing such a well made tool in such a meaningful way. But as you well know, precious few are that lucky. Good on ya man, and thanks for that video to share it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doctorb

What a wonderful continuation of a great story and a great time.  Many participated and it is rewarding to all.  Fantastic!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

A statement that I made about the Axe:  LINK

The Axe Auction topic: LINK

John Neeman built the first Axe that Jeff has.  He was then commissioned to build a second Axe after the first was gifted to Jeff, but was burned badly in his blacksmith shop.  I had ordered a Carpenters Axe for myself which was built just before the second FF Axe was forged.  (I have not cut anything with my Axe yet.)  Afterwards I ordered a Knife which was the last item that John built under the John Neeman name. 

Here is a link to my Axe & Knife that was built by John Neeman.  (I have the signed CO video of my Axe being built):  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Beautiful and rewarding post, Jeff and Tammy!

Thank you for Posting it for all to see!

I think my monitor screen even got foggy a couple times!  

Glad I was able to have a part in it!

Regards to all:  Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

aigheadish

This is a very sweet story and made even a new guy like me almost cry. 

Dang sharp too, that thing! Making short work of that tree! Well done!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

Congrats on finding that YouTube link.

I have the Signed CD of mine being made, but I lost the YouTube link.

Thank You Sponsors!