iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Google does it again...

Started by Paschale, October 25, 2005, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Check this out:

http://print.google.com/print?hl=en

So when is Google going to be running the world?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Deadwood

Dear Paschale,

I read about this in the paper. It seems as if Google is taking some of the more famous literacy books and electronically scanning them. It created a big stir because it goes against copy rights, but they got permission to do so from the government because "it will aid in research."

I guess you will not be able to read the whole book quite yet, just get quotes and paragraphs from certain pages when you type in search parameters.

I won't get into everything the paper said, but it is pretty scary. I mean I do my fair share of computer work, but I still have respect for authors and copyrights.

rebocardo

What they are doing is illegal,imo.

Tom

Is it really too much different than having a library in your city?

SwampDonkey

You could be expelled from college from photocopying copyrighted works when I was in school. I wonder how they can scan copyrighted works and publish on their web and get away with it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johncinquo

So when is Google going to be running the world?

As soon as Micro$oft gives them permission!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Jeff

From what I saw, there were only excerpts not whole books.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

What I heard on the radio today:

Google accidently made available some web pages that show they are going to run classifieds. I don't know what that means, unless it is competition for eBay--maybe not auctions, but with a set price. Guess I had better sign up for a gmail account.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I heard Ebay profits are declining.  :-\

Paschale

In theory, the idea is great.  I guess what bugs me is that I wonder in the future what the purpose of books will be.  As we move more and more to digitizing everything in our lives, then it becomes pretty important who owns and maintains the information.  I'm not a paranoid guy, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if books become obsolete, and computers become the only way people become accustomed to finding their information, then let's say 100 or more years from now, you could really have a recipe for a situation where a totalitarian government could really censure what people read and know without them even knowing about it!

It bugs me too how Google tracks information as use as a commodity.  From what I've heard, though Gmail is free, Google tracks what's written in those emails, and that derives how they shape the google and froogle search engines.  Also, they must keep track of Google searches, and the most common searches, and what people are looking for.

Case in point:  The world isn't filled with too many trombonists, (thankfully!), but one thing that is common to all of us is the use of one etude book.  It's often called the "bible for trombonists."  When I typed up trombone, that book popped right up on the first page!  The word trombone, yes, is in the title, but it's by two composers, Rochut and Bordogni.  There's no reason in the title of the book, or the content of the book that it should be on the first page or a search.  It wouldn't be the first element to pop up in a school library.  But...when you consider that many, many trombonists across the world shop and buy the Rochut book online, and undoubtedly use Google to find a good deal, then that makes me suspicious of how Google is using information.  Rochut is probably the most commonly used word in relationship to trombone in online searching, and it's clear that Google is keeping track of those things, if that book comes up so quickly on the first page.  It's really bizarre to me, and gives me pause.

I wonder too what the impact might be to the publishing world.  Take this Rochut book for example.  Let's say every page of the book can be found online.  What's to stop the budding trombonist from simply printing out every page on his home computer?  It's copyright theft, and it hurts the publisher, which then needs to curtail other products, and so potentially stifles the publication of new and important compositions for us trombonists.   ;)  This example could work for any real world field or situation I think too.

That being said, I think this would be a service used by many, many people...including me.  ::) To have a world of library books at your disposal would be remarkable, but I wonder how wise it is in the long run.

Just my WAY more than two cents!

Incidentally, in order to access more than just a few pages, you need to login with a Gmail account, which I don't have yet.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Gilman

Directions on the photo coppiers at Wazzu stated you could copy up to 2 or 3 pages out of a book without infringing on copyright laws. 

Books on the internet will go through the same cycle that music has been and still going through.  I don't see any advantage for me to go to the library and look something up that I could look up here.  Also, I'm not going to print out an entire book and cary it around with me.  It's much cheaper to pay someone with equipment designed to do such things.

Similar to Paschale's Sliding Trumpet book, I have a photo copy of a photo copy of a photo copied book on Vibratory conveyors.  The book has been our of print for over 50 years but is considered the bible of conveyors.  After a long search I found one original copy at a college in Eugen, OR. If a electronic version was available, I'd much rather pay for a fresh copy, especially how readily available it would have been.

Now we just need a convenient means of carrying around these electronic books.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

tnlogger

doug how many gmail accounts do you need  ;D I have a hundred or so invites left  :D
gene

DouginUtah

Quote from: tnlogger on October 26, 2005, 10:21:56 PM
doug how many gmail accounts do you need  ;D I have a hundred or so invites left  :D

Just one; that ought to be enough.   ;D

Thanks.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

tnlogger

doug send me an email and I send you one  ;)
gene

Thank You Sponsors!