iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got some snow today!

Started by old3dogg, October 25, 2005, 06:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I wish to thank all the Northeasten folks for experiencing all the snow on my behalf.   ;D  I cna get all the snow fix I need watching it happen in other parts of the country. I really no longer have the urge to experience it myself.  You all keep up the good work!  smiley_grin_earmuff
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ohsoloco

Thought I'd share some with all of you that missed out  ;)

My lilacs didn't do so good  :(

crtreedude

Okay guys - what have you done to my climate!?  >:(  smiley_annoyed01

It is like 56 degrees F here today - my toes are freezing and I am sitting here with a polar fleece jacket on my body to stay warm.

I haven't yet put socks on though...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

OneWithWood

CR - ain't it amazing what Jeff can do with the limited te3chnology at his fingure tips.  You best mend your ways!  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

crtreedude

I put socks on, I am okay now. I still have the sandals though!  8)

Now that the hurricane is gone, we have rain. When a hurricane is heading your way, it sucks all the moisture out of the Northern Zone.

Next I am going to make myself a nice little camp fire if it keeps up... The piggies better be on good behavior or it might be time for Chicharrones!

Deadwood

Come on now guys, you are missing out on all the fun. Here, I will leave you a few pictures in case you get jealous about all the fun we are having up here. Why just last night there was 7 cars off the road! Now doesn't that sound like fun?

In order to enjoy winter, you got to get out there into the winter in my opinion. Once you do, it's not as cold as you think. Last year I was out snowmobiling every day, even in minus 30 degree F weather. I am not saying this to be an antagonist, but I really am one of those people that love winter. I guess it comes from growing up on a Dairy Farm. Winter was really the only time we coudl have fun and not do chores 24 hours a day.

Besides, when the ground is frozen you can twitch wood from places you could not touch any other time of year, and the lack of dirt in the wood does not dull your sawmill as bad either!

Here's some pictures from last winter!

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Snow_Gen_Scenery.html

Deadwood

Whoops, I got so excited thinking about the upcoming snowmobile season I forgot to add the current weather here in Maine. Its basically been switching back and forth between rain and snow all day.

Man am I ever ready for winter. I should get my new sled delivered on Monday!

Murf

SB, y'all had to go an mention Berlin, NH, now didn'cha ??

Now my mouth is watering for a Saturday night roast beef dinner at the Town 'n' Country Inn.

Roast Beast, Yorkshire puddin's's, bashed 'taters, gravy all over everything, and a big ole' pile of horse radish on'a side.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_hellow_im_here
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

PawNature

I think Tom would rub salt into an open wound. Seeing as how he lives in FL and having to sit around a stove. :) I ran into snow coming across I 68 monday at Kyser Ridge.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Deadwood

Here is the latest report from the top of Mount Washington. Darn I wish I was there!

Summit Conditions as of 8:04 AM EST   
Temp
18Ā°F  Wind
W24 MPH  Gust
34 MPH  WC
0Ā°F   

Observer's Comments:

07:50 AM Wed Oct 26, 2005 EDT

Tim giving scale to the incredible doorway drifts...   
Absolutely incredible. The 24 hour snowfall record for October, which stood for 36 years, shattered a mere 8 days ago, was broken again this morning. The summit picked up 27.5 inches of snow again with this latest storm, 25.7 of it in 24 hours, breaking the old record of 25.5 inches set on October 17th. We've had 72 inches of snow now in the last 12 days, nearly 25 % of a normal year's total!!!

More amazingly, the infamous record for total monthly precipitation set in February of 1969 at 25.56 inches has also been eclipsed, as we sit at 27.85 inches of combined rain and melted snow now for the month of October. Here's a picture of the Observatory staff celebrating the breaking of the record! Everyone in the picture took part in the historic walk to the precipitation can across the summit, and honestly we needed all the support in the 90mph winds and whiteout conditions. 

This morning, sitting under the relative calm of the upper level low, the essential eye of this storm, we've had a moment to walk around in a bit more serenity before sunrise. I can't find the words to describe the amount of snow on the summit anymore. I've used them all on the past storms earlier this month, and now they seem horribly insufficient. October is usually a month of transition, of freezes and thaws, and only averages a mere foot of snow. NEVER has such a complete snow pack built so quickly or so early on Mount Washington. 

The forecast today...what else...more snow, albeit lighter. Shift change has been delayed until tomorrow, the road...IMPASSABLE. Nearly a foot of snow fell even at the base of the Auto Road. Greg, the Hermit Lakes caretaker in Tucks also reports 24 inches of snow from the storm, and required an arduous 10 minute snowshoe to the snowstake this morning around fallen trees. This has me dreaming of only one thing...taking the rock board down the Sherburne Ski Trail in perhaps the most ski-able condition it's ever been in October! Until then...lots of shoveling ahead... 

What a (nother) storm! 

Jim Salge - Observer   

http://www.mountwashington.org/cam/deck/index.php# 

breederman

The lights flickered all night but mostly stayed on here.Power was out all over the area.
At 5:30 this morning on the way to my first stop ,I almost ran into a low wire.Got her stopped and tried to back up--no go. So I assess the situation and decided I did not like the looks of the bank next to the road.Get out measure the height of the wire and figure tat it should clear the breedermobile by a couple inches ----if I get real close to affore mentioned bank. :( No problem! Just puckerd up and it was all over in a jiffy. :D
Ā There must have been close to ten inches on top of some of the hills. If winter starts early does that mean it will be over soon?
Together we got this !

tnlogger

well seeing as it been awhile since we have been home and seeing as my  sweet wife Pat has decided that if she is going to visit she needs snow  :( so in her great wisdom she has decided to what until next month and go north. so I am stuck but on a better note I have talked her into going by way of Mi, Can, then maine now if I can talk her into stopping along the way I can do some visiting of my own.  ;D
as soon as I get the route worked out I'll see how close I can get to as many friends as I can  :) Looks like we'll be leaving the last wk of Nov. ending in in Bath me about the 15th of Dec.
for x mas with the in laws. and be back here the 15th of Jan.
gene

sawguy21

"Why just last night there was 7 cars off the road! Now doesn't that sound like fun?"

Up here, we call that car curling. Now for those  good folk south of the Mason-Dixon line, car curling is the fine art of getting the car doing 180's in slow motion on an icy road  and bumping others off  while keeping self on said road. It's a northern thing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

The old "boats" work best fer that game these new-fangled front wheel drives are no fun at all ;D ;D

Ianab

Lil checking for snow last weekend  ;D (didn't find any)

There is still plenty of snow up on the hill, but it's getting a summer feel everywhere else.

Cheers

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Quote from: Ianab on October 27, 2005, 03:19:38 AM
Lil checking for snow last weekend  ;D (didn't find any)

Yeah. Right.  :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

Well I found someĀ  ::) It might look nice but it caused quite alot of damage to my treesĀ  :'(

This is in Pinkham Notch near mt Washington.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Wow, that's quite a load of snow. Is it true Mnt Washington has 4 feet of snow now?  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I'd guess it was true. There is 8" on my land. Elevation 1400 feet. It's a mess and lots of trees down.

Rob

From what I heard on the radio this morning on the way to the woodlot , Mount Washington has 78 " of snow in the past month .. Wish it would head south I want some snow  ;D

crtreedude

SpruceBunny,

Just a couple of weeks ago we were in Bartlet visiting with the parents of our daughters fiance.  We talked about portable sawmills and sawing so I guess our daughter can marry him...

You live in a beautiful place - wish you good recovery on your trees.

sprucebunny

Wow...you were just about next door !!!! I didn't realize you would be so close or I would have told you to call or visit. ;D

crtreedude

Well, since the in-laws are going to be there and I would MUCH prefer to visit the White Mountains than Worcester (where they live) we will get the chance.

You don't always carry that chainsaw do you...  :-\

We were on a dead run or I would have checked - they are getting married in Castle in the Clouds. We had to scope it out.

We will be back in September for the wedding and have much more time on our hands, perhaps then will work.

sprucebunny

Hope it doesn't snow in September next year  :o Ya, I figured that you had a full schedual.

The chainsaw ( or 3) is always with me but not nessasarily in my hands ;D

Thank You Sponsors!